Comparables to Brad Marchand at his best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Not just NHL players

Who are some comparables to Brad Marchand when he is at the top of his game

Red Wings fans can tell me if Mitch Callahan is similar or not
I don't think Mitch Callahan has the capability for offensive output that Marchand has

Ralphy*

Darcy Tucker came to my mind immediately.

Everyone hates playing them, love being on their team, they both yap like crazy people, and both have scored 20+ goals a few times, with Marchands best season so far at 55 points and Tucker's at 61.

Sorry if you want current players only though.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
The WWE version of Eddie Guerrero at his emergence in Lie Cheat and Steal

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Tucker is a pretty accurate comparable. Except that Tucker was not only a pest, but he would frequently drop the gloves too.

Perhaps I haven't watched enough Bruins games, but I never had the impression that Marchand was a fighter.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I would say Ryan Hartman can be a Brad Marchand eventually. Has really good offensive instincts and can be a pretty big agitator.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Jason Blake isn't a pest at all...

And scored 40 goals once.

I don't see it.

He was much more of a pest earlier in his career with NYI. He drew a lot of penalties. Of course, if a bear ***** in the woods. Not many people watched.

Ralphy*

He was much more of a pest earlier in his career with NYI. He drew a lot of penalties. Of course, if a bear ***** in the woods. Not many people watched.

I had no idea, that weirds me out as a Leafs fan as he was farely one-dimensional once he arrive in TO. :laugh:

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki

Everyone hates playing them, love being on their team, they both yap like crazy people, and both have scored 20+ goals a few times, with Marchands best season so far at 55 points and Tucker's at 61.

I've heard that so many times describing lots of players and its suits for some. Like Getzlaf or Lucic... but as of Marchand I would never want him on my team.

Its OK to be a pest, my favorite players have always been pests (Domi, Ruutu, Komarov etc.), but its not OK to be a little diving cheapshotting whiny brat what without a doubt Marchand is.

Ralphy*

I've heard that so many times describing lots of players and its suits for some. Like Getzlaf or Lucic... but as of Marchand I would never want him on my team.

Its OK to be a pest, my favorite players have always been pests (Domi, Ruutu, Komarov etc.), but its not OK to be a little diving cheapshotting whiny brat what without a doubt Marchand is.

Honestly, I'd be fine with Marchand on the Leafs. He's so effective when he's at his best.

I love Domi, Tucker, etc. too but they definitely took their fair share of cheap shots. Tucker didn't exactly whine, but he certainly complained a lot (though through a yell rather than a whine) haha

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
I was thinking of Theo Fleury too, but is there anybody in the league currently that is anywhere close to Theo's offensive game

I could only think of Marchand and Steve Downie and neither are really that close to Theo

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

Tucker without the mean streak is a good comparison as far as player role goes, but I don't think their playing style was all that similar.

BudMovin*

Way more dirty than Marchand.

Most pests are whiny brats.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's a pretty rare package when he's at his best. On top of his pest qualities, his edge work along the boards is fantastic, he's one of if not the most dangerous shorthanded player, he's really good in one-on-one situations, and he has a good shot and defensive acumen. Maddeningly inconsistent though.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA

Sounds like you don't watch the Bruins very often. That description barely matches Marchand despite what the rhetoric says. Lucic fits that a hell of a lot more.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Kudos to the Fleury comparison.

Tucker never had the hands Marchand "at his best" has. Just because people despise him doesn't make for a good match.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Turd_Burglar_by_tvskyle.jpg

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He's a pretty rare package when he's at his best. On top of his pest qualities, his edge work along the boards is fantastic, he's one of if not the most dangerous shorthanded player, he's really good in one-on-one situations, and he has a good shot and defensive acumen. Maddeningly inconsistent though.

Yeah this is true. Easy to forget how good Marchand can be.

Matt Cooke is similarly strong around the boards and is just a very sneaky player too. Not like March and but a clear NHL talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad