GDT: Columbus at Tampa Bay - 1/10/23 @ 7:00PM. “Official” GDT Thread

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am going to have to stop watching for a while. I am being more pessimistic/moody instead of it being fun for me. Just can’t watch this tank job.

Reactions: koteka and I3LI3

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Okay this pisses me off. Larsen is calling players out now after his coaching has been amateurish. Now he is going to the media about players because his seat is getting hot. Not a way to win over players.

I would venture to guess Johnny Hockey could coach this team better than Larsen. Also seems to me he was producing all of those years and now Larsen acts like he can coach him better and wants Johnny to shoulder the whole team. When his exact words in the beginning of the season he said he didn’t want him to shoulder the load for the entire team.

If a player is slacking (last I checked Johnny definitely was) then the coach has to feel free to hold them accountable. It doesn't matter whether the coach feels like he's done a great job coaching and it doesn't matter what the player is paid or how good he is. We all agree that we need accountability, here's a start.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Btw, there is a possibility that since the game couldn't be saved, players like Gaudreau, Laine (but I didn't really watch him after the 5th goal), etc., will play less so they don't possibly get injured.

Question. Where I can find shifts players in periods? I can find it neither Moneypuck nor Natural Stat Trick.

Last edited:

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Btw, there is a possibility that since the game couldn't be saved, players like Gaudreau, Laine (but I didn't really watch him after the 5th goal), etc., will play less so they don't possibly get injured.

Question. Where I can find shifts players in periods? I can find it neither Moneypuck nor Natural Stat Trick.

Reactions: VT

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I'm happy about Marchenko, dude is the real deal and I expected great things but probably not this soon.

What's there to say about Larsen at this point? Guy is trying his best he's just not an NHL coach. You can't just coach "effort" at this level and expect victories. He doesn't have the guys to compete right now but I don't think he's ever really proven to be a good coach with a healthy roster. It took how long for him to change practice styles and now the team finally looks fast? Roughly 4 months?

Johnny is probably annoyed with losing and having Laine turn over pucks. Patrik needs to find his game again. He looks very slow and ineffective. You could say that about a lot of players though.

Side note about Jody and Rimer, Jody seems to be carrying Rims even more of late. It's gotta be frustrating. This franchise really needs a new play by play guy. Bucci would be the dream.

Reactions: I3LI3

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Side note about Jody and Rimer, Jody seems to be carrying Rims even more of late. It's gotta be frustrating. This franchise really needs a new play by play guy. Bucci would be the dream.
Ever since McElligott started doing the radio I've had the sense that he's been expecting/hoping to be Rimer's successor. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him leave the organisation if they decided to replace Rimer with someone else.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Ever since McElligott started doing the radio I've had the sense that he's been expecting/hoping to be Rimer's successor. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him leave the organisation if they decided to replace Rimer with someone else.
I like Bob but not sure he's really that much of an upgrade. I definitely envision this team promoting him as the replacement since half our staff are former players who've never done their job before. Bob has been "developing" with the radio call.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I like Bob but not sure he's really that much of an upgrade. I definitely envision this team promoting him as the replacement since half our staff are former players who've never done their job before. Bob has been "developing" with the radio call.
Not a big fan of his calls but I can imagine him being a tolerable announcer provided Bally/Fox then demanded him to drop "and I've got two words for ya! Game over!" and rest of his corny phrases from the pbp.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What's there to say about Larsen at this point? Guy is trying his best he's just not an NHL coach. You can't just coach "effort" at this level and expect victories. He doesn't have the guys to compete right now but I don't think he's ever really proven to be a good coach with a healthy roster. It took how long for him to change practice styles and now the team finally looks fast? Roughly 4 months?

Is there something from this game that we're blaming Larsen for? Should he not be encouraging effort, and is there some other path he could take where we would expect to win this game?

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Johnny is probably annoyed with losing and having Laine turn over pucks. Patrik needs to find his game again. He looks very slow and ineffective. You could say that about a lot of players though.
In this game I thought Laine did a good job, certainly didn't look ineffective. In fact that second line was pretty good overall, they had their offensive moments and scored a couple. The first line and Johnny were invisible for the most part.
Better matchups. If he's out there with the first or second line he's going to be seeing tougher matchups. He gets pushed down and Larsen is trying to allow him to get more looks against lesser opponents. Gets his confidence going, but on the flip side Johnny and KJ need a body like Marchenkos on their line.
This makes too much sense. It almost sounds like... developing young players?

Also, I don't really know enough about coaching or coaches to give too much merit to my own thoughts, but seeing Lars make changes at all is actually a positive to me. Doesn't matter (right now) if it takes four months, as long as he realizes the need and makes the change, hopefully being faster the next time the same is needed.

In any case I've been happy watching the last couple of games, sure we give up goals too easily but otherwise we've been playing at least okay and getting chances, and if we ignore the goals given up, it's been entertaining. (And I'm fully in the tank now so winning isn't a concern.)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not a big fan of his calls but I can imagine him being a tolerable announcer provided Bally/Fox then demanded him to drop "and I've got two words for ya! Game over!" and rest of his corny phrases from the pbp.

Bob is sharp-witted and in control. I'd be eager to take him just to move on from Rims. Is there a better alternative, I don't know, but he's an upgrade.

Reactions: cslebn

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Bob is sharp-witted and in control. I'd be eager to take him just to move on from Rims. Is there a better alternative, I don't know, but he's an upgrade.
An upgrade for sure but listening to him will become tiresome very soon if he's more interested to take the role of comedian with the jokes, mannerisms and casual chatting instead of trying to describe actual game events.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Agreed but then…

Bob seems actually suited in other ways to TV. He doesn’t give the score and time enough for radio and he drifts off-topic which is fine if I’m watching what’s happening but not if I’m relying on him to let me know what’s going on.

I haven't watched a game for a while, but it sounds like Bob might be doing you a favor

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Is there something from this game that we're blaming Larsen for? Should he not be encouraging effort, and is there some other path he could take where we would expect to win this game?
It's an overall theme. Not just this game, in fact the team is able to now score a couple goals, thats an improvement! I guess...
His overall ideas clearly do not work, once again this team was bad even fully healthy. There's no clear system in place and the team gets dominated for the majority of games. They have recently just changed their practice style and it has shown dividends. How the hell did it take this long to make an adjustment? Thats not an NHL coach who is aware of what needs to be done.

What are Larsen's ideas that are supposed to bring about victories? Or do we just think you need the best roster and not be outskated?

Once again, I'm talking about up to this point in the season. Not a small sample size of one night.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's an overall theme. Not just this game, in fact the team is able to now score a couple goals, thats an improvement! I guess...
His overall ideas clearly do not work, once again this team was bad even fully healthy. There's no clear system in place and the team gets dominated for the majority of games. They have recently just changed their practice style and it has shown dividends. How the hell did it take this long to make an adjustment? Thats not an NHL coach who is aware of what needs to be done.

What are Larsen's ideas that are supposed to bring about victories? Or do we just think you need the best roster and not be outskated?

Once again, I'm talking about up to this point in the season. Not a small sample size of one night.
I'm not necessarily making excuses for Larsen, but we had maybe 7 or 8 games before players started dropping like flies while trying to implement a new offense

Reactions: Monk

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not necessarily making excuses for Larsen, but we had maybe 7 or 8 games before players started dropping like flies while trying to implement a new offense

This is sort of where I land, I can't justify blaming him squarely for this season's results, but he certainly hasn't done anything to instill confidence moving forward... I won't be horrified if they keep him next year, but would probably lean toward replacing him assuming a good alternative is available (and wants to coach the Jackets). The assumption there is key.

Reactions: CBJx614

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I wasn’t aware there was a new offense . Heard they were running a new defensive system ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This is sort of where I land, I can't justify blaming him squarely for this season's results, but he certainly hasn't done anything to instill confidence moving forward... I won't be horrified if they keep him next year, but would probably lean toward replacing him assuming a good alternative is available (and wants to coach the Jackets). The assumption there is key.

I think we definitely need a new coach. Lars had to be prodded to hold the players accountable, it's just not in his nature to push them hard. Maybe he'll learn from this and become a great coach but it will require a new start elsewhere, he's lost his voice here.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I wasn’t aware there was a new offense . Heard they were running a new defensive system ?
When you land a league leading scorer after not having a single player go over what, 60-70 points least season, your offensive plans change.

I think we definitely need a new coach. Lars had to be prodded to hold the players accountable, it's just not in his nature to push them hard. Maybe he'll learn from this and become a great coach but it will require lack leaving Columbus, he's lost his voice here.
Barring us going on say a 15-20 game losing streak, I think the FO keeps him through the off-season.
That being said I think he would be on an extremely, EXTREMELY short leash.

I also wouldn't be surprised for him to be fired the day after our last game.. I think the next 3 months will really determine that answer.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Barring us going on say a 15-20 game losing streak, I think the FO keeps him through the off-season.
That being said I think he would be on an extremely, EXTREMELY short leash.

I also wouldn't be surprised for him to be fired the day after our last game.. I think the next 3 months will really determine that answer.
These are 100% my thoughts. I'm guessing most everyone's expectation is that Lars gets fired but I think he has a chance for next year (on that short leash).

At the same time I also feel he's lost his voice in the room - but I wonder if this is such a special season and such young players that he might be able to regain it as the season goes towards its end. He's been in the organization for a long time, most players know him from before, and him being a "players' coach" or whatever might actually help now. If players see him learning and developing too, maybe he has a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad