OT: Comedian Robin Williams Found Dead

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
ive never been more sad of an actor dying before but this ine actually makes me sad. especially the way it happened.

so many hits: dead poets society, good morning vietnam,jumanji,good will hunting,aladdin,mrs.doubtfire, rv, and of course mork and mindy and many more. u will be missed

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
If you guys haven't seen it, watch the hilarious Louie episode Barney/Never. RW is in it, and the whole thing is a little haunting now, given his recent passing.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
If you guys haven't seen it, watch the hilarious Louie episode Barney/Never. RW is in it, and the whole thing is a little haunting now, given his recent passing.

That episode was brilliant. It's typical Louis C.K., makes you laugh , makes you think.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Very sad, loved Robin Williams, was a huge part of my childhood. Mork and Mindy and his early standup stuff was really good. Good Will Hunting and Dead Poets Society are 2 of my favorite movies and he was spectacular in Hook as Peter Pan.

Depression sucks, my aunt went through the exact same thing, drugs and alcohol only make it worse and it becomes a vicious cycle of sadness. I hope Robins death contributes to mental health awareness and helping more people let others know they are suffering. RIP Robin.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
ive never been more sad of an actor dying before but this ine actually makes me sad. especially the way it happened.

so many hits: dead poets society, good morning vietnam,jumanji,good will hunting,aladdin,mrs.doubtfire, rv, and of course mork and mindy and many more. u will be missed

Forgot about Good Morning Vietnam, what a great movie.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
rest in peace you are the pan

Hook-hook-12003980-500-281.jpg

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It's always sad when someone feels death is better than another day alive. I wonder what drove him to it had I wish it never happened. RIP and gotta feel for the family too

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
It's kinda eerie watching What Dreams May Come now. It's one of my favourite movies featuring RW, and obviously it takes a whole different meaning after what happened.

Hopefully he found his peace, he was one of the most talented, and by far the most likeable actor of his generation. He was also a big part of my childhood. Sad times, depression is no joke.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
As a kid, i was watching Hook everyday. You are THE peter pan!

Rest in peace, Robin.

Bangarang, Peter!

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
the selfish quotes dont know where that comes from. nobody knows what another is feeling deep down. everyone has demons and deals with them a differnt way. cant say something about another person unless u r in there shoes.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Can affect most anybody. I attemped suicide in spring of 2001. Almost like God or some kind of deity pushed me back in this world. Things got pretty bad there for awhile...became unemployed long term, in a bad relationship. I had started a new venture and it failed. By May/June 2001 I had myself in such a state don't think I was thinking rationally. But turned it around, started a new career, met a great gal in 2004.

CreamOfTheCrop

Jan 13, 2009
Montreal
Can affect most anybody. I attemped suicide in spring of 2001. Almost like God or some kind of deity pushed me back in this world. Things got pretty bad there for awhile...became unemployed long term, in a bad relationship. I had started a new venture and it failed. By May/June 2001 I had myself in such a state don't think I was thinking rationally. But turned it around, started a new career, met a great gal in 2004.

Glad to see that all this is now behind you and that you found happiness :)

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Depression sucks, my aunt went through the exact same thing, drugs and alcohol only make it worse and it becomes a vicious cycle of sadness. I hope Robins death contributes to mental health awareness and helping more people let others know they are suffering. RIP Robin.

Reminds me of Luke Richardson's daughter. Sadly it didn't raise too much long term awareness here or around the league but it did create some, which was good. Hopefullym, RW being a lot more popular and broadstream, hopefully more awareness will be raised.

I was listening to a radio station today and they focussed on his celebrating his life and the positive aspects. Lets try and turn this into a positive in his honor and create more awareness and hopefully other people going through the same thing are given a glimmer of enough hope to seek the help they need.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
With a comment like yours, I can say with 100% certainty that you know nothing of mental disorders to call it being selfish.

If he died of cancer, would you call him selfish? It's sad that people look down on mental sickness but not physical ones. The stigma, and primitive thought process like yours, needs to go.

This.

Depression is a disease. It's not mental weakness.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I think I've seen Good Will Hunting 50+ times. RW was a huge part of the reason why it was such a great movie. It was a much bigger dynamic than the Damon / Affleck dynamic. It's what carried the story. Williams had such an amazing depth as a serious actor in addition to his comedic side.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
Am I alone to like Death to Smoochy? Robins's performance was amazing in that movie!

Another actress who comited suicide was Britanny Murphy in 2009...I really liked her movies and the one with Michael Douglas: Don't say a word was an excellent Thriller...

When actors do end their lives this way...(Heath Ledger) I just remind myself once or twice while watching one of their movies that these people made a fatal choice and I just can't conceive that.

It seems that afterall, being rich and famous doesn't make you happy automatically. Mental health is so important and these people didn't stop before it was too late.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Glad to see that all this is now behind you and that you found happiness :)

Those were dark days of my life indeed. But a lot of people turn it around. I've read a number of sports books. RA Dickey was suicidal in 2006. His career was all but over, he had been sexually abused as a child, his mother was an alcoholic. Then he discovered the knuckleball. Since then he has gone on to win Cy Youngs, makes 12 million dollars a year. Theoren Fleury was near suicide near end of his playing career. Chris Nilan was in bad shape a few years ago. Ron Ellis suffers from chronic depression. Guys like Ellis or Williams suffer from chronic depression. While others takes a series of bad events to get them in that state.

HabsInsideOut

Sep 20, 2008
Montreal
Am I alone to like Death to Smoochy? Robins's performance was amazing in that movie!

Another actress who comited suicide was Britanny Murphy in 2009...I really liked her movies and the one with Michael Douglas: Don't say a word was an excellent Thriller...

When actors do end their lives this way...(Heath Ledger) I just remind myself once or twice while watching one of their movies that these people made a fatal choice and I just can't conceive that.

It seems that afterall, being rich and famous doesn't make you happy automatically. Mental health is so important and these people didn't stop before it was too late.

Not to nitpick but neither Britany Murphy or Heath Ledger committed suicide, but both instances were pretty tragic

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
On TSN radio this morning they replayed a sports related interview that Dan Patrick had with Robin Williams in 2013. It made me so angry because it just highlighted the stupidity of the media, the public and the pressure everyone put on this guy to be "in character". The answers to silly questions were enlightening.

Patrick: What's it like to be talking to Robin Williams?
Williams: You're talking to him right now

Patrick: What's Robin Williams like at a Giant's game
Williams: I am a fan, I cheer and then I go "ooooh" that wasn't such a great play.

At one point Williams talked about how people come up to him and tell him to "be funny".

The interview went on but question after question it showed how very uninterested Patrick was in knowing anything about Williams, he just wanted to bring out "funny man".

It's very hard in this world to figure out who is happy and who is not, so much pressure to be on your game for others. This applies to hockey too. The third anniversary of Wade Belak's death is approaching and it still shocks people who were close to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad