GDT: Columbus vs Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
It already seems this place is going to be borderline insufferable when it comes to MAF this year. I thought he's looked pretty good so far, and yet the overwhelming sentiment towards him so far seems to be that he's barely back-up quality anymore. I'm all for criticism where criticism is due, but a line needs to be drawn at some point.

It's MAF apologists like you who make this board unbearable. He doesn't even seem fitto hold Greiss' jock at this point. I could've stopped that shot with my back to the play.

In all seriousness, he looked fine. His puck handling even looked decent. Figures that would happen when the running theme of game play became puck support.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Let's be real, the guy's mentality is borderline terrible...him without a contract right now could either push him or **** him up come playoff time...its very likely we have a new number one come December and Flower will be on his way out

Beau would've had first dibs if he was healthy...easily...if KK plays like he did yesterday WITH Sid, and Kunitz getting his center back will do tons for him. This line could actually be great for a bit.

I agree. Just looking at it and saying, right now, it's Dupuis for Sid and Spaling for Geno, and that's reason enough to give both Kapanen AND Sundqvist cups of coffee (Kapanen, I'm not sure if he's earned it, but they want to give him a taste; Sundqvist, by the end of camp, I think he will have earned it . . . reminds me in a lot of ways of the first half of Staal's rookie camp, no flash but just so smart the coaches couldn't help but to notice). I don't expect either to stick, but, with Beau out, I'm leaning towards the idea that the organization will give BOTH cups of coffee.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kunitz-Crosby-Kapanen
Sundqvist-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Why the hell not?

In this scenario-- and it very well could be the opening roster-- I'd expect third and fourth lines of Spaling-Sutter-Dupuis and Comeau-Goc-Downie, where you'd see Spaling, Dupuis, and Downie rotate into the top six for some shifts.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't know about throwing Sundqvist into the top 6 straight out of Sweden. I've been singing his praises as much as anybody, but see him more as a guy that can have a Goc sort of game, not a 2L LW sort of game.

Probably worth mentioning that I happen to love Goc's game (and think he's grossly underemployed), just so that's not misconstrued.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sundqvist's smarts could make up for his lack of speed from what I see. He definitely anticipates the play well. I noticed that when I saw him live against Minnesota. I only saw maybe one mistake all game.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't know about throwing Sundqvist into the top 6 straight out of Sweden. I've been singing his praises as much as anybody, but see him more as a guy that can have a Goc sort of game, not a 2L LW sort of game.

Probably worth mentioning that I happen to love Goc's game, just so that's not misconstrued.

At the moment, I don't see why we can't give him a shot in a top 9 role. All we have are 3rd line options outside of Kunitz and Hornqvist.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Probably worth mentioning that I happen to love Goc's game, just so that's not misconstrued.

Oh, I agree, but I think he'd get some top six shifts if he gets that cup of coffee. I mean, you've got holes on Sid's RW and Geno's LW and only Dupuis, Spaling, and Downie to 'fill' them.

Honestly, if it were Kapenen 1RW and Sundqvist 2LW, then it only would be nominally so. I'd expect a lot of juggling in different 1RW and 2LW looks.

Sundqvist's smarts could make up for his lack of speed from what I see. He definitely anticipates the play well. I noticed that when I saw him live against Minnesota. I only saw maybe one mistake all game.

And there's nothing to say he's got to play every single shift in one spot.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I doubt we could get anything worthwhile at this point, but we should try to get something for BB. The dude is going to have a decent career riddled with injuries. He's only had one season where he's played more than 50 games. Just two seasons with more than 40 games since the year the Wings last won the Cup. He hasn't put up double digits in the goal column since 09-10!

I just see him as a talented player to0 plagued with injuries to ever est. himself as a top tier NHLer.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Kunitz-Crosby-Kapanen
Sundqvist-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Why the hell not?

I had not even considered this during the summer. Like you said, why the hell not? Try it for about 9 games with some of the bottom 6 filling out the top 6 when needed.

I doubt we could get anything worthwhile at this point, but we should try to get something for BB. The dude is going to have a decent career riddled with injuries. He's only had one season where he's played more than 50 games. Just two seasons with more than 40 games since the year the Wings last won the Cup. He hasn't put up double digits in the goal column since 09-10!

I just see him as a talented player to0 plagued with injuries to ever est. himself as a top tier NHLer.

Holy-over-reaction-Batman!

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I agree. Just looking at it and saying, right now, it's Dupuis for Sid and Spaling for Geno, and that's reason enough to give both Kapanen AND Sundqvist cups of coffee (Kapanen, I'm not sure if he's earned it, but they want to give him a taste; Sundqvist, by the end of camp, I think he will have earned it . . . reminds me in a lot of ways of the first half of Staal's rookie camp, no flash but just so smart the coaches couldn't help but to notice). I don't expect either to stick, but, with Beau out, I'm leaning towards the idea that the organization will give BOTH cups of coffee.

Agreed, KK would either be running with Sid or Geno depending on where Dupuis is and Sundqvist would be better of on that 3rd line with Sutter and Downie...

I just really want to move Dupuis for a younger, faster player...I just don't think there are any stupid GMs though...

Kuni-Sid-Young dude
BB-Geno-Horny
Sundqvist/Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Sundqvist/Spaling-Goc-Comeau

(WHEN HEALTHY)

Tell me MJ's system is tailor made for that kind of lineup...Just young guys with stars wreaking havoc with that bomb ass D-core

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I had not even considered this during the summer. Like you said, why the hell not? Try it for about 9 games with some of the bottom 6 filling out the top 6 when needed.

You can't even tell me that Sid and Geno haven't played with worse. Much worse in Sid's and especially Geno's case.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Said before and worth repeating IMO: If Adams and Scuderi stay, then I won't say it will do permanent damage to the 'we'll give you the job if you take it' talk that rightfully is accompanying this new regime. That said, it would do wonders for the new regime's credibility if one or especially both of Adams and Scuderi were playing elsewhere to start the season (reminiscent of when Max made Dom Moore expendable or Recchi's 'do as I say not as I do' attitude was sent to Atlanta.

Yeah. The issue then becomes if they even can move them. Adams "probably" isn't even an AHL player on a 35+ contract that isn't even league minimum. Scuderi has 3 more years at 3.375M, he's still owed 9.5M and he has that limited NTC. If they can't move them they can't move them and the cap ****s them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah. The issue then becomes if they even can move them. Adams "probably" isn't even an AHL player on a 35+ contract that isn't even league minimum. Scuderi has 3 more years at 3.375M, he's still owed 9.5M and he has that limited NTC. If they can't move them they can't move them and the cap ****s them.

Adams, you can't bury. If you can't move him, then I get that.

Scuderi, you can bury in the minors and free up enough space to cover one of your young defensemen on an entry level deal.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Uh, yeah

Guys.

Nobody's giving you anything for a 35 year old guy coming off knee surgery or a 23(?) year old guy who has had a moderate to major injury in each of the last 5(ish) years.

Both players need to play. For us.

Adams, they screwed up in not telling UPMC to flunk him in his physical.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I wouldn't say it's an over reaction. I'd say it's an extremely fair observation based on his professional career. He is always getting hurt dude. To say that's false, or an over reaction, just isn't logically sound.

Package him in a deal with Scuds and Adams for Toews. Get it done, JR.

penguins2946*

It really seems like Sundqvist is NHL ready. What I would do is start with the lines that I had (KCK and SMH) as the top-6, send Kapanen back to Finland once his 9 game trial is up, and then put Bennett with Kunitz and Crosby when Bennett gets back. If Sundqvist is struggling, just move up one of out bottom-6 wingers and put him in the bottom-6.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It really seems like Sundqvist is NHL ready. What I would do is start with the lines that I had (KCK and SMH) as the top-6, send Kapanen back to Finland once his 9 game trial is up, and then put Bennett with Kunitz and Crosby when Bennett gets back. If Sundqvist is struggling, just move up one of out bottom-6 wingers and put him in the bottom-6.

I don't know if there's a permanent roster spot for Sundqvist (Kapanen too) unless he takes it.

That said, I really do hope that, after his cup of coffee, he consents to spend the season in WBS instead of Sweden. Even after he goes back down, he'd be back at some point.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Adams, you can't bury. If you can't move him, then I get that.

Scuderi, you can bury in the minors and free up enough space to cover one of your young defensemen on an entry level deal.

Definitely (Scuderi having an NMC has been talked about and idek where it came from), it actually worked out better than I thought it would going by what's being thrown around right now, as long as Bennett is on LTIR and Samuelsson is the 7D. Things get interesting with Bennett off of LTIR and by interesting I mean it isn't cap compliant without someone going. It's fine with Bennett back and no Sundqvist and Kapanen.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Oskar Sundqvist ($0.701m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Kasperi Kapanen ($0.925m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.300m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Nick Spaling ($2.200m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Blake Comeau ($0.700m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
BURIED
Rob Scuderi ($2.450m)
LTIR
Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,970,000; BONUSES: $224,167
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $30,000

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Definitely (Scuderi having an NMC has been talked about and idek where it came from), it actually worked out better than I thought it would going by what's being thrown around right now, as long as Bennett is on LTIR and Samuelsson is the 7D. Things get interesting with Bennett off of LTIR and by interesting I mean it isn't cap compliant without someone going. It's fine with Bennett back and no Sundqvist and Kapanen.

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Oskar Sundqvist ($0.701m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Kasperi Kapanen ($0.925m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.300m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Nick Spaling ($2.200m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Blake Comeau ($0.700m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Simon Despres ($0.900m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
BURIED
Rob Scuderi ($2.450m)
LTIR
Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,970,000; BONUSES: $224,167
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $30,000

I don't see the Pens (a) keeping 14 forwards or (b) burying Scuderi to keep Samuelsson (Harrington, maybe Dumoulin, but not Ulfie Jr . . . Ulfie Jr, IMO, would clear waivers).

Fordy

May 28, 2008

great idea, let's sell low on a guy that we just watched prove his ability and talent that costs us less than a mill because he's had three fluke injuries in his short career

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't see the Pens (a) keeping 14 forwards or (b) burying Scuderi to keep Samuelsson (Harrington, maybe Dumoulin, but not Ulfie Jr . . . Ulfie Jr, IMO, would clear waivers).

I don't see them burying Scuderi in general, hopefully someone would take him, but I doubt they'd do it.

I could see them carrying 14 forwards if they had a lot of youth there but it's just cap space. Samuelsson is the one whose development I wouldn't be worried about as a 7D and he's the cheapest so he got put there. Burying Scuderi and using Samuelsson opens up enough cap to have some flexibility

penguins2946*

I don't know if there's a permanent roster spot for Sundqvist (Kapanen too) unless he takes it.

That said, I really do hope that, after his cup of coffee, he consents to spend the season in WBS instead of Sweden. Even after he goes back down, he'd be back at some point.

I would be fine with that as well. I'm basically in the boat where having them up can't hurt anything, and might as well give them some experience. If Sundqvist is struggling, either send him to WBS or play him in the bottom-6. Neither him or any of the other options (Spaling, Dupuis, ect) will be in our top-6 for the playoffs, so it really doesn't matter.

Also, unrelated to anything KIRK said, but I really do think that Samuelsson would clear waivers. He's really not that good. He's a fringe NHLer at this point with limited upside.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see them burying Scuderi in general, hopefully someone would take him, but I doubt they'd do it.

I could see them carrying 14 forwards if they had a lot of youth there but it's just cap space. Samuelsson is the one whose development I wouldn't be worried about as a 7D and he's the cheapest so he got put there. Burying Scuderi and using Samuelsson opens up enough cap to have some flexibility

It's because of the cap space that they won't carry 14. They may start with 14 if both Kapanen and Sundqvist get cups of coffee, but they're going to hold as much cap space as they can. They'll go with a roster of 22.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Burying Scuderi and using Samuelsson opens up enough cap to have some flexibility

Not really. You save 925k by burying Scuderi, then take 550k back on in Samuelsson for a net gain of 375k. That translates to about 1.7M in deadline cap space - not nearly enough for anything significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad