Post-Game Talk: Columbus discovers DUCHENE in Kanata, Fri 7:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I'm not following. PD has his back up against the wall because of a league wide rule.
Timing is something that is completely missing for PD, the 1 year extension for Stone for example.
If you create an environment where you have not the slightest chance to keep your stars, no I don't believe that MS or MD ever considered to sign, you need to maximize value. Should have traded him in the off season, but had to save face for himself and the owner.
They had since July 1st to sign Duchene or Dzingle, is it a league wide rule to keep you unsigned stars until the last minute?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why would it be best for them to play out the rest of the year on a terrible team, playing meaningless games in a toxic environment, surrounded by veterans who have already checked out and a coach who's a dead man walking?

That's better than playing meaningful games in the AHL, where they're actually seeing success?

Like I've already said, a lot of it is dependant on how they perform. I wouldn't be surprised if these next two games determine where those two players play out the season. If they show they are NHL ready, and they will have an opportunity to play meaningful minutes, they should remain in the NHL. If they stay in the NHL and are struggling than you have an argument.

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
200px-Nick_Foligno_-_Ottawa_Senators.jpg

Feels like an eternity ago o_O

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Timing is something that is completely missing for PD, the 1 year extension for Stone for example.
If you create an environment where you have not the slightest chance to keep your stars, no I don't believe that MS or MD ever considered to sign, you need to maximize value. Should have traded him in the off season, but had to save face for himself and the owner.
They had since July 1st to sign Duchene or Dzingle, is it a league wide rule to keep you unsigned stars until the last minute?

And now we are talking about a completely different topic. Not sure how we got here.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
And now we are talking about a completely different topic. Not sure how we got here.

We got here because you accuse a bunch of posters of whining. All they (we) do is pointing out the failures of this franchise and that there is no need to do what they are doing.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We got here because you accuse a bunch of posters of whining. All they (we) do is pointing out the failures of this franchise and that there is no need to do what they are doing.

My point is calling up a couple of players, who desrve it, to evaluate them isn't a failure. If they remain in the NHL when they clearly don't belong, add it to the list. Until then perhaps reserve judgement , I know it's a lot to ask.

Reactions: aragorn

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Like I've already said, a lot of it is dependant on how they perform. I wouldn't be surprised if these next two games determine where those two players play out the season. If they show they are NHL ready, and they will have an opportunity to play meaningful minutes, they should remain in the NHL. If they stay in the NHL and are struggling than you have an argument.

Is it fair to say that if they were close to NHL ready prior to today then they should have been brought up to help the 31st place team?

Would love for them to come up and thrive but it would be a pretty big leap for them to jump up to the NHL and both succeed. That is, unless they were already NHL ready, or very close, and the team deemed it was better for them to continue developing in the AHL.

Reactions: RaMai

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
My point is calling up a couple of players, who desrve it, to evaluate them isn't a failure. If they remain in the NHL when they clearly don't belong, add it to the list. Until then perhaps reserve judgement , I know it's a lot to ask.
The NHL teams season is over, the AHL team is pushing for the playoffs the first time in a very long time.
It's mind boggling what the front office is doing, but I think we have to agree to disagree.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Is it fair to say that if they were close to NHL ready prior to today then they should have been brought up to help the 31st place team?

Would love for them to come up and thrive but it would be a pretty big leap for them to jump up to the NHL and both succeed. That is, unless they were already NHL ready, or very close, and the team deemed it was better for them to continue developing in the AHL.

I personally think based on what I’ve seen in Bellevile they are very close to being NHL ready. I think with Stone, Dzingel and Duchene out of the picture it presents a different opportunity. There’s going to be a lot of meaningful minutes available that weren’t with them around. With that said I would prefer for them to have a bit of a shield in Stone and Duchene I’ve stated that numerous times how I felt it was important to the development of the young talent but that’s a path which seems unlikely.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I am pretty sure we can find 2 better players to play 5-8 mins on the 4th line than Brown and Batherson

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I might be in the minority but I'd rather see Brown and Batherson play than whatever the f*** it was Archibald and Goloubef did last night.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's possible it's another ploy to sell some tickets as it may have been to allow Tkachuk & Lazar at the time to make the team in yrs when the team sucked & the fan base is revolting. I doubt the ploy buys much time here for them though, the UFAs are clearly the centre of attention for the hockey world this weekend. And it won't take away the disgust from what most fans are expecting. This has to be one of the lowest points in Senator history that I can remember & it's all made possible by this dickhead owner.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

It doesn't matter right now if deserve it or not. The problem is that you are crippling the AHL team with this call up when:
a) they are enjoying a stretch of well played games they actually won
b) are in a playoff push that haven't been seen down there for more than a couple years

My preference would have been for them to stay down and push for the playoffs. One aspect to good teams is that they had a core of AHL players who together either won or did really well in the AHL playoffs. This is the better route right now for the young players. Not "developing" them against Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad