Confirmed with Link: Columbus signs Kole Sherwood to a 3 year ELC

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Cool to finally see a local player with the organization. Columbus hockey has come a long way in 15 years.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wanted it to happen and then it did. :D

Would be neat if LEM signed Kiefer as well, but, meh. No reason to get greedy. Let him play at Miami. :)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Very cool for the kid and I am glad we did this. I wondered if we would. I thought it would be smart as I expected him to get drafted next year.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Kole is one of my good buddies, sat next to him in half my classes senior year. Crazy few weeks for him, goes Undrafted, then becomes one of the firsts rookies to sign. The whole town of NA is thrilled!

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Awesome. I just saw porty's blog. London is a good place for him to develop.

Last edited:

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Anybody know what the difference in money is between, say, an undrafted player and and a player potentially picked in the second or third round?

I'm glad for the team and for Kole, but if I'm in his situation, playing London with Marner and potentially, Werenski, I'm thinking about betting on myself in the draft next season.

Again, I'm glad for him, but this was a bit of a shock

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Kole's a very good player. Watch him play several times while watching one of my friends son play with him. Honestly, he really jumped out in every game I saw him play. He's quick and skilled and based on what I just read it looks like he's grown a bit. Don't know if it's enough to get him to the NHL but he was definitely a kid that you watched play and said "Damn, he's really good".

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Anybody know what the difference in money is between, say, an undrafted player and and a player potentially picked in the second or third round?

Don't know for sure but I think the low end for the NHL portion is around 550-575k; top end is somewhere around 950 plus the higher you are drafted there are bonuses. Go look at
http://capfriendly.com/?p=team-cap&team=Columbus%20Blue%20Jackets to see what guys in the minors are making. Should give you some frame of reference.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress

I'm glad for the team and for Kole, but if I'm in his situation, playing London with Marner and potentially, Werenski, I'm thinking about betting on myself in the draft next season.

Again, I'm glad for him, but this was a bit of a shock

He signed a max rookie

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Glad we have a born-and-raised local kid in the system, rather than having Dan Fritsche forced upon us by GMDM
I wasn't a CBJ fan 12 years ago but was Fritsche really "forced" by GMDM? He was drafted in the mid-2nd round yet ranked in the top 10 NA skaters. Could you blame any team of scouts or front office executives for picking someone that highly rated at that point?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Yes it is

That is very cool of Bjork to take an interest in the other players at development camp. Those are the character traits that make people leaders

Very happy for a local kid, & I understand that he might have gotten more waiting to sign.. but he is probably just happy to be getting his shot. His brother is a freshman at Miami? Excellent for the Sherwood family

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wait, the Oilers got into trouble last year when they signed a kid who was still draft eligible. Is Kole still draft eligible? If he is, this could get nixed

President Madagascar

Oct 31, 2005
Wait, the Oilers got into trouble last year when they signed a kid who was still draft eligible. Is Kole still draft eligible? If he is, this could get nixed

Vladimir Tkachev, and his was denied because you had to have played the entire season in North America. That season he started in Russia before going to the QMJHL, so he was ineligible. Obviously that isn't the case with Sherwood, so it's good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad