Confirmed with Link: Columbus trades Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington and a conditional pick.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You can argue that he shouldn't have waited so long to move Rychel, but let's not assume they Jarmo could have gone out there today to get more for Rychel and just didn't bother. Rychel fetched very little because he was overrated to begin with and his value sank like a stone over the course of the year.

I'm the one who was willing to entertain Rychel for Toronto's 2nd. That's a ransom compared to what we actually got, but it's also a far cry from the middle-1st pick many were projecting.

This time last year I also pointed out that Josh Anderson (of all people) had passed him in the depth chart.

But that said, I'm looking for a general manager to run this team who is better than 15 other general managers and can maybe turn a little straw into gold with these kind of deals. Where we would probably get Harrington + conditional 5th (aka nothing), we need a general manager who can turn nothing into something and "beat" the average NHL GM. What I'm saying is that if he isn't better than the average GM, we need to go searching for someone who is.

Jarmo consistently comes out on the short side of player negotiations and trades. Not horrible value, but slightly below average. Any single move isn't going to kill the franchise, but continual losses and inability to maximize value slowly bleeds the team dry. Yes, he's had a few hits (Saad, maybe Jones, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, etc.) but he's also had his share of misses (Gaborik, Horton/Clarkson, Rychel, etc.). If he's 50/50, that's not good enough. We need a guy who is 51/49.

Oh, and the Karlsson deal? Yeah, that was done (I believe) by Bill Zito while Jarmo was busy preparing for the draft.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm the one who was willing to entertain Rychel for Toronto's 2nd. That's a ransom compared to what we actually got, but it's also a far cry from the middle-1st pick many were projecting.

This time last year I also pointed out that Josh Anderson (of all people) had passed him in the depth chart.

But that said, I'm looking for a general manager to run this team who is better than 15 other general managers and can maybe turn a little straw into gold with these kind of deals. Where we would probably get Harrington + conditional 5th (aka nothing), we need a general manager who can turn nothing into something and "beat" the average NHL GM. What I'm saying is that if he isn't better than the average GM, we need to go searching for someone who is.

Jarmo consistently comes out on the short side of player negotiations and trades. Not horrible value, but slightly below average. Any single move isn't going to kill the franchise, but continual losses and inability to maximize value slowly bleeds the team dry. Yes, he's had a few hits (Saad, maybe Jones, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, etc.) but he's also had his share of misses (Gaborik, Horton/Clarkson, Rychel, etc.). If he's 50/50, that's not good enough. We need a guy who is 51/49.

Oh, and the Karlsson deal? Yeah, that was done (I believe) by Bill Zito while Jarmo was busy preparing for the draft.

To be fair, I think Zito handles all the re-signings. So that means Bob, Dubi, Foligno, etc..He sucks too.

99 CBJ

Mar 7, 2009
Columbus
Also Zito is the one that has been negotiating all of the contacts at least untill he was running the Monsters. I don't know if he negotiated the Wild Bill contact and that turnd out well.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Interesting that so many on here defer to his scouting genius on the same weekend he shows he already squandered one of the 3 first round picks he inherited in 2013.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Interesting that so many on here defer to his scouting genius on the same weekend he shows he already squandered one of the 3 first round picks he inherited in 2013.

Would anybody on here object to replacing Jarmo at general manager and demoting him to the head of amateur scouting?

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Would anybody on here object to replacing Jarmo at general manager and demoting him to the head of amateur scouting?

Yes because as head of scouting he is going to tell you not to take Puljujarvi and if you think he is wrong and overrule him then what good was he to that process?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
2nd half of the season + AHL playoffs tanked Rychel's value, but I still think we could've got a better deal than this. Harrington isn't awful, but we've got enough bottom pairing D.

Murray-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Werenski-Goloubef
Prout/Harrington

Tyutin bought out? :dunno:

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Doesn't seem like a great deal for CBJ. To paraphrase sam, we need another third line stiff like a hole in the head. Good sign for Anderson.

Deal gets better all the time. I "know" Rychel & Co might be a head case/pain in theass but sheesh this return is why bother?

Can you say Jonathen Drouin; Just more piss poor management. Let's see we had 3 first rounders 3 years ago and now 2 of them are gone and the third has settled in as a 2nd/3rd pair C. Really good drafting here boys...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
2nd half of the season + AHL playoffs tanked Rychel's value, but I still think we could've got a better deal than this. Harrington isn't awful, but we've got enough bottom pairing D.

Murray-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Werenski-Goloubef
Prout/Harrington

Tyutin bought out? :dunno:

Rychel was pretty good after the first round.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

My fear is that none of the youngsters will see the ice because of the logjam of bad contracts in front of them. This should have been a firesale weekend to dump bad contracts and here we are picking up injured defensemen. Oh wait jarmo is well versed in shoulder injuries.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
You can argue that he shouldn't have waited so long to move Rychel, but let's not assume they Jarmo could have gone out there today to get more for Rychel and just didn't bother. Rychel fetched very little because he was overrated to begin with and his value sank like a stone over the course of the year.

Another CBJ first round bust.

16 years and Nash, Voracek and RyJo remain the best first rounders. None of whom are on the team anymore. (Admittedly for differing reasons in all ).

CBJ have had myriad problems over 16 seasons but draft is the root. Some bad breaks in the lottery and record wise but if you're getting so little out of your number ones, you're just spinning wheels.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Jarmo continuing to prove he sucks lol

It's posts like this that are getting pretty tiresome. We assume there was a market for Rychel at all. It's not like we haven't known that Rychel has wanted out for months.

It's a pick that didn't work out. It happens.

Just move on already. Seriously everything we don't like that happens is just an excuse to hammer JK. I'm not a huge fan of his, but it's getting old real fast. Ad hominem is just lazy.

Am I thrilled about Rychel not working out? Sure. However, I'm not going to assume that JK took the first offer that came he was and that he could have done significantly better just because it doesn't meet my expectation of perceived worth.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Scott Howson got a 3rd round pick for Nikita Filatov. Who threw countless coaches under the bus, quit trying, uncoachable, and fled for Russia.

Jarmo might have got a 5th for a guy who played good in the AHL last year, and struggled a bit this year.

That's exactly the example I was about to cite. That and the Zherdev return.

We have now seen yet another demonstration of how Kekalainen, when he's in a trouble spot, doubles down on the bad rather than recovering well like Howson did.

How many times is this going to be tolerated?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

We have now seen yet another demonstration of how Kekalainen, when he's in a trouble spot, doubles down on the bad rather than recovering well like Howson did.

There are history of issues, but I haven't seen many of our farm system players moved for less than perceived worth. I wouldn't put my hat on this one as some example of an institutional problem.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Exactly. He waited around and hoped Rychel would progress. He didn't and was passed up by multiple people on the depth chart this year and didn't show anything in the playoffs.

And people wanna talk about asset management? He turned a "bust" aka Dano, often injured Anisimov who wasn't ever going to be more than 3C here into a 30G #1LW. People here thought it was the end of the world that we traded Dano.

Turned a useless bum that was Bumberger into a top 6 if not a 1st line LW in Hartnell.

He turned a slumping #1C into a bonafide beast that is a 21 year old #1RHD.

He's made mistakes, everyone does. You have to take risks, calculated risks if you want to be successful. They don't always work but those that have worked really well.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

You guys are comparing Zherdev and Filatov to Rychel, like for real?

They were both consensus top 10 picks and showed flashes of greatness, Rychel never showed anything in his 3 seasons here and put up subpar numbers in the AHL.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
All I can add is that I am no longer a Jarmo defender.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
What a punch in the sack to an utterly disappointing weekend for the Jackets. Pass on Pulju, get laughed at by Edmonton...EDMONTON and then The Capital of the Underworld. Didn't create any cap space, failed to fill in gaps in the draft (no 4th or 5th round pick). I just don't know what to think anymore, this club is just cursed or jinxed. Not sure which, but it just means we will still suck again this year. Absolutely no expectations for next year, it is what it is. Maybe the next couple of weeks will be better, but I've come to expect less, much, much less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad