Confirmed with Link: Columbus signs Kole Sherwood to a 3 year ELC

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
I don't think that's the case, but it does make me ask a few questions: I.e: if Jarmo wanted him so bad in the seventh round, what was deemed, "too important" an asset to risk trading away for that? Never get the answer, but it's intriguing nonetheless. I doubt teams are asking for the moon for a seventh rounder. Maybe offer them a sixth next year, take your guy, then he is in the pipeline with no immediate need to sign him....Besides, the story here is bulletproof for Jarmo, it's good PR now and it's good PR in 5 years if Kole is on an ECHL contract or playing in Germany in some third tier Beer League.

I don't know.... Again, really happy for Kole, but I think the CBJ coughed up more than Kole was worth at the time for the "story" story first and future potential second, a far away second.

They offered a sixth in next year's draft and nobody took them up on it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was thinking about a poll

Which thread do you think will go on the longest and continuously surprise pete?

This one
Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ
Letestu signs with Edmonton

Ah, the dog days of the off-season. :laugh:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Which thread do you think will go on the longest and continuously surprise pete?

This one

the one that has to do with Boll sucking....:sarcasm:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

This one

I am almost as easily surprised as I am amused.

Kashie14

Mar 10, 2011
Perhaps Jarmo was so quick to give him an ELC was to block Kole from taking the NCAA route. His plan earlier was to go USHL > BU or something, right? Had he committed to the NCAA he wouldn't be signing a free agent ELC contract for 3-4 years, which means if they decided later they wanted him they would have to spend a pick or would be competing against other teams for sure. This also could explain why they signed him out of rookie camp and not during/after training camp which he wouldn't be able to attend with the NCAA route. $200k to lock in your guy and guarantee not needing to spend a draft pick doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but it ain't my money.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
How much, in cash, is a seventh-round draft pick worth? Subtract that amount from what Kole got and I bet it doesn't look like an overpay any more. Plus, no drafted player has the leverage of potentially immediately signing with any other team, so comparing what Kole got to what drafted players get is silly. If McDavid had somehow gone undrafted, or any other first-round pick, they'd have made millions more than Kole Sherwood.

Complaining about how much money the Jackets committed to this kid is a waste of internet space. They got a late-round talent while only giving up money. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Neat little article, though it neglects to mention that Blake Siebenaler is also an Ohio product, though he moved to the Fort Wayne area around age 10 if I remember correctly. Still, there's a whole lot of Siebenalers up in Williams County who have got to be pleased that one of their own is on the home-state team.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I share blah's sentiment. It is overpayment for where he was even slotted in the draft. If you want to argue Jarmo deemed this "necessary" to do this for future potential numbers and a future draft position that Kole could have put himself in next season and the CBJ would miss drafting him and would have to hear about missing on the hometown kid (ahem, Roslovic)then I can understand it. I too, though, am highly skeptical that what was essentially a glorified Allstar scrimmage at the Ice Haus is what sealed th deal on this....

CBJ overpaid for a new line of good PR and potential returns on that investment in the form of Kole bettering his draft position substantially from this year.

How's did CBJ "over pay"? It is highly likely they pay the minor league rate for the entire ELC and if he makes the NHL he would be worth the money. The bonus pay out was to keep him out of the draft next year. The development camp wasn't just a glorified scrimmage. There were other aspects that would have pitted him against higher rated prospects. I guess I don't see why this is such a big deal. $250K investment up front to keep a kid out of the draft that might have gone much higher and CBJ first use a pick on someone they must feel is worth it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
How's did CBJ "over pay"? It is highly likely they pay the minor league rate for the entire ELC and if he makes the NHL he would be worth the money. The bonus pay out was to keep him out of the draft next year. The development camp wasn't just a glorified scrimmage. There were other aspects that would have pitted him against higher rated prospects. I guess I don't see why this is such a big deal. $250K investment up front to keep a kid out of the draft that might have gone much higher and CBJ first use a pick on someone they must feel is worth it.

I agree. He must have really impressed so much in camp as to convince Jarmo that he probably wouldn't be around when it would be appropriate to draft him next year. The $250k is insurance money to make sure we have him locked up for a long time. His contract will slide 2 years because of his age so this was for effectively for the next 5 years of his development.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site

It's not a big Deal, but right now, they overpaid.

I don't care when/if the base salary kicks in, this kid wasn't drafted three weeks ago despite being eligible and he signed a deal that would be comparable to a first round pick.

I understand why they did it if Jarmo and company really like him. it was the price they felt they had to pay to have him forgo the draft next year, etc.

good for Kole getting a deal done on very favorable terms to himself, still doesn't change my opinion that the CBJ overpaid to make sure didn't miss out on him. And if it completely backfires, outrage will be extremely minimal because of what Kole represents to this town. I think most of us agree the deal was overpayment, it's just a matter of perspective on it, tomato, tomotto

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I think most of us agree the deal was overpayment, it's just a matter of perspective on it, tomato, tomotto

It's actually very efficient 'slavery deal' to have someone tied to your system until they are about 28 and free to walk away. In this world only NHL teams have this power.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
It's not a big Deal, but right now, they overpaid.

I don't care when/if the base salary kicks in, this kid wasn't drafted three weeks ago despite being eligible and he signed a deal that would be comparable to a first round pick.

I understand why they did it if Jarmo and company really like him. it was the price they felt they had to pay to have him forgo the draft next year, etc.

good for Kole getting a deal done on very favorable terms to himself, still doesn't change my opinion that the CBJ overpaid to make sure didn't miss out on him. And if it completely backfires, outrage will be extremely minimal because of what Kole represents to this town. I think most of us agree the deal was overpayment, it's just a matter of perspective on it, tomato, tomotto

Again, what Kole got is way less than what a first-round talent would have gotten if they'd somehow gone undrafted. You're not comparing apples to apples when you call it an overpayment.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Perhaps Jarmo was so quick to give him an ELC was to block Kole from taking the NCAA route. His plan earlier was to go USHL > BU or something, right? Had he committed to the NCAA he wouldn't be signing a free agent ELC contract for 3-4 years, which means if they decided later they wanted him they would have to spend a pick or would be competing against other teams for sure. This also could explain why they signed him out of rookie camp and not during/after training camp which he wouldn't be able to attend with the NCAA route. $200k to lock in your guy and guarantee not needing to spend a draft pick doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but it ain't my money.

it also prevents him from being drafted as a 2nd year eligible player in next year's draft if he were to exponentially improve or rise based on playing with better competition and with more exposure.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Again, what Kole got is way less than what a first-round talent would have gotten if they'd somehow gone undrafted. You're not comparing apples to apples when you call it an overpayment.

No, I'm arguing that the money he signed for is the money that a typical middle of the first round player that was drafted will sign for. The discussion isn't about "first round talent" it's about "first round drafted"

take the 13th overall pick, I forget who it was off the top of head, kole's deal is/will be comparable or very close, he got (or signed for) "first round drafted money"

Last edited:

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
No, I'm arguing that the money he signed for is the money that a typical middle of the first round player that was drafted will sign for. The discussion isn't about "first round talent" it's about "first round drafted"

take the 13th overall pick, I forget who it was off the top of head, kole's deal is/will be comparable or very close, he got (or signed for) "first round drafted money"
Yes, I know what you mean. And he got that because he could have signed with any other team, not because the Jackets think he's worth the same as a first-round pick. It's not an overpay, it's the going rate.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree with the wheelchair. :laugh:

Drafted/undrafted are two completely different markets, and Sherwood was lucky he was in the undrafted market. Actually drafted players don't have a market at all, because it only has one team in it, with a limited exit option.

This same confusion reigns in comparisons between RFAs and UFAs. Generally teams underpay RFA's because they can, and then use the savings to overpay UFA's. The words "Fair market value" should be expunged from discussion about RFA's and recent draftees.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Yes, I know what you mean. And he got that because he could have signed with any other team, not because the Jackets think he's worth the same as a first-round pick. It's not an overpay, it's the going rate.

Fair enough, if we want to say it was a combo of all things (essentially a "free agent", contract potentially rich enough not to re-enter the draft, good press everywhere for signing the "local, undrafted kid".) that's fine.

I'm not trying to troll here, and we may never know the answer of just how much interest was in this kid from other teams, but if there was, why wasn't he drafted?

Was the negative pub they probably would have got had they not signed him and he was drafted next year very high just too much to risk (you had him in your dev camp and let him get away) I mean, every reporter was asking JD AND jarmo and castron what they did to try and draft Roslovic. He was the story at the draft for a lot of people in this town, and then the CBJ turned it around in a week and Kole became the local story.

Again, i want to stress that I don't think this move hurts the team at all, I'm very happy for Kole and thrilled for the local hockey develop,ent community (Ed Gingher , etc.).

Some people say they overpaid if this contract comes to fruition, others say they had to overpay.

Not much to talk about right now this part of the offseason, hopefully, that changes soon.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I'm not trying to troll here, and we may never know the answer of just how much interest was in this kid from other teams, but if there was, why wasn't he drafted?

The Sherwood brothers didn't come off as that social and welcoming in that Bobby McElligott & OhioHealth interview so maybe there were conserns there.

No other team drafting should then have better knowledge of the local players than the Bluejackets so I don't know why the timeline is even a consern. Sure they didn't base all their evaluations on him on the prospect's camp and as mentioned before by others for his Canadian junior league future it's now or never. No time for hesitation.

While seventh rounders aren't surefire prospects 129th overall Jamie Benn went from humble beginnings to win the Art Ross trophy so it ain't likely they perfected scouting underagers the week before Sherwood went undrafted. If you are the next in line after KHL rookie & U-20 WJC defender of the tournament plus silver medallist and Finnish champion & rookie there might as well been eight round to secure contract rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad