Comparables to Brad Marchand at his best

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Theo was so chippy. Marchand on his angriest, best day but Fleury was so feisty. Although Marchand is better defensively, he's one of the best defensive wingers in hockey

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
I hate to say it, but Matt Cooke.

I think they both have the same offensive touch but Cooke is more dangerous. I have never felt like Marshmont was going out there to hurt people... something I can't say about Cooke.

Xavier Laflamme*

I guess a close comparison that is still currently in the league, albeit not as talented, would be Steve Downie.

Downie has a career high of 46 points. While he doesn't come close to the offensive talent that Marchand has, he's not a complete plug either. He can play up and down the lineup while being an elite ******* out there on the ice.

I agree with th Fleury and Tucker comparisons, although those guys were much more intimidating to play against than Marchand will ever be.

Diagonaali

Jan 8, 2009
Finland
Clarke, Mikita, Fleury.

Plenty of pests at a higher level than Marchand.

I never considered Fleury a pest, but guess some might. His pestiness is much lesser than Marchand's, but I guess as a hockey player they do have many same elements in their game.

Mikita won Lady Byng twice...

You wouldn't seriously claim that Bobby Clarke's main feat was being a pest?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Speed, puck possession, grittiness. You can get worked up about ultimate quality of player, but stylistically, not so different. Most of the time, when you get a forward who plays with an edge, they're bigger and/or more of a goal-scorer than puck-handler, so the list of comparables isn't that long.

...Except Marchand's goals and assists split is about 50:50, and Damphousse is about 35:65, with Damphousse was no pest whatsoever. And he was also QUITE better.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Neither are as dirty as Marchand.

Alex Burrows is easily as dirty as Marchand. Let's not revise history here.

I'm not a Marchand guy at all. But watching him live (I just was at the B's-Wild game this week), you're sort of reminded how good he CAN be when he's on his game. There are very few guys that can protect the puck in tight areas like Marchand, especially for his size. Conversely, I watch a guy like Lucic (who is twice his size) constantly get the puck stripped from him along the boards.

Again, I'm just not a fan of his schtick, even as a B's fan. But I won't let that cloud my judgement on how good he is when he's on. He's far closer to Theo Fleury or Pat Verbeek (he's not as good) than he is some of the other names that have been tossed out here.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
either of these guys

verbeekarticle_33836_1.jpg

Dino-Ciccarelli.jpeg

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I never considered Fleury a pest, but guess some might. His pestiness is much lesser than Marchand's, but I guess as a hockey player they do have many same elements in their game.

Mikita won Lady Byng twice...

You wouldn't seriously claim that Bobby Clarke's main feat was being a pest?

Pre-Byng Mikita was as high as 3rd in the NHL in PIM...

LeftBackLegend

Oct 15, 2011
Hard to find any comparables, really. Back in the day players like him got their dues, and no-one would stand up for them. Claude Lemieux perhaps?

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
His closest comparable in the league is Brendan Gallagher IMO.

The only comparisons between these two is they can both be pest.
Gally has nothing on Marchand when it comes to cheap shots and plain dirtyness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->