Speculation: Colton Parayko's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well you can't force a player to sign for the amount of years you want... There's 2 sides to negotiations.

I don't know why people worry about this stuff. It's out of our hands. If Parayko, or any player, is given a long-term deal they're comfortable with they will sign it. If all they want to do is set up to get paid in free agency, well you really can't prevent that unless you want to overpay.
But then you cant blame the GM

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Youmustbenewhere.jpg
no, but obviously you are. Too many posters look at situations from a single fairly ignorant perspective.

Have I blamed Armstrong for those contracts?

I was saying that having a realistic outlook on contracts wouldnt allow you to blame the GM. People cried because he gave Shattenkirk a short term deal which as we can now see was Shattenkirk's intentions all along. He wanted to go to FA to sign with the Rangers.

So i was adding to your comment in a way

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I just don't see the big deal people are making of this. These numbers were likely floated to Elliotte by Parayko's agent. Agents know how Armstrong is with RFAs. Good on Parayko for trying to push his value up while looking out long term. But I think it will backfire on him. For 2 seasons straight we all thought he sustained a massive injury and he would be back shortly after. How long can this continue, eventually it is going to happen.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
no, but obviously you are. Too many posters look at situations from a single fairly ignorant perspective.

I was saying that having a realistic outlook on contracts wouldnt allow you to blame the GM. People cried because he gave Shattenkirk a short term deal which as we can now see was Shattenkirk's intentions all along. He wanted to go to FA to sign with the Rangers.

You absolutely cannot say that Shattenkirk wanted to go free agency 4 years ago based solely of what happened less than 3 weeks ago. The emergence of Parayko and the way the Blues constantly dangled Shatty as trade bait could have drastically his decision making process. He was on the block for 2+ years. Everything he said was that he liked the Blues and wanted to remain a Blue, except for the fact that he wanted more responsibility and Parayko precluded that. Had we offered him a long-term deal 4 years ago, at a slightly higher cap hit, he may have felt that indicated we wanted to give him a bigger role. You say too many posters are ignorant, but than you immediately make an analysis that ignores all the available facts so it suits your viewpoint.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I just don't see the big deal people are making of this. These numbers were likely floated to Elliotte by Parayko's agent. Agents know how Armstrong is with RFAs. Good on Parayko for trying to push his value up while looking out long term. But I think it will backfire on him. For 2 seasons straight we all thought he sustained a massive injury and he would be back shortly after. How long can this continue, eventually it is going to happen.

These are the numbers both sides submitted to the arbitrator in advance of the hearing.

But agreed too many are getting too worried.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This is something we actually agree on.
There are way too many comps out there that set the bar below 6.
I wouldn't be upset if it happens but I don't think it's the right #

Depends on the term. If it's an 8 year deal, it's going to have to start with a 6 on the AAV. Anything six years or less should start with a 5.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Gotcha. I actually thought that's what you were doing but hard to pick that up through text. No worries.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You absolutely cannot say that Shattenkirk wanted to go free agency 4 years ago based solely of what happened less than 3 weeks ago. The emergence of Parayko and the way the Blues constantly dangled Shatty as trade bait could have drastically his decision making process. He was on the block for 2+ years. Everything he said was that he liked the Blues and wanted to remain a Blue, except for the fact that he wanted more responsibility and Parayko precluded that. Had we offered him a long-term deal 4 years ago, at a slightly higher cap hit, he may have felt that indicated we wanted to give him a bigger role. You say too many posters are ignorant, but than you immediately make an analysis that ignores all the available facts so it suits your viewpoint.

Players say that all the time, its diplomacy. So no...I dont put that much weight there. I would wager the constant dangling was because of Shattenkirk's desire to go to NY. I(we) ignored all the anecdotal evidence that he wanted to play in NY. Turns out the obnoxious Ranger fans were right.

I will concede that none of that is factual and largely based on hindsight but the peices fit.

It feels like the whole thing was the worst kept secrete in the league now.

Edit: i would add that im not implying Shattenkirk hated Stl. I wouldnt question that he was sincere when he said he loved Stl. He says he wanted more responsibility but that never would have happened due to Pietrangelo.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't understand why most people are upset, even if we do make it to arb we could easily sign him the next time around and buy even more years of UFA. Yeah the price might jump up with more UFA years bought, but we could have it cemented that he will be here for 8-10 more years from today. A bridge deal isn't ideal, but, it could cause us to have him as a Blue for a long long time.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
The concern is that Armstrong has taken two runs at Parayko and hasn't come up with a deal. If he doesn't get a long term deal cut in the next two days, the chances probably decrease that we will ever get a long term deal cut before UFA, particularly if Parayko gets a two year bridge.

While I agree that there is not cause for total panic b/c a deal might get done, if a deal in fact does not get done in the next two days, the Blues definitely have a significant issue on their hands as to one of their three most valuable players....and that is not a good thing.

Finally, there is too much focus on strict adherence to comps IMO. When you are dealing with a player of Parayko's ceiling, character and popularity, there should be some "play" in the comp equation. He probably does as much as anyone outside of Tank and Petro to help us win, he's one of our best and most consistent players night in and night out, he's future captain material, he works harder than most any other player and he is already one of the most popular players for the fans (he puts butts in seats). He's a "face of the franchise" type player and it's hard to argue that such a player is worth 5.5 million but definitely is not worth 6 million. Many posters here believe he will probably contend for the Norris at some point in his career. It would be foolish to draw such a hard line on such a player...it's not the hill you choose to draw the battle line. The battle line should have been drawn on contracts such as Berglund...not on Parayko. Parayko simply is worth more to this franchise than an extra 500K.

Put another way, we only have a couple of legit superstar and potential superstar talents. If we need to pay them an extra 500k to make them happy, you pay them the money. No one else on this team really is comparable to Tank, Petro or Parayko. The asset has such enormous intrinsic value b/c the asset is so difficult to find. We can find 10 Berglunds...we can find 20 Jaskins, we can even probably find a few Fabbris or Edmundsons....but finding a Petro, a Tank or a Parayko is a once in a decade development. The same rules don't apply to a superstar or a potential superstar. It's penny-wise pound foolish to quibble over 500k with an uber-elite player that has shown great character and work ethic. You make them happy and should be happy to have them b/c the value of a franchise for the owners is largely tied to its elite players, not to its interchangeable pieces.

In any case, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it's tomorrow. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both sides can continue to negotiate until the arbitrator actually officially announces his decision, which usually happens in a couple of days.

Correct. The arbitrator's decision is due 24 hours after the hearing and the two sides can still negotiate a deal up until the arbitrator announces his decision.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Puck Daddy Blog

Puck Daddy / Ryan Lambert said:
4 – Shortchanging Colton Parayko

All the stuff I just said about Tomas Tatar, who I think is pretty good but not, like, great or anything, goes double for Colton Parayko. This kid is pretty close to being an elite defender if he’s not already (and I think I would lean pretty heavily toward being in the latter camp; I think he’s probably already better than Alex Pietrangelo) and the Blues are also crying poor on this.

Elliotte Friedman says they’re about $1.35 million apart on their asks — Parayko also wants $4.85 million for one year, rather than a $3.5 million AAV for two — and it’s like, “Hey man, you can’t make less than three-quarters-of-a-million less than Jay Bouwmeesster here!”

Again, I get it, you’re trying to keep the cost down for the next RFA contract and all that. Sure, makes sense. But man, no one made them give Patrik Berglund $3.85 million or Bouwmeester $5.4 million, right?

Turning out your pockets over a borderline-elite young player, or even a pretty good one, because you’re overpaying mediocre veterans seems like a “you” problem, rather than a “them” problem.

I wonder why NHL teams keep thinking they can get away with this kind of thing.

Source: https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-vs-nba...n-parayko-puck-daddy-countdown-135742838.html

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
This contract, the Fabbri contract and Edmundson's as well are where the Berglund contract hurts.

If Friedman is correct, if I am reading this correctly, why are we looking at one and two year deals?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
This contract, the Fabbri contract and Edmundson's as well are where the Berglund contract hurts.

If Friedman is correct, if I am reading this correctly, why are we looking at one and two year deals?

The one and 2 year deals are in the picture because those are the arbitration asks that were leaked yesterday.

Mar 6, 2012
Parayko is not even close to being better than Pietrangelo. That's a silly statement by someone who obviously does not closely follow the team.

Will he end up being better? That's entirely possible, but it hasn't happened yet.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Weird situation where this deadline is making national writers and general fans break into sweats and get fidgety more than it does with Blues fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad