1706804336326.jpeg

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
It's not like it was a terrible hire, it's just okay

What matters more is the coordinators.

I agree with this. Guy is getting tons of hate and all the blame for Dallas' face plant against the packers, which I don't believe is entirely fair given a pretty damn good career otherwise.

The vast majority of fans here didn't want Quinn back either, but not because he sucks-- just wouldn't have been the fresh and exciting move that was needed. Should be a step up for DC.

Reactions: John Price

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's not like it was a terrible hire, it's just okay

What matters more is the coordinators.

I agree with this. Guy is getting tons of hate and all the blame for Dallas' face plant against the packers, which I don't believe is entirely fair given a pretty damn good career otherwise.

The vast majority of fans here didn't want Quinn back either, but not because he sucks-- just wouldn't have been the fresh and exciting move that was needed. Should be a step up for DC.
Even before the coordinator question is the question of who will be calling the plays on defense. If he gives control to the DC (doubtful), then it may be a good hire. If he's going to handle the plays, he'll be a disaster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even before the coordinator question is the question of who will be calling the plays on defense. If he gives control to the DC (doubtful), then it may be a good hire. If he's going to handle the plays, he'll be a disaster.
At this stage of his career, he’s better off leaving the play Calling to his coordinators.
Going to need a good OC for their QB that they will draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Realistically, everyone else is an unknown as a rookie HC.
Quinn got ATL to a SB and up 28-3. Left the play calling to Shanahan and well, there were mistakes on offense in the 2nd half. Probably needed to have had a quick chat with Shanny and tell him to call a smarter game. 1st down at NE 22 with under 5 minutes to go, needed to secure a FG attempt but ending up punting due to 2 holding calls and a sack.
Rejuvenated a Dallas D. Was he the guy to switch Parsons from LB to Edge?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This is a good hire for Washington. Much, MUCH, better than the kid from junior high school that Seattle hired.

There’s no question that guys love playing for Quinn. This was evident from way back when he was a position coach in Atlanta.

There’s also no question that Quinn is excellent at scheming a defence. He turned a mediocre unit in Dallas into consistently one of the top defences in the league.

Looking at one game against the Packers is laughably short sighted.

Sep 19, 2008
biggest win is that Harris got his guy. He got a big GM in Peters and now a coach who will strictly coach and not interfere with FO duties.

He does well on defense which should improve that bumbling unit, remains to be seen what he does on offense. Honestly the more I think about it the more I like it. Not sure why Harris gets a bad rap...

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is a good hire for Washington. Much, MUCH, better than the kid from junior high school that Seattle hired.

If Seattle got Dan Quinn, then it's another tree branch from the Pete Carroll era which the organization is trying to get away from. Seattle needed to start fresh, meaning new people that aren't attached to the old regime.

If Dan Quinn went to Seattle, it'll be same old same old. Rather have Pete Carroll back than Dan Quinn.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Quinn has a track record as a HC. So, you have history of how he will run his program. Figure, he learned from his ATL stint. Offense will still be handed over to OC, but he'll step up to reign the OC in if he feels they are getting sidetracked.

DC, I think he lets someone run it that knows the system he wants to use. Could be someone from his SEA, ATL, Dal tenures. Plenty of options for him.

Guess everyone is hoping for the next McVay/Shanny for offense.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Quinn has a track record as a HC. So, you have history of how he will run his program. Figure, he learned from his ATL stint. Offense will still be handed over to OC, but he'll step up to reign the OC in if he feels they are getting sidetracked.

It wasn't the OC or his offense that lost SB

It was Quinn and his D

Infact the only reason the Falcons even made it to SB that year was because of the offense. The D was atrocious

Now that I think about it his D was terrible most of his time as Falcons HC and the offense went on decline without Shanahan

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Dan Quinn was a major upgrade when he arrived to the Cowboys, but his love of undersized DL and LBs made his scheme unworkable against better teams. His embrace of speed over size works great when the team has the lead and opponents are throwing every down, but it was fatally flawed when facing teams with physical run games. Even when he knew run plays were coming, he was still putting undersized nickel and dime groups out there and was watching backup CBs failing to play run defense.

Quinn's defense also wore down each season with the Cowboys. For the first third of the season, best in the league. For the final third, dramatic drop off.

But we'll see. Maybe he learned from his time with the Cowboys. It's not that he was bad or anything, but his style of defense is not going to work in the playoffs against physical teams. My guess is Washington sees a good boost in the standings soon from his professional approach. He is a good coach. His guys love him.

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... his love of undersized DL and LBs made his scheme unworkable against better teams. His embrace of speed over size works great when the team has the lead and opponents are throwing every down, but it was fatally flawed when facing teams with physical run games. Even when he knew run plays were coming, he was still putting undersized nickel and dime groups out there and was watching backup CBs failing to play run defense. ...
Agreed with this part. He played 6 DBs on all but 6 plays for the whole game, the Packers averaged 9.5 yards on first down running the ball, and he made no adjustments.

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
I’m so happy he’s done in Dallas. His scheme couldn’t stop the run, when a team wanted to bully them, and run it down their throats. It happened numerous times during his watch. Thank you God. Next.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
If Seattle got Dan Quinn, then it's another tree branch from the Pete Carroll era which the organization is trying to get away from. Seattle needed to start fresh, meaning new people that aren't attached to the old regime.

If Dan Quinn went to Seattle, it'll be same old same old. Rather have Pete Carroll back than Dan Quinn.

Pete Carroll engineered the greatest period of success in the history of the franchise - - no idea why Seattle would be so anxious “to get away from” winning.

This is what happens when an owner with ZERO football acumen tries to get involved with running the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad