Speculation: Colton Parayko's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Why are they going two years instead of one?

Makes zero sense if you want to maximize leverage to sign him long term.

It also isn't consistent with Armstrong's statement that, if he couldn't get a long term deal done this summer, then he would re-approach Parayko in January.

I think Armstrong is really kicking the can on this one...at least that is what his actions suggest. If he doesn't get a deal done, and we actually go to a hearing, I don't think it bodes well for future negotiations.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Anyone else have a take on the above? If Armstrong is low-balling Parayko this is fairly upsetting

Yeah. Armstrong didn't budget for a bridge contract. He budgeted for the long term AAV. So this 4M number makes no sense except in light of the arbitration proceedings. He would have expected something closer to 5.5M+, which is apparent because he DID budget for that.

Sounds like a report got botched, or maybe he has another player on the hook awaiting this deal.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Makes zero sense if you want to maximize leverage to sign him long term.

It also doesn't comport with Armstrong's statement that, if he couldn't get a long term deal done this summer, then he would re-approach Parayko in January.

I think Armstrong is really kicking the can on this one...at least that is what his actions suggest.

Maybe he suspects Parayko will prefer 1 year to 2 (he would) and the 2 year deal will be sufficiently unattractive to improve the chances he signs the long term offer on the table. I could buy that.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Yeah. Armstrong didn't budget for a bridge contract. He budgeted for the long term AAV. So this 4M number makes no sense except in light of the arbitration proceedings. He would have expected something closer to 5.5M+, which is apparent because he DID budget for that.

Sounds like a report got botched, or maybe he has another player on the hook awaiting this deal.

Rutherford has reported it in an article and a chat. JR doesn't usually take wild flyers with his reports...he pretty much reports what he is told by the Blues.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Rutherford has reported it in an article and a chat. JR doesn't usually take wild flyers with his reports...he pretty much reports what he is told by the Blues.

He's taking the 5% too literal IMO. What Army is wanting is just some fluff room when injuries happen, and that's what he said he wanted. He doesn't want to use all of the space available, but going a little over and have 4% left would be fine if it means signing Parayko long-term. He wants a long-term deal in the 5's, and Parayko's camp was probably pushing for something in the 6's.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I took the cap cushion in response to Army signing more FAs and not Parayko talks.

I can see DA being somewhat gunshy after jumping the gun after Lehtera. We all love CP but he hasnt warranted an almost 6m contract. Your really banking on the future with it. If CP doesnt improve, the contract wouldn't be a bargin.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I took the cap cushion in response to Army signing more FAs and not Parayko talks.

I can see DA being somewhat gunshy after jumping the gun after Lehtera. We all love CP but he hasnt warranted an almost 6m contract. Your really banking on the future with it. If CP doesnt improve, the contract wouldn't be a bargin.

But see, DA called Parayko a cornerstone player at the postmortem press conference. I don't think he has any problem going long term at 6m with him. He's paid who he considers "cornerstone" guys (Petro, Vlad) before. Even if Petro and Vlad had proven more at the time of their deals, I don't think Armstrong would've used that wording publicly if he didn't plan on going long term with 55.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
But see, DA called Parayko a cornerstone player at the postmortem press conference. I don't think he has any problem going long term at 6m with him. He's paid who he considers "cornerstone" guys (Petro, Vlad) before. Even if Petro and Vlad had proven more at the time of their deals, I don't think Armstrong would've used that wording publicly if he didn't plan on going long term with 55.
Right, i should have expanded more. DA may want the contract to be more bonus laden, then just outright salary. Im more spit balling then anything

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Right, i should have expanded more. DA may want the contract to be more bonus laden, then just outright salary. Im more spit balling then anything

Fair enough. Obviously no one here really knows what's going on in those negotiations all we can do is spitball! I just hope they get him locked up long term sooner rather than later.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

That's exactly why I'm not buying what JR is saying. What incentive does the team have to publicly disclose their actual position? It's posturing, and nothing more.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yup, I'll be a little less confident if we dont nail down a long term deal. It could be as simple as there are 2 contracts on the table.

1. DA's offered contract...favors a the Blues but CP will be happy with
2. CP's wanted contract....favors CP but is something DA is comfortable with.

Hopefully they are seeing which way the ARB leans then goes from there

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
That's exactly why I'm not buying what JR is saying. What incentive does the team have to actually publicly disclose their actual position?

Why would the team take a clandestine, "screws to the wall" negotiating posture with a cornerstone player?

On a different topic, this sets up to be an unusual arb hearing:

1. We've called him a cornerstone player
2. He's already played first pairing on two International teams (U23 and Team Canada regular team), excelled in both tourneys, earned a tournament all-star two months ago and pretty much is slated to be on Team Canada in future tourneys if you believe Jon Cooper.

Really not sure what the Blues are going to say.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why would the team take a clandestine, "screws to the wall" negotiating posture with a cornerstone player?

On a different topic, this sets up to be an unusual arb hearing

1. We've called him a cornerstone player
2. He's already played first pairing on two Team Canada teams (U23 and regular team) and earned a tournament all-star two months ago...pretty much is slated to be on Team Canada in future tourneys if you believe Jon Cooper.

That argument is always used in arb hearings for top players. In reality, both sides know it's a business, and after it's over, what was said doesn't matter.

Just look at how the Sobotka situation went. It was as poorly as it can, and everything is good now. Once the player hits the ice, they don't care about that stuff. They just want their agent to get them the best possible contract available.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Again, what is being said publicly likely isn't congruent with what's being said behind closed doors. Armstrong's done a nice job on his RFA contracts with his core pieces. I really doubt he's pinching pennies on a long term deal here with Parayko. At this point, I'm starting to believe Parayko's camp is dug in on a number north of six million on something like a four year deal. Term would make the most sense to me as the biggest sticking point. If Parayko's side is digging in on demanding a four or five year deal, I'm not going to blame Armstrong for putting his foot down. If we're going long term, we need to buy more than just one or two UFA years. Otherwise, just keep it short term.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
So did this buy just one year of UFA? Was sorta hoping we'd be able to work out at least two. Nevertheless, nice AAV and yay!

Edit:
(well JR just tweeted this bought 2 years of UFA - me maths bad). So this just got better

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
It sounds like 6+ years was a resistance point for Parayko or temporarily too expensive for DA's taste.

Good outcome all things considered...and avoiding the hearing is wise.

Good job DA.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
AAV literally exactly what I was expecting, but don't like the term. Wanted 6 years for that price.

Well, we've gotten out of the danger zone for a while...have some time to make him an A, have him become a leader on the team and really get to love the city.

I have a feeling that the next contract is going to be very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad