Columbus- Peaking at the right time?

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Pre season I thought they were right with TB, Pitt, and NSH. They’ve disappointed this year but seem to be getting it going. They’re dangerous just not as high as my pre season ranks for them.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
ENG makes it 5
You’re up against a rebuilding Rangers team who played just as well game could’ve gone either way. I give credit where it’s due but CBJ didn’t look like a good team tonight, maybe they looked great in other recent games, haven’t watched them in 2-3 weeks.

Meh. 3rd game in 4 nights playing without Seth Jones. Not like they lost last night to the Islanders after a four day weekend or to the Red Wings. Pens lost to same Rangers team a week ago. None of the Metro teams are tearing it up.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
anigif_original-grid-image-23668-1422851189-20.gif

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I dunno, they have so, so many players having horrendous years, I'll be very surprised if they make noise in the playoffs this year. Didn't look too hot against a pretty bad NYR team last night.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I dunno, they have so, so many players having horrendous years, I'll be very surprised if they make noise in the playoffs this year. Didn't look too hot against a pretty bad NYR team last night.

Again, it was their 3rd game in 4 nights without Seth Jones. Pens lost to NYR last week, then had 4 day weekend only to come back and lose to Islanders. Despite CBJ sloppy play, NYR never really threatened to win last night

CBJ were youngest team in the league prior to trade deadline, so their struggles in January and February probably had to do a lot with typical inconsistencies of young guys. They are 11-2-0 since trade deadline which added veterans Vanek, Letestu and Cole.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Again, it was their 3rd game in 4 nights without Seth Jones. Pens lost to NYR last week, then had 4 day weekend only to come back and lose to Islanders. Despite CBJ sloppy play, NYR never really threatened to win last night

CBJ were youngest team in the league prior to trade deadline, so their struggles in January and February probably had to do a lot with typical inconsistencies of young guys. They are 11-2-0 since trade deadline which added veterans Vanek, Letestu and Cole.
Yeah, I get that. Just saying, when they're all on, they're a deep and dangerous team, but so far this year the offensive has been Panarin and a bunch of guys badly underperforming.

Having said that, they have a top goalie, a top d pairing and one of the most dynamic forwards in the league, so anything is possible. I just think they're going to struggle against teams with a lot of depth because their depth guys have been pretty underwhelming overall. Last night being a good example, Panarin had 3 of their goals and I didn't notice Foligno, Atkinson, Johnson, Werenski really at all.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Crazy how a team that doesn't seem to look good against anyone they have beat over these 9 games aren't actually 0 and 9.

Took overtime and two non call penalty shots to beat the Bruins without Chara, Bergeron, McAvoy, Rick Nash, Backes and Debrusk. LoL Healthy Bruins team dumpsters Columbus in 5 games.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Took overtime and two non call penalty shots to beat the Bruins without Chara, Bergeron, McAvoy, Rick Nash, Backes and Debrusk. LoL Healthy Bruins team dumpsters Columbus in 5 games.
Whatever helps you sleep. With those guys in Donatto doesn't get his chances on those lines and they don't score those goals. Or if Jones and Anderson were healthy. Or if Bob started. Or if Marchand hadn't already flopped earlier in the game causing the refs to let the ot play go. See how changing history and facts works for all sides. Take your loss and move on.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Never have saw so many people pessimistic about a team that has won 9 in a row and 11 in their last 13. Tough crowd
They have two players with 40 points or more. One forward with 40 points or more. Every forward except Panarin has had a horrendous year.

They just don't look like a team with a real shot. Like I said, they have a top goalie, two great d-men and a dynamic scorer so it's not impossible they make a real run but I'd bet against it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're ending the season hot only to face their playoff demons, who have embarrassed Bobrovsky over the years (even before Bob was on Columbus) and are stronger offensively than they've ever been. Yeah, not a great matchup for them :laugh:

Bobrovsky has a career .910 save% in the regular season and a .889 save% in the playoffs against the Penguins. They are the worst possible matchup for the Jackets in round 1, so if I was a Jackets fan, I'd be praying for Pittsburgh to win the division or for Columbus to get the 1st wildcard spot. Sadly, Bob's stats against Washington in the regular season are even worse than they are against the Penguins.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
They have two players with 40 points or more. One forward with 40 points or more. Every forward except Panarin has had a horrendous year.

They just don't look like a team with a real shot. Like I said, they have a top goalie, two great d-men and a dynamic scorer so it's not impossible they make a real run but I'd bet against it.

We also have 6 players with 30-40 points. But sure... let’s cut off the statistic at 40 points so it seems like the CBJ have no scoring attack with just “1 forward with more than 40 points”... it’s called balanced scoring my friend. The Jackets have averaged almost 4 and a half goals per game during this win streak. 5 of their last 7 games, they have scored 5 or more goals.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We also have 6 players with 30-40 points. But sure... let’s cut off the statistic at 40 points so it seems like the CBJ have no scoring attack with just “1 forward with more than 40 points”... it’s called balanced scoring my friend. The Jackets have averaged almost 4 and a half goals per game during this win streak. 5 of their last 7 games, they have scored 5 or more goals.
Are you arguing the they've been good for the last 10 games or that they're legitimate contenders to win the cup or have a long playoff run? I won't argue that they've been doing well for the last handful of games, I'm arguing that I don't think they're poised for a lot of playoff success due to these games.

40 points is a pretty reasonable number for a passable season for players who are considered to be good scorers. I'd say the same for players on my own team - less than 4o points for someone who is supposed to be a scorer is not good unless they had a serious injury and missed a lot off time. Again if we're talking about actual contenders, look at TB, Boston, Pitt, Vegas, Nashville etc - many more forwards who are putting up respectable numbers over the sample of the entire season. "Balanced scoring" doesn't mean having a bunch of guys who score 30 points, it means having a bunch of guys who are consistent scoring threats, aka who score consistently and put up points over the course of the entire season.

They're 21st in goals for over the season, 22nd in goals for per game, 30th pp in the league, and 1 forward with 40 points. That doesn't look like a team that can score enough to win series when things get tighter. They've been great on this streak, but they've been cold at best over the large sample.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
They wouldn't be the Columbus Blue Jackets if they didn't win 10 in a row to end the season. It's been their thing for the last 5 seasons.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Agree with everyone that CBJ seem to be easy outs in first round. First I hope they make it in (not there yet) and then hope the team they play feels the same as the posters on this board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad