GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets vs Montreal Canadiens 2/2/20 2:00pm EST SN, TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I whipped this one up quickly so it's a simple design. I'll be unveiling my GDT theme for the month later this week. It will pay homage to Habs GMs/coaches lets just say.

Not saying what Kind of Homage? Can you pay homage to the level of badness in some of them? :rolleyes:

They can't afford to have him play either. We all know what happens when we overuse Price.

Yes Sir,
We end up drafting later than we should. :sarcasm:

Reactions: donghabs98

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Julien on Suzuki: "I just felt that Suzuki's line was also able to play against Barkov's" (regarding Barkov getting a lot of minutes, i.e. more than he could send out Danault's line for)

:hyper:

Reactions: Rapala

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Nice to-the-point GDT @donghabs98 .

CBJ board has it:

Gustav Nyquist - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Nick Foligno - Alexander Wennberg - Cam Atkinson
Sonny Milano - Boone Jenner - Emil Bemstrom
Nathan Gerbe - Riley Nash - Eric Robinson

Look at that, Mr. MB-doesn't-like-his-game has made it to the 1st line over there. Quite a bit of talent on that 1st line despite Panarin gone, too.

Nyquist would’ve been a good fit for us here, the only thing is not sure how good he’ll be in that 3rd year or especially that 4th year of his deal.

It could have made Drouin/Domi expendable for a Legitimate LD.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Julien on Suzuki: "I just felt that Suzuki's line was also able to play against Barkov's" (regarding Barkov getting a lot of minutes, i.e. more than he could send out Danault's line for)

:hyper:
I posted yesterday in the GDT regarding this. Kovalchuk is an excellent influence for Suzuki. You play talent to develop talent. I'd keep Ilya around for next season to continue Suzuki's Offensive learning curve. They don't look out of place facing top lines. Very often you get best chances going the other way are against the opposition's top trio as they try to push the envelope.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I said this in Danault's thread, but I feel Suzuki's rise has really helped him a lot. Suzuki took shifts against Barkov yesterday & that allowed Danault some shifts against lesser players. He was dominant down low.

This team will be a lot better when Suzuki is #1 & Danault is #2. Danault showed yesterday that he's a hell of #2 center because the Suzuki line played as the #1. It worked really nicely.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Nyquist would’ve been a good fit for us here, the only thing is not sure how good he’ll be in that 3rd year or especially that 4th year of his deal.

True. Timing wasn't the best for that kind of contract. Good fit in a vacuum, not so much with our cap structure though we did have significant room this year ahead of Domi's raise.

Drouin is not on this roster right now, Kotkaniemi will hopefully come back better and take the 3C spot...... which makes me think Domi is still expandable. I fear that Bergevin will be satisfied with extending Scandella, while we could get a young player as a long term solution on LHD for Domi. That player + Romanov next year would change the face of our D.

I hate watching Habs vs. Jackets. It's speed/conservatism/hard work vs. brute force/crash & bang/hard work.

Pavlik vs. Taylor 1, and the Habs are Taylor every time. Often times the best case is it turns into Pavlik vs. Taylor 2, and we still lose. Styles make fights. Playoffs against CBJ would be rough.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
True. Timing wasn't the best for that kind of contract. Good fit in a vacuum, not so much with our cap structure though we did have significant room this year ahead of Domi's raise.

Drouin is not on this roster right now, Kotkaniemi will hopefully come back better and take the 3C spot...... which makes me think Domi is still expandable. I fear that Bergevin will be satisfied with extending Scandella, while we could get a young player as a long term solution on LHD for Domi. That player + Romanov next year would change the face of our D.

I hate watching Habs vs. Jackets. It's speed/conservatism/hard work vs. brute force/crash & bang/hard work.

Pavlik vs. Taylor 1, and the Habs are Taylor every time. Often times the best case is it turns into Pavlik vs. Taylor 2, and we still lose. Styles make fights. Playoffs against CBJ would be rough.

Trading Domi for a LD May very well be a smart move, I don’t find he’s very effective as a winger and it’s clear as day Suzuki is a better center at both ends of the ice and Danault is an excellent shut down guy that can easily play the 2C position with good wingers. Like you said, then we have Kotkaniemi still in the fold whom in my opinion will be no less than a 2C in a few years (id leave him in the AHL this year). That could push Danault down to an ideal 3C position.

Where does that leave Domi?

Reactions: Roadhouse

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

They really have to be given our redundancy in that area. I think we all see Suzuki is the most important young player for our immediate future we can't afford to mess it up.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
It really says something that the media, the Canadiens outlets and everyone under the sun has 2C Suzuki and 3C Domi on their roster sheets..... considering that "3C" amounted to 70 pts last season.

It's not changing in Domi's favor either. There was a transition between mid Dec and late Jan for Domi/Suzuki occupying the same line and driving everybody insane. That line has been drawn in the sand, Suzuki has overtaken Domi.

Danault is next, sometime next year. :naughty:

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
It really says something that the media, the Canadiens outlets and everyone under the sun has 2C Suzuki and 3C Domi on their roster sheets..... considering that "3C" amounted to 70 pts last season.

It's not changing in Domi's favor either. There was a transition between mid Dec and late Jan for Domi/Suzuki occupying the same line and driving everybody insane. That line has been drawn in the sand, Suzuki has overtaken Domi.

The thing is that Domi is not good defensively, and last year he had a lot of luck on his side. He’s still going to be a 50-60 point guy I would say, but closer to 50. Especially as a winger.

If you can swap him for a similarly aged LD puck mover, I think you don’t think twice about it.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
They really have to be given our redundancy in that area. I think we all see Suzuki is the most important young player for our immediate future we can't afford to mess it up.

I’d honestly keep Drouin over Domi, I think he just has a higher skill level. I think he’d have great chemistry with Suzuki as well, which hopefully they will try out. Plus he’s comfortable as winger, which Domi doesn’t seem to be.

Suzuki has the highest hockey IQ on the team. I’m predicting a future PPG player there.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I said this in Danault's thread, but I feel Suzuki's rise has really helped him a lot. Suzuki took shifts against Barkov yesterday & that allowed Danault some shifts against lesser players. He was dominant down low.

This team will be a lot better when Suzuki is #1 & Danault is #2. Danault showed yesterday that he's a hell of #2 center because the Suzuki line played as the #1. It worked really nicely.

Indeed we have to start moving the players into their proper Stanley Cup chairs. Too bad MB likely won't look at it that way. I'm very concerned he'll make the very same mistake he did after Vanek. Simply put he never replaced the talent we lost with something similar. He is really dense if he doesn't see this.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

There is no question his game is about ten times more intelligent than Domi's is. I think Max saw it coming too. :cool:

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Weird that it's been our reality for years. The irony is that good NHL backups have been available for discount prices, yet Bergevin has missed out time and time again.

The thing that I have been thinking about that makes it hilarious is how under the cap we have been for a few years . Why not overpay a backup for a year or two lol

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The thing that I have been thinking about that makes it hilarious is how under the cap we have been for a few years . Why not overpay a backup for a year or two lol
Yup. That minor investment would've been the difference in two or three of the disasters Niemi presided over. Four/six extra points and the Habs make the playoffs last year.

Reactions: japhi

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know if this was mentioned. But in the month of January, Price allowed 21 goals against on 320 shots and posted a .934 SV%. His record was 5-4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad