Rumor: Colorado Would Like To Add Defenseman In 4M AAV Range

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Timmins will be in the NHL this year.

For how many games? That's the question...

I think Colorado will take their time with Byram.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Timmins will be in the NHL this year.

For how many games? That's the question...

I think Colorado will take their time with Byram.
Byram needs to be in the NHL because he has nothing left to learn in the WHL. That likely means that Timmins starts in the AHL even though he's NHL ready, as breaking in two rookies on the 3rd pairing is asking a lot.

Graves --- Makar
Girard --- Johnson
Byram --- RHD
Cole/Timmins

Timins would naturally be the first call up, and likely sticks on the roster once Byram has settled a bit.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Would Hanifin be a good fit in Colorado, and what would the cost be to acquire him?

Hanifin --- Makar
Girard ---- Johnson
Graves --- Byram/Timmins

For it to be worth it, he needs to take that step forward. Do you see him doing this?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
They need to let Byram play in Europe if they eel he's going to be a liability at the NHL level this year.

Timmins isn't a lock to play a full season at all

Sounds like they are choosing Cole over Zadorov (not going to re-argue if that is the correct decision and will just accept it)

Sakic may be looking for a #4/5 @ around $4m, but I agree, it needs to be:
RHS
2way or defensive minded
Good skater and decent to good outlet passer
1-2 year deal unless the player is mid 20s age that can move on with this core if not taken in the ED.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
DeAngelo for Newhook? Though I haven’t heard much about Newhook since his draft year ...

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
DeAngelo for Newhook? Though I haven’t heard much about Newhook since his draft year ...
Guess you’ve been under a rock. Newhook is a top 10 league wide prospect. Kid destroyed the NCAA in his rookie season and looks like he will be a very high scoring forward in the NHL. Avs seem more set on getting a guy like Parayko, a guy who is solid defensively and can score some goals here and there. Maybe Ristolainen, Severson, Pesce, Cernak, Hamonic, Tanev, Savard.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Guess you’ve been under a rock. Newhook is a top 10 league wide prospect. Kid destroyed the NCAA in his rookie season and looks like he will be a very high scoring forward in the NHL. Avs seem more set on getting a guy like Parayko, a guy who is solid defensively and can score some goals here and there. Maybe Ristolainen, Severson, Pesce, Cernak, Hamonic, Tanev, Savard.
Damn. That’s pretty great. Don’t know how he slid so low during his draft year. Avs are set for a long time to come. I envy you guys!

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Couldn’t hurt to ask. I just saw ADA as the second player in a potential 1-2 offensive punch with Makar. Wish I could say I knew more about the Avs / their system.
All good. I just value Newhook very highly and given the long-term outlook of the Avs, it will take a pretty big offer to get him included in a trade, I think. At least it would for me.

We also have Byram coming up either next year or the following year at the very latest, and if he brings some offense to the backend we won't have a need for ADA for long, if at all. We need more of a shutdown or two-way RHD to slot next to either Girard or Byram.

blackhawks1229

May 17, 2011
So a 3 team was mentioned here in OP rumor ,,, So how about

To :bruins
D Nikita Zadarov (RFA)
G Corey Crawford (UFA rights)

To :hawks
Avalanche 2020 1st round pick (25th)
RW Nikolai Kovalalenko
G Philipp Grubauer (1 yr at $3.33M)

To ::avs
D Connor Murphy (2 yrs at $3.85M)
G Tuukka Rask ( 1 yr at $7M)

- Avs get top 4 RHD and Elite goalie for year
- B's get young top 4 LHD who would be great fit for them and can sign Crawford on 1-2 year deal
- Hawks pick up a 1st for this years draft , Another longterm Russian prospect (Hawks have Altybarkmakyan and Kayumov developing) and a stopgap #1 to pair with Delia this year

Deal also opens up cap room for B's to chase a scoring top 6 winger (Hoffman , Dadanov , etc)
I don’t hate it actually. Might be the best 3 way “hockey trade” I’ve seen here.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
So a 3 team was mentioned here in OP rumor ,,, So how about

To :bruins
D Nikita Zadarov (RFA)
G Corey Crawford (UFA rights)

To :hawks
Avalanche 2020 1st round pick (25th)
RW Nikolai Kovalalenko
G Philipp Grubauer (1 yr at $3.33M)

To ::avs
D Connor Murphy (2 yrs at $3.85M)
G Tuukka Rask ( 1 yr at $7M)

- Avs get top 4 RHD and Elite goalie for year
- B's get young top 4 LHD who would be great fit for them and can sign Crawford on 1-2 year deal
- Hawks pick up a 1st for this years draft , Another longterm Russian prospect (Hawks have Altybarkmakyan and Kayumov developing) and a stopgap #1 to pair with Delia this year

Deal also opens up cap room for B's to chase a scoring top 6 winger (Hoffman , Dadanov , etc)

pretty bad for Boston

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
just checked capfriendly and noticed zadorov is an rfa . are they not planning on resigning him ?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Travis Hamonic would be a good fit on the 2nd pairing. The Avs need some brawn and shut-down first D men IMHO.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don’t hate it actually. Might be the best 3 way “hockey trade” I’ve seen here.
Of course you would say that as a Chicago fan because you make out like bandits here. Crawford is an UFA and has no value, so to get that haul for basically just Murphy and Crawfords worthless UFA rights is robbery. It's absolutely awful for Boston.
just checked capfriendly and noticed zadorov is an rfa . are they not planning on resigning him ?
Avs have a surplus of LHD's so he is the odd man out (Girard, Graves, Cole, Byram, Zadorov).

Travis Hamonic would be a good fit on the 2nd pairing. The Avs need some brawn and shut-down first D men IMHO.
Hamonic would be a good fit style-wise, but he will probably want too much dollars and term as this is his last big payday.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Getting a top 4 dman under 4M$ is feasable but getting a dman better than EJ, Makar, Girard or Graves @ 4M$ ? I don’t see how

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Getting a top 4 dman under 4M$ is feasable but getting a dman better than EJ, Makar, Girard or Graves @ 4M$ ? I don’t see how
Cernak can be offersheeted up to $4.227m and only require a 2nd in compensation. An OS might admittedly be unlikely, but the threat of one could force the issue if we offer a bit more than just a 2nd in a trade.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm going to miss Z so much.
Likewise, massive mistake (IMO) choosing Gravy over Zads. We want to win. Stanley Cup, not a Presidents Trophy, and I’ll take Zads over Gravy any day on the second or perhaps more appropriately third line D in the playofffs (twice on Sunday).

Last edited:
Reactions: missionAvs

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Likewise, massive mistake (IMO) choosing Gravy over Zads. We want to win. Stanley Cup, not a Presidents Trophy, and I’ll take Zads over Gravy any day on the second or perhaps more appropriately third line D in the playofffs (twice on Sunday).
I'd gladly keep Zadorov, but the deciding factors are that Graves is a better fit with Makar and should also be ~$1m cheaper than Zadorov next season.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I'd gladly keep Zadorov, but the deciding factors are that Graves is a better fit with Makar and should also be ~$1m cheaper than Zadorov next season.
I appreciate the logic, and GM Joe may well be correct (he has a tendency to make good trades, so value could also factor in here). I worry that Graves - Makar isn’t viable long-term because Makar has outgrown Gravy, and we’ll need a partner (or one who develops). When Gravy is pushed down to 3rd D line, because Girard will be first or second line, we may wish he was a bit more Zads like.

That said, I would really love to see Z land in Boston for mentorship under Chara, if he is moved.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I appreciate the logic, and GM Joe may well be correct (he has a tendency to make good trades, so value could also factor in here). I worry that Graves - Makar isn’t viable long-term because Makar has outgrown Gravy, and we’ll need a partner (or one who develops). When Gravy is pushed down to 3rd D line, because Girard will be first or second line, we may wish he was a bit more Zads like.

That said, I would really love to see Z land in Boston for mentorship under Chara, if he is moved.

Agreed. I think that both Z and Graves are bottom pairing guys most of the time. It's just that Z is a better bottom pairing shutdown Dman especially in the playoffs. Graves-Makar is not a good pairing and should be treated as a placeholder until Byram is ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad