Commentating ruins hockey

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
One of the recent Oilers games the game suddenly became extremely engaging and I felt like I was at the game. Ice sounds, players yelling clear as day..

Then Drew Remenda and his homie came on and snapped me out of my trance. Some saint unplugged their mic’s. Then some Satan plugged them in again :(

Reactions: iamjs

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I get where the OP is coming from.

I don't understand why the announcers just have to keep blabbing on and on about things not related to the play on the ice while the game is going on. I mean they already do a pre-game show...why can't they just limit themselves to calling the game?
This. The storytime hour and yukking through the broadcast is distracting. The Avs crew is pretty bad at this. They'll do it in critical situations too. I get that it's not easy to fill three hours a night but during a PP in a one goal game is not the time for personal stories. It didn't need to take bringing in the Ottawa guy during the global series to point out that the Avs were running a set play on the pp.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I get where the OP is coming from.

I don't understand why the announcers just have to keep blabbing on and on about things not related to the play on the ice while the game is going on. I mean they already do a pre-game show...why can't they just limit themselves to calling the game?
You must be talking about Denis Potvin. I mean seriously, you must be talking about Denis Potvin.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I get enough ice sounds in the 4 games a week I play. I enjoy commentary, most Leaf games aren't bad, but listening to the away teams makes me understand how many would hate it, there are some horrible play by play guys.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Nothing will ever top Pierre McGuire totally ruining a clutch Gord Miller call of a late WJC goal, because he was too busy gushing over "Tavares' magical play". :help:

Maybe Dave Mishkin. Nails on a chalkboard, that guy. How'd he even get that gig?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The worst thing is biased homer commentators :thumbd:

Just a shame there can't be neutral commentators for every game, the homerism ruins it for me.

In theory this is a great idea, but commentators are humans and will have their biases toward their favorite players / teams. Especially guys that have played in the league.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Agree with OP. It really would be a great option, and shouldn't be that difficult to offer on NHL.tv (can't imagine it's much harder than offering goalie cams, etc.).

My ideal watching experience would rink and arena sounds only, plus just staying on an overhead rink cam during commericals, no advertisements on the boards (hell, even having them in a single color like the cancer awareness ones is so much easier on the eyes).

One can dream.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Considering I have to listen to Ludwig and Razor, I agree. They're awful enough I'd rather just hear the noises in the arena.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
I prefer impartial commentating, but even if I didn't, his word choice is horrible.

"Like the predator he is..."

-Paul Romanuk on Erik Karlsson

Is that the sort commentating you enjoy? Probably not.

He once described Kessel jumping on a puck "like a panther on a goldfinch". People on twitter thought he said coke binge. He's been using "serpentining" quite a bit lately. The other night he began the broadcast talking about "the waxing moon on a cold November night..." It's unpredictable and hilarious to listen to.

Hughson and Simpson are best when upset and less talkative. Early in the game or when animated they are unbearably chatty. Simpson nearly forgets to breathe, he is talking so much.

In general I dislike the in-game recaps, clip packages, and ads the broadcasters have for products or network shows. I'd rather have one more tv timeout than all those ads creeping into the game. That's kind of a nice thing about soccer matches, league play or tournament. Nothing but the play, and the occasional replay, so long as it doesn't intrude on the live action.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
MLBAM who runs NHL.TV has a 'ballpark sound' mode for their MLB.TV streams and it's kind of cool but I find the commentary a bit more enjoyable in baseball so don't use it much. Definitely would for hockey though, so I'm hoping they can add a similar thing to NHL.TV. They just did a big update to the Roku app I use a few weeks ago, didn't add that functionality but it's nice to see some improvements after there was quality degredation the past few years.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
One of the recent Oilers games the game suddenly became extremely engaging and I felt like I was at the game. Ice sounds, players yelling clear as day..

Then Drew Remenda and his homie came on and snapped me out of my trance. Some saint unplugged their mic’s. Then some Satan plugged them in again :(

This right here is correct.

The announcers are for the most part just garbage these days. Jim Hughson and Chris Cuthbert are the only 2 decent canadian TV ones left. Unfortunately Hughson just does the Hockey Night In Canada Leafs games, and Cutchbert is stuck doing CFL games on TSN (because they lost hockey to Rogers).

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We should get commentators that are actually good at the their job, that would be a huge help (I'm looking at you Denis Potvin!).
While objectively he probably doesn't provide good commentary, I think you'll find a lot of us on HFSens that really enjoyed him having fun commentating games.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I like it but it depends a lot on who is doing it, I like people who are into it and have good focus on the game in front of them and not telling stories about other things while the game is going on. Just recently in that Penguins vs Bruins game Reaves got high-sticked and not only did the commentators miss it that camera crew showed Reaves on the bench tending to his face and they still were oblivious.

The other thing I expect is them to have some incite on the other team when it's a team broadcast, don't just live in a bubble where your team is all you know anything about.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The Kings and Ducks did this 4 - 5 years ago.

They both broadcast on Fox, so one channel went with the usual pxp announcing, and the other channel only broadcast the sounds of the game.

The novelty of no pxp got old in less than 10 minutes. I know I would never watch a whole game with just the rink sounds, and I certainly would never pay extra for it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The worst thing is biased homer commentators :thumbd:

Just a shame there can't be neutral commentators for every game, the homerism ruins it for me.

I presume you are a fan of a certain team.

Wouldn't you view any game though the lens of a biased fan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad