Rumor: Columbus "listening" on offers for Anisimov

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKelso

Feb 26, 2015
Grove City
No talk of signing Letestu. So looks like he could be gone. It would be a mistake to get rid of Artie and Letestu at the same time.

For some reason, however, it seems the FO went from stability and no major moves at teh deadline, to suddenly considering a mini-rebuild.

When you take a major step backwards like we have, and are struggling to score goals on a nightly basis, can you honestly blame them for at least considering some level of shake up?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Part of our problem is the ones we let go last year form our 4th line. We were not able to come up with adequate replacements. I am not sure how that is helped by getting rid of Letestu.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
No talk of signing Letestu. So looks like he could be gone. It would be a mistake to get rid of Artie and Letestu at the same time.

For some reason, however, it seems the FO went from stability and no major moves at teh deadline, to suddenly considering a mini-rebuild.

Solid players both, solid centers and a big part of our depth down the middle. I'd hate to see them both go. I don't want to dig up the numbers, but I feel like Arty has more offensive upside but is more injury prone. If you had to move/not sign one and cost was a consideration, I'd probably hold onto Mark.

I think our optimal center configuration for next season is 19-17-42-55, I'm not sure JK/JD have in mind, but I'd rather have Boone and Nick playing wing than centering lines. But as this season proved, we may not be as durable a team as we thought, and Arty gets hurts alot making it difficult to rely on him night in night out.

thebus2288*

Put this on the main board, just wanted a more CBJ centered talk about it. I couldn't be any more happy that Arty is still with us after the draft, but there's plenty more time left before the season starts. With it being his last year on his contract it makes almost no sense to look to move him, unless we're completely out of it at the deadline again. IMO the odds of that are so small and the value of anything(pick/prospect or another expiring contract) we could get in return for 1 year of him would not outweigh the impact he could have on our team for this year or the near future. So to me, the only options are to sign him long term or let him walk for nothing. And if we're out of it again at the deadline get rid of him, Tyutin, Johnson, Hartnell and Atkinson and get some more picks boy!!

Size, Speed, Skill and Versatility.

Artem Anisimov is not just a 3rd line center. On 80% of the teams in the league he should/could/would and I think at this point will be a top 6 forward for the foreseeable future. He also would be a regular on the same amount of teams PP and/or PK. I think he's very similar to Nick Foligno, in that they started their careers in big markets, on pretty good teams, and weren't given bigger roles that they did or maybe didn't yet earn/deserve. Once they were moved and most people had no reason to hype them up anymore, the perceptions of what these guys are stays the same well after the player is simply just not that anymore. They get better just like any other mid 20's player. Bottom line is Arty is a top 5 offensive and defensive forward on the vast majority of teams. You put him on the ice with 1 minute left, up or down a goal, without hesitation. That's an important player to a team. A guy with the size/reach and above average defensive IQ along with the offensive skills Anisimov has is not very common. I could make a case for Dubinsky and Anisimov being the best 1-2 punch in the league on the PK.

Say what you want about the D, this is just hard work and beautiful stickhandling.

Not many goals scored but what I like about this video is the amount of different ways he scores. Every goal is different. Another thing you might notice is how much of a factor each goal has on the game. No "rick nash" goals.

This one is more of an actual highlight reel. Again, you can see all the different offensive skills he has along with the timing or importance of pretty much every goal.

Once more you can see the variety of skills he has...stickhandling, creativity, shooting, skating...at a high level. His size and willingness to go to the dirty areas(boards, front of the net, hard thru neutral zone) are other things that should not be overlooked, and not seen as a negative.

His passing is also well above average. These aren't much but I just wanted to show a couple things that highlight his vision and passing ability.

[NHL]785298[/NHL]

[NHL]777747[/NHL]

[NHL]519890[/NHL]

The 1 thing people will bring up is his injury history. I'm sure he's had some concussions, both diagnosed and not, but (i'm pretty sure) he hasn't had any "career threatening" or debilitating injuries to his shoulders/knees/etc. He does seem to take more "big hits" than you would want to see anybody take, but I think it has way more to do with him not being afraid to go to the hard areas than it does him being reckless or "running around with his head down". Him not being afraid to sacrifice his body for his team should never be seen as a negative. And quite frankly over time I've heard plenty of "jokes" or "wisecracks" about the amount of times he's on the receiving end of a big hit or even hurt, and I find that disrespectful as ****. Just wanted to add that.

One more aspect of his game that I believe is overlooked and probably under utilized a bit is his game directly in front of the net. With the above average "net presence" of other players(Hartnell, Foligno and Jenner) he isn't given that much time in front. IMO he's "stronger" and more skilled (eh foligno) out front than each 1 of them and to me should be ranked way higher league wide than many others on here may think. In this video its proven that coach Richards has chosen him for this role at essentially the most important time(PP) of the year. There's not that many guys in the league with the same combo of size(reach), strength, skill and smarts, along with willingness to actually be there. And most of the guys you could think of are some of the "top" players in the league.

And if you didn't know, the dude also has 1 of the best backhands in the league.

If you haven't noticed yet I'm a huge Anisimov fan. Like Nick Foligno, Arty is the type of player you win hockey games with. And also like Foligno the CBJ shouldn't make the mistake and let him go, especially to "make room" for a recent "graduated" bluechipper that very well may never be as impactful as Arty on either ends of the ice.

As a CBJ fan I would love to see him signed anywhere from 4.5-5 mil a year for 5 or so years. IMO he's definitely worth that to the team.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm also glad we still AA on the team

he needs to stay healthy. If he can have an injury free year Anisimov can score a lot of points in 2015 for the CBJ.

I love a guy with skill that plays hard, Artie can become invisible at times though and someone needs to ride his ass all season

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
While bus may be right in the abstract, when you look at the cap situation, what he will command in free agency (at least 4 mill imo for 4-5 years) there is no way he is going to be here past next season. The numbers just don't add up. One gutsy approach would be to extend him to say a 3 year deal at 4-4.5 mill without a NTC shortly after July 1 and then trade him. A signed Arty will bring a much better return. That would then give us 2 signed relatively inexpensive F (Cam being the other) that could be used as trade bait for an upgrade at D.

Misfire Puck

May 6, 2010
Finland
NYR fan proposed deal around AA and Klein. Klein has 2.9 million cap hit and signed for 3 more years. Any interest?
He isn't the top pairing RD we are looking for but definitely upgrade at RD.

Defense would look something like this:

Murray - X
Johnson - Savard
Tyutin - Klein
Connauton - Prout

Now put someone legit top3 RD (Byfuglien/Ellis/?) with Murray and I think that is above average D. Maybe top 10.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Everyone knows WE need another top line D man

That being said, I would be all in on Arty, Rychel, and next years first round if that would be enough to get one.

We have the Centers and wingers already when healthy, we drafted heavy this year on D man to develop. So next years first round pick is something we can afford to trade IMO.

just my 2 cents

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know I might sound flakey here but...

We can't keep every veteran hitting UFA...there just isn't enough money. A well balanced cap team has a mix of seasoned vets, guys in their prime and young up and comers. Arty is entering that "prime" time of his career and we may already have our quota on "primes".

IIRC Arty has also done his most offensive damage when he is surrounded by gifted offensive players. Seems to me Arty hit his hot streak two seasons ago when Gabby came back healthy and they played together on a line. Before and after Gabby the numbers just aren't as compelling. I know everyone plays better with better teammates but on our team Arty is a third line player...he isn't getting to play regularly with Joe or Foligno or Hartsy or any of our other top goal scorers.

We are likely to have a logjam of forwards this season...if Arty can be packaged to get us a solid d-man, I have no issues with moving the guy.

thebus2288*

While bus may be right in the abstract, when you look at the cap situation, what he will command in free agency (at least 4 mill imo for 4-5 years) The numbers just don't add up. That would then give us 2 signed relatively inexpensive F (Cam being the other) that could be used as trade bait for an upgrade at D.

I think he gets 4.5 easy. I don't know if you personally think this way but if 4.5 for Arty doesn't add up, how does 7+ for Hamilton add up? How does that 10 mil a year add up that you guys have set aside for Johansen? Or are these "next" contracts added into why Arty being resigned "doesn't add up"?

And this upgrade? Who we talking?

NYR fan proposed deal around AA and Klein. Klein has 2.9 million cap hit and signed for 3 more years. Any interest?
He isn't the top pairing RD we are looking for but definitely upgrade at RD.
Absolutely not. I'd question if he's an "upgrade" at all. Prout plays a completely different game and is arguably better defensively anyway.
Everyone knows WE need another top line D man

That being said, I would be all in on Arty, Rychel, and next years first round if that would be enough to get one.

How much does 1 year of Anisimov get us in return? And who possibly could this top line d man be?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I actually agree with bus. I think Arty is an integral part of our team. Sometimes he isn't scoring but he always does his job defensively. Only issue is he may want his big boy contract, and if he does, I don't think we will give it to him.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Actually, I think he'll be gone even if he stays healthy. Full season of production = higher contract value = pricing himself out of our organization.

I can't see how we bring him back no matter how he plays, unless we trade some other "older" forwards. We have too many under contract already. Time to make room for some of the younger guys while also saving some money to be spent elsewhere.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
All I'm saying on this subject is that Jarmo is a fool if he gives up both AA and Letestu this summer. The PK would be in the tank. Calvert can't do it all himself.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Letting Arty and Letestu both go (trade Arty, let Letestu walk) would be a mistake. But let's be honest I doubt there is a huge market for Letestu so could be a mutual understanding that we're trying to tade Arty and if we can we have a spot for you, but if not better be looking around.
It's nice having a guy like Arty who is a solid 3rd liner who can easily slot to the 2nd line with injuries. But realistically we can't afford him past this season.

I would say hold onto him unless you can get top 4 d-man (in a package) or maybe a top 6 RW (which allows Jenner to slot in at C). But who knows.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think he gets 4.5 easy. I don't know if you personally think this way but if 4.5 for Arty doesn't add up, how does 7+ for Hamilton add up? How does that 10 mil a year add up that you guys have set aside for Johansen? Or are these "next" contracts added into why Arty being resigned "doesn't add up"?

7 million for anyone doesn't add up. Do the math. And yes if you are Jarmo you probably have to project Joey at 10 mill. And yes those next contracts have to be considered also. And the roster limit of 23. And all the young prospects that will need a spot to play. And no adding 4.5 mill for Arty for up to 5 years doesn't add up.

The only way I see Arty sticking around is if we trade Cam so that his incremental cap hit is only 1 mill or so. Really no place else to free up cap space that I can see.

And if we are going to go closer to the cap I really hope its for a good D man.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
7 million for anyone doesn't add up. Do the math. And yes if you are Jarmo you probably have to project Joey at 10 mill. And yes those next contracts have to be considered also. And the roster limit of 23. And all the young prospects that will need a spot to play. And no adding 4.5 mill for Arty for up to 5 years doesn't add up.

The only way I see Arty sticking around is if we trade Cam so that his incremental cap hit is only 1 mill or so. Really no place else to free up cap space that I can see.

And if we are going to go closer to the cap I really hope its for a good D man.

Yes, we'll probably have to move a contract to fit AA in. Honestly, I'm surprised we're flirting with the cap as much as we are. We're around 65 million now with Calvert to deal with and we're got some pretty significant raises to deal with the next couple of off seasons. A lot more than what is coming off.

As far as Johansen at 10, not quite sure were there yet. There are only 2 10 million cap hit men and those boys just won another Cup. The only other players close is AO, a 50 goal guy and another guy by the name of Malkin. Not saying he isn't going to get close to 9, but I think he's more a top 5-10 range player (center) as opposed to a top 3 player (in the entire NHL). His agent won't see it that way, but it's up to him if he thinks forcing his way out is worth it on his first UFA contract. I was thinking more along the lines of 8.5-9. It will be interesting to see what this team looks like in a couple of years and if he's the guy they want to give that contract to.

4.5 sounds about right for AA.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Yes, we'll probably have to move a contract to fit AA in. Honestly, I'm surprised we're flirting with the cap as much as we are. We're around 65 million now with Calvert to deal with and we're got some pretty significant raises to deal with the next couple of off seasons. A lot more than what is coming off.

As far as Johansen at 10, not quite sure were there yet. There are only 2 10 million cap hit men and those boys just won another Cup. The only other players close is AO, a 50 goal guy and another guy by the name of Malkin. Not saying he isn't going to get close to 9, but I think he's more a top 5-10 range player (center) as opposed to a top 3 player (in the entire NHL). His agent won't see it that way, but it's up to him if he thinks forcing his way out is worth it on his first UFA contract. I was thinking more along the lines of 8.5-9. It will be interesting to see what this team looks like in a couple of years and if he's the guy they want to give that contract to.

4.5 sounds about right for AA.

rumors abound that Kopitar is saying he wants 10m...if Kopitar in 2016 is worth 10m, Johansen on his current pace will be there too.. (*IF* he continues growing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad