Post-Game Talk: Come back for a pointless point.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The team looks very very disorganized, mainly on the defensive end. It's not surprising they have a lot of bad starts.

The man to man defence is hard to figure out. But I feel like the lack of experience on D is hurting them as well.

Losing teams are like that. It's part of the inevitable ugly side of a long rebuild.

The alternative is that you can take a sub par team and give them a Jacques lemaire type who would get you to play relatively error free hockey, but then you are just toiling in perpetual mediocrity (2003 run aside).

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Losing teams are like that. It's part of the inevitable ugly side of a long rebuild.

The alternative is that you can take a sub par team and give them a Jacques lemaire type who would get you to play relatively error free hockey, but then you are just toiling in perpetual mediocrity (2003 run aside).

Yes, the rebuilding part is also about developing the style of play.

It reminds me of the Thierry Henry/Wilfred Nancy era with the Montreal Impact. The first season and a half of that reign, they asked the team to build the play from the back, but It ended up costing us a bunch of goals, and perhaps even a playoffs berth. But they kept preaching that philosophy and a couple of years later, the Impact was the most elegant team in the league to initiate the offense from their defensive line.

It's frustrating right now, but I'm sure the habs will be a well oiled machine when all is said and done and for a long time...no matter who coaches the team.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Reactions: jrom

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It’s so funny to me how a big portion of this board figured we’d be a lottery pick team even when we’re healthy yet we’re somehow expected to win like a playoff team with numerous key injuries while we’re still rebuilding. lol.
Many of us had the team pegged as a .500 club if we remained healthy. What we are seeing now is what you should expect given our two recent offensive acquisitions are gone long term. The points we do get will likely be dog fight ugly. I think most fans just want to see progression in other areas including coaching strategy/decisions since we aren't likely to see much improvement in our top six. I don't think they are wrong we have to work on what we can.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Many of us had the team pegged as a .500 club if we remained healthy. What we are seeing now is what you should expect given our two recent offensive acquisitions are gone long term. The points we do get will likely be dog fight ugly. I think most fans just want to see progression in other areas including coaching strategy/decisions since we aren't likely to see much improvement in our top six. I don't think they are wrong we have to work on what we can.
Oh I could be talking more about a lunatic fringe but the lines blur sometimes. I really don’t think I’m that out of line though. The board as a whole is insane lol. Doesn’t mean there aren’t legit concerns but I still the board is generally not ready for a rebuild.

Just like people who say they’re ‘bpa for life’ would lose their minds if we draft a D man with our first round pick

Reactions: Rapala

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I have expected them, to be a little better, that said I was convinced we would not have a bunch of injuries either, again and again!!
All things considered, they have been a little better than last year, so...............there are 58 games to go.
The injuries are really a buzzkill, that is true. Nothing more to say about that. It just stinks.
Hey absolutely! As long as you’re not screaming for a lottery pick at the same time lol.

It can be one or the other it just can’t be both! And I can just about guarantee if we went through a lot of poster’s history’s we’d get a lot of both.
I don't like tanking but I refuse to accept so many stolen points. Allegedly we're top5 in Goaltending fancy stats and bottom5 in everything else fancy stats, which basically means our goalies aren't even good they're just stealing points in random games.

Allen cannot be allowed to play like trash three games and steal a game every fourth. These are empty calories, junk food points. Stick with Monty and forget about Allen, at least Monty has a horizon with the team. Allen is just a dead-end.

Yes, the rebuilding part is also about developing the style of play.

It reminds me of the Thierry Henry/Wilfred Nancy era with the Montreal Impact. The first season and a half of that reign, they asked the team to build the play from the back, but It ended up costing us a bunch of goals, and perhaps even a playoffs berth. But they kept preaching that philosophy and a couple of years later, the Impact was the most elegant team in the league to initiate the offense from their defensive line.

It's frustrating right now, but I'm sure the habs will be a well oiled machine when all is said and done and for a long time...no matter who coaches the team.

Short term pain for long term gain.
In many ways I agree with your notion-- I think this organization as a whole has to lose its conservatism and that means the on-ice team has to play loose as well. It's been many many years of conservative hockey and hockey-minds in the organization. The changeover is painful but necessary.

That said, I expected better performances this season. It's disappointing to see Caufield on pace for 24 goals.

Reactions: Runner77

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
And you would be WRONG.
How in the hell is it good strategy to throw an offensive guy out there if we win the draw but not a defensive one if we don't.

Because putting a more defensive player out won't make much of a difference in preventing a goal at 3 on 3...
3 on 3 is too chaotic and there's too much space for skilled players to operate.

Julien/Ducharme literally already tried the tactic of matching strong defensive players against the top offensive players in overtime, which is pretty similar to what you are asking, and it failed miserably.

Every team has the same strategy and plan in OT. Keep the puck wear the opposition down. We lost that game without touching the puck.
The guys on the ice were not suited for that role of chaser.

Wearing the opposition down is not the main overtime strategy. Detroit wasn't playing keep away for a whole minute before scoring. They had 3 scoring chances before one finally went it.

When the opposition shoots, there's a higher chance the defending team gets the puck back than the attacking team. In this instance, Detroit managed to recover the puck each time they had a scoring chance, but teams are usually not that fortunate.

Our current strategy is to use someone other than Suzuki to try and win the initial draw if we win it he comes on to replace the center. What I'm saying is if we lose it he should not be getting on spending his energy chasing the puck. We have other players better suited for that. Dvorak stays on and the winger changes for Evans. Try and get the puck back before using your best offensive elements. I'm not saying it's going to work all the time I'm saying its better to have your puck retrievers on when you have to retrieve the puck.

You're acting like 3 on 3 overtime is the same as a powerplay where a team stays in the offensive for a full minute while the other team just defends. That happens, but it's not the general case. Overtime usually has a ton of back and forth with teams trading scoring chances.

As I wrote in a previous post, there are a ton of odd-man scoring chances at 3 on 3. Those odd-man scoring chances almost always happen after a turnover or scoring chance from the opposite team. There's no time to make a player change when that happens. So with your proposal, the habs would be more likely to have Dvorak-Evans on the ice for a 2 on 1 than Suzuki-Caufield, which is not a good tactic obviously.

I'm not even sure what your point is questioning the logic. If you have a sounder strategy I'd sure like to hear it.

Why would the habs need a different strategy than what they are currently already doing? They are 4-1 at 3 on 3 overtime this season.

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad