GDT: Columbus vs Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Despres is really talented and really stupid rolled all into one. I just see his upside as limited.

So is Letang.

Despres plays with more common sense than Letang, actually. I'm not sure what you mean by "limited" though. If you expect him to be a high scoring #1 that runs your top PP, then ya he is limited. However, if people expect him to be a Doughty clone or something of that nature, that is just silly.

Despres is a legit #2-3 that can max out around 30-35 points, while being a top end transition blueliner that brings a physical edge.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I already shared my thoughts on KK above...

- Despres is getting better each game and skating with confidence. He was all over the ice and had a big hit along the boards that really rocked a Jacket hard. Stylistically he is really starting to remind me of Al Iafrate minus the insane shot. Just a huge body back there that can really handle the puck and fly. He's creating offense in some manner almost every shift.

Since Letang cut his hair, there have been shifts where Despres was flying up ice so fast I thought he was Letang for a second before I could see his number.

- Ehrhoff played a really smart game with the puck. He and Letang seem to be finding this perfect Harmony together and while Errey seemed to be concerned it could cause a problem sharing the puck with the fwds, I see it as the exact opposite. Their ability to work the puck together will create breakdowns all over the ice and create space for the fwds on the ice with them.

- Harrington had another strong, steady game. It's just his calling card, really. He got undressed in the slot, but he was flat footed and it's going to happen from time to time. It's all the little things he does that just add up to a highly efficient blueliner.

- Samulesson is still a guy that I think is simply a roadblock for other guys and I really wish they had used that pick on a fwd, eventhough that's hindsight drafting I suppose. I want to see something in the guy, but he is just so ordinary and doesn't bring anything a McNeill can't do.

- Sundqvist I've been raving about since the WJCs and nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind this pre-season. Hard to judge guys when you only see them a few times, but his smarts always stand out every time I see him.

- Comeau had another strong game offensively (didn't pay attention to him in his own zone to be honest). The guy can really skate and create things on his own. He is like a complete 180 from Glass.

- Farnham is a guy that I love, and he skates around without any fear. He makes life living hell for anyone on the ice playing agt him and you can see the fear he puts in guys holding the puck. I just feel like he's such a loose canon that this org will never give him a shot. He's kind of like opening Pandora's box...

- Spalling just seems to be there. He and Downie. I think Downie may be more effective when the lights go on though. Spalling doesn't seem to do anything stupid, but so far I haven't seen anything to comment about. His play so far has been quite generic.

- Goc has to be one of the best fourth pivots in the league. Have always loved his game since he was in Fl.

- Kunitz looked aimless and it wasn't helping Sutter or KK get into a grove.

+Sutter

+Pen's NHLers

+Fahrnhamaham

+Oskar Sundqvist

+no Adams

-5v5 scoring. This team still has a very mediocre barn of forward prospects. Lots of grinders, very little play makers or scorers.

-Harrington and Sammy were stuck in there own zone just about every shift from what I remember of the game. It was noticeably bad. They need split up as neither is good enough with the puck.

-MAF is still MAF. With proper technique, he should've had a shutout in this game where he got very little challenge. His paddle on ice move needs to get reeled in as he uses it way too much IMO. I still don't have confidence in his game. I hate when he loses sight of the puck and looks behind him. Greiss looks much more confident and composed out there (comparing the 2).

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
+Sutter

+Pen's NHLers

+Fahrnhamaham

+Oskar Sundqvist

+no Adams

-5v5 scoring. This team still has a very mediocre barn of forward prospects. Lots of grinders, very little play makers or scorers.

-Harrington and Sammy were stuck in there own zone just about every shift from what I remember of the game. It was noticeably bad. They need split up as neither is good enough with the puck.

-MAF is still MAF. With proper technique, he should've had a shutout in this game where he got very little challenge. His paddle on ice move needs to get reeled in as he uses it way too much IMO. I still don't have confidence in his game. I hate when he loses sight of the puck and looks behind him. Greiss looks much more confident and composed out there (comparing the 2).

Harrington and Samuelson shared most of their shifts with the PL3-Sill-Farnham line. Doesn't really surprise me that they didn't look to good. Looking at the shift-chart, they pretty much sat that line in the third after PL3 fought, with Sill getting some extra shifts.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
+Sutter

+Pen's NHLers

+Fahrnhamaham

+Oskar Sundqvist

+no Adams

Harrington can move the puck well. He even played significant minutes on the Knights PP.

His puck skills are vastly underrated.

Samulesson was just playing like ass, TBTH.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why is this 'Despres is stupid" meme allowed to live?

I'm not a rub your nose in it, told you so kind of person, but I'll admit I'm going to enjoy it when he goes off and you remind a few of the blind people about things.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
- Samulesson is still a guy that I think is simply a roadblock for other guys and I really wish they had used that pick on a fwd, even though that's hindsight drafting I suppose. I want to see something in the guy, but he is just so ordinary and doesn't bring anything a McNeill can't do.

Samuelsson, and I'm sure it's because he left college a year earlier than anyone thought he would and wasn't yet a dominant player at that level, simply looks like a guy who has played 2 years in the AHL and needs another year. I actually believe that if he were to go down for one more year, he would be a very good player down there and will eventually a very decent bottom pairing guy at the NHL level, even though it won't be for the Penguins. He's just not ready, despite his contractual status and waiver ineligibility. That being said, for $550k, I don't mind him as a 7th Dman if we can dump/trade Scuderi.

That said, I don't think there's a snowballs chance Reid McNeill has a future with this team either. He is also very limited in his puck moving ability, and has limitations on vision and hockey sense. With Despres, Dumoulin, Maatta, Harrington and Pouliot all ahead of him and all lefties, and a guy like Ruopp who's a righty (and that's not taking into account Bortuzzo and Letang who will be here for a long time, or other prospects like SegUlla), I don't think McNeill sniffs the NHL with the Pens. If we could get a pick for him or have him be a part of a package in a decent deal, I would be very happy with that.

Michael8771*

I missed the game, but from some the detailed recaps some of you gave, I got a idea as to who performed well and who didn't, thanks!

Michael8771*

I'm really curious to see what they will make the D pairs. Maatta was clearly ahead of Despres last year, but Despres has been absolutely phenomenal in the preseason so far. I think it just means that it is just that much more likely that Martin gets moved.
I sincerely hope so, Martin is definitely an attractive piece. Well, he's the most attractive piece we'd be willing to part with anyhow. Our depth on D is solid. Particularly with Ehrhoff in the fold. Let's hope JR can acquire a winger to help solidify the top six.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown

I'm not even sure where it comes from. I've seen nothing about his game to make me think he's stupid or has a poor hockey IQ. I can only guess that this nonsense comes from the fact that the guy has kind of a dopey face I guess. Either way, pretty embarrassing conclusion to come to.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+Sutter

+Pen's NHLers

+Fahrnhamaham

+Oskar Sundqvist

+no Adams

It still amazes and confuses me that somehow the PK was able to keep the puck out of the net without Adams out there.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Is that actually a meme? I'm going to guess it's because he's fat and annoying and from Quebec which is almost Europe.

It still amazes and confuses me that somehow the PK was able to keep the puck out of the net without Adams out there.

IDK, Kirk, I just don't know. It has to be an anomaly, an act of god, something!?!?!>?! It must have gone in and no one saw.

I think I'm really going to like this PK once, if, they can work the kinks out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Is that actually a meme? I'm going to guess it's because he's fat and annoying and from Quebec which is almost Europe.

IDK, Kirk, I just don't know. It has to be an anomaly, an act of god, something!?!?!>?! It must have gone in and no one saw.

I think I'm really going to like this PK once, if, they can work the kinks out.

I am assuming that you are including Adams and Scuderi among the kinks. :laugh:

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
KK is gonna learn a lot more once Sid and Geno are on the ice with him. He's got a lot going on right now though. New country, new coach, new system, new ice… I'm excited to see him with Sid next game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sundqvist took most of his shifts with Ebbett - so they are trying him out as a wing right now. The line they played was Downie-Ebbett-Sundqvist.

Yep, and he looked good again. Some of us notice him, but with his game being more about smarts than flash and with so much of the focus on Kapanen and some of the future fourth liners, he really is running below the radar (nary an article mention or a media guy saying anything about him).

KK is gonna learn a lot more once Sid and Geno are on the ice with him. He's got a lot going on right now though. New country, new coach, new system, new ice… I'm excited to see him with Sid next game.

I wish Geno were healthy, because I'd love to see Sundqvist get the same type of exposure to Geno and Hornqvist that KK is going to get playing with Sid and Kunitz.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Sunqvist with Geno and Horny would be ****ing filthy....

I really am looking forward to see Sid take KK under his wing and teach him, it'll be good for Sid to have someone look up to him rather than playing with players who're going to retire soon...time to be that leader for the young guys

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
It already seems this place is going to be borderline insufferable when it comes to MAF this year. I thought he's looked pretty good so far, and yet the overwhelming sentiment towards him so far seems to be that he's barely back-up quality anymore. I'm all for criticism where criticism is due, but a line needs to be drawn at some point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sunqvist with Geno and Horny would be ****ing filthy....

I really am looking forward to see Sid take KK under his wing and teach him, it'll be good for Sid to have someone look up to him rather than playing with players who're going to retire soon...time to be that leader for the young guys

I'm looking at the options right now for Sid/Kunitz and Geno/Hornqvist, and I don't see why there isn't a case with Beau out to give both Kapanen AND Sundqvist a sniff (I mean, if there was room for Kapanen for a sniff BEFORE Beau got hurt, then in theory there's room for two cup of coffee guys now).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The sad thing is that I am. :laugh:

Experience with it, communication, Adams, understanding other players, Scuderi, tweaking it, etc.

When their last defense from being marked useless doesn't fit them...

Said before and worth repeating IMO: If Adams and Scuderi stay, then I won't say it will do permanent damage to the 'we'll give you the job if you take it' talk that rightfully is accompanying this new regime. That said, it would do wonders for the new regime's credibility if one or especially both of Adams and Scuderi were playing elsewhere to start the season (reminiscent of when Max made Dom Moore expendable or Recchi's 'do as I say not as I do' attitude was sent to Atlanta.

penguins2946*

Kunitz-Crosby-Kapanen
Sundqvist-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Goc-Comeau

Why the hell not?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
It already seems this place is going to be borderline insufferable when it comes to MAF this year. I thought he's looked pretty good so far, and yet the overwhelming sentiment towards him so far seems to be that he's barely back-up quality anymore. I'm all for criticism where criticism is due, but a line needs to be drawn at some point.

Let's be real, the guy's mentality is borderline terrible...him without a contract right now could either push him or **** him up come playoff time...its very likely we have a new number one come December and Flower will be on his way out

I'm looking at the options right now for Sid/Kunitz and Geno/Hornqvist, and I don't see why there isn't a case with Beau out to give both Kapanen AND Sundqvist a sniff (I mean, if there was room for Kapanen for a sniff BEFORE Beau got hurt, then in theory there's room for two cup of coffee guys now).

Beau would've had first dibs if he was healthy...easily...if KK plays like he did yesterday WITH Sid, and Kunitz getting his center back will do tons for him. This line could actually be great for a bit.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sundqvist took most of his shifts with Ebbett - so they are trying him out as a wing right now. The line they played was Downie-Ebbett-Sundqvist.

He played RW during the playoff run last season and did pretty well. I think I still like him more as a C at this point though, but he's still solid on the wing. I'm cool if he ends up in the AHL, as long as he's getting ample opportunity to develop the offensive side of his game, that is. I wouldn't like to see him make the team only to play limited minutes on the 4th line.

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014

I'm guessing Crosby will play with Kunitz and Dupuis. So if Kapanen gets a shot I think we'll see him on a line with Malkin and Hornqvist. I'm really hoping Sundqvist gets a chance on the 4th line with Goc. He wouldn't look out of place at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad