Post-Game Talk: Columbus 5 Devils 4: Same old story edition

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It's Pete fault that Marty was too busy complaining on the 5th goal?

It's Pete fault that Merill didn't play that 2 on 1 well? Or that Gelinas made a wrong pinch?

Only thing I will fault Pete in this game is the fact that he played Brodeur over Cory.

Anything else is on the players. They made Brandon Dubinsky look like Crosby yesterday. Brodeur didn't come up with a key save.

Pete's problem is not his system, it's his personnal decisions. I don't know how you can fault him on giving up 5 goals, really.

You can see how the offense started just throwing everything on the net, and that's on Pete. +1

All we see is the negativity around here and we are blaming the wrong people.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
following TG's coverage of the shootout practice. so many of our guys scoring. even Cam beat Marty again

it scares me that our team is so bad in shootouts but Marty and Cory still allow on them :/

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Practice shoot outs mean nothing

These guys shoot on the goalies at least 3-4 times per week

They're pretty familiar with Marty's and Cory's tendencies

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It's Pete fault that Marty was too busy complaining on the 5th goal?

It's Pete fault that Merill didn't play that 2 on 1 well? Or that Gelinas made a wrong pinch?

Only thing I will fault Pete in this game is the fact that he played Brodeur over Cory.

Anything else is on the players. They made Brandon Dubinsky look like Crosby yesterday. Brodeur didn't come up with a key save.

Pete's problem is not his system, it's his personnal decisions. I don't know how you can fault him on giving up 5 goals, really.

You can see how the offense started just throwing everything on the net, and that's on Pete. +1

All we see is the negativity around here and we are blaming the wrong people.

It's a direct result of Pete's heavy forecheck puck possession system. We don't need guys constantly pinching and getting burned, especially when we're leading.

Blowing leads isn't anything new for Pete. It's followed him from Florida to here. With Pete we've always blown leads whether it be this year, last year and in the playoffs, it doesn't matter what team or what players he's had, it's a by-product of his system.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Ugh enough with the contract crap and players we don't have, who gives a ****.

Can we get back to discussing this disaster of a game?

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Those chicken fingers are tasty as hell. You judge him you must judge me as well.

Although we all know the nachos are the best food option at the Rock.

Those chicken fingers suck. The new Korean(?) Hot Dogs are up there for me now. Popcorn is popcorn. I had Devils fries and they sucked too.

Dollar hotdogs are the best value for your buck!

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Zajac's contract will make up 8% of the cap next year (assuming it goes up to $71 million as everyone is saying)

so backbreaking!!

hes not "grossly" overpaid. probably overpaid by about $1 million or so which will look fine in a year or two with the cap going up.

I admit I you were right, I was wrong about the contract. It's not really terrible considering the cap. However, he still should be producing more, even at that cap hit. He has been playing well lately, I agree, but that has to translate into more production. Same is true for Lokti.
Henrique is another story. he's not even playing well, let alone producing. He needs to get it together or we are gonna have a brutal deal on our hands.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Devils should've won last night. Devils had 2 days off after beating the Rags. Columbus flew back home late that day after a loss. Whats the excuse now??

Mory Schneideur*

On pulling Marty last night - how often do you see a goaltender get pulled when his team has a lead or when his team is trailing by a single goal? Mike Keenan is not our coach. Old school Jacques Lemaire isn't either. You just don't see **** like that happening. Maybe PDB was counting on his team to actually step up and protect the defensive zone? Brooklyn Devil said it right about NJ being bounced around. Columbus did whatever the hell they wanted at the front of the net. They needed a better game in goal, but ignoring how weak most of the goals were from a team perspective really leaves me scratching my head.

As for Henrique, he's been a mixed bag. Sometimes he looks good while other times he looks lost. He's been on the wrong end of too many important faceoffs, and defensively, he's taken a step back. But calling him out exclusively is pointless. Off the top of my head, there are 3 players that have had a pretty consistent season - Schneider, Gelinas and Jagr (for the most part). The rest of them have either been injured or underperforming (or both) at different points.

This agree with.

Henrique has not been "bad" the whole time like some here suggest.\

Oh so everyone now is panicking over the same roster that we all said was a deep one before the season started

Seems legit.

Typical HF. One month ago, retire Brodeur! Two weeks ago, holy wow Marty is amazing! Last night, Marty is hot garbage! Two weeks from now, ZOMG Marty is the Bestest!

Roster will go on a 10 game streak, suddenly we're gone hear "awesome squad", "Lou is a magician", etc.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Those chicken fingers are tasty as hell. You judge him you must judge me as well.

Although we all know the nachos are the best food option at the Rock.

Yes. Get the nachos if anything.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
On pulling Marty last night - how often do you see a goaltender get pulled when his team has a lead or when his team is trailing by a single goal? Mike Keenan is not our coach.

He could have been pulled at 3-3. Pete once pulled him in a PLAYOFF game at 3-3. Once it got to the third period yeah pulling him was unlikely but good christ, do 'something', call a timeout/pull the goalie...anything to change the momentum.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He could have been pulled at 3-3. Pete once pulled him in a PLAYOFF game at 3-3. Once it got to the third period yeah pulling him was unlikely but good christ, do 'something', call a timeout/pull the goalie...anything to change the momentum.

Yeah I do understand not pulling him in a tied game like that, but I really do believe he's afraid of pulling him to some extent. That game against Ottawa where he gave up two weak ones in the opening minutes down 2-0, he wasn't even pulled. Marty went to the media and seemed extremely unhappy the last two times he was pulled by Pete. It's not like he didn't deserve it both times. I'm still surprised he wasn't pulled in Ottawa that time cause Pete had no problems pulling him after two weak ones in the opening minutes against Calgary two years ago.

I think if he gave up 3 goals in the first 5-10 minutes, Pete would probably pull him. Or a mercy pull if he gives up 5 in the first two periods. Other than that, I don't see him yanking Marty.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Those chicken fingers suck. The new Korean(?) Hot Dogs are up there for me now. Popcorn is popcorn. I had Devils fries and they sucked too.

Dollar hotdogs are the best value for your buck!

Were those Korean dogs that good? I looked at one and it looked horrid. Decided against it. (Same with the disco fries). The BBQ stand they have there is pretty good.

And yes. nothing beats those dollar dogs. The last game when they offered them I think the most I saw a single person haul off was eight. It was quite a sight to behold. :laugh:

Mory Schneideur*

Pull him maybe. But then what, put in a Stone Cold Cory, still possibly lose? It was kind of late in the game already.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As I pointed out in the other thread, Marty has not been the same since he almost had his head taken off in San Jose. I just now remembered this. You gotta wonder if this has had some kind of bearing on how poorly he's played since that game.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Were those Korean dogs that good? I looked at one and it looked horrid. Decided against it. (Same with the disco fries). The BBQ stand they have there is pretty good.

And yes. nothing beats those dollar dogs. The last game when they offered them I think the most I saw a single person haul off was eight. It was quite a sight to behold. :laugh:

I love them. I've had both and they're great. They're glorified hot dogs but they're damn good.

I used to like the BBQ stand when it was on the concourse. Now they have it as a permanent stand and the quality just isn't as good. Though what I get is usually the pulled pork. So it's easy for it to have gone dry quickly I suppose.

The Devil Fries I bought on a whim because I left my food and bev card and had the exact amount of dollars to buy it (I refused to spend more than what I had in my pocket). They come with this addicting sauce, but the fries themselves taste like faux-Checkers fries without the pepper component. So I basically drenched them in the sauce and had sauce fries. Whatever kick they had you could replicate by taking normal fries, spraying them with red pepper and then microwaving them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad