GDT: Colorado @ Montreal | October 18th, 5PM MT | We need Roy to play in net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
or why not give a look at guys we already have like Redmond? Hell, Noreau can move the puck, would it be terrible to give him a try on the third pair?

Redmond would be fine, but IMO the problems are much deeper. This is a systemic problem. The top players aren't playing together very well, so adding a depth player - or two, or seven - isn't going to solve it. They're playing poor hockey. All of them.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Avs fan on the main boards campaigning for Landeskog to be traded and/or stripped of the C...some of our fans :facepalm:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Redmond would be fine, but IMO the problems are much deeper. This is a systemic problem. The top players aren't playing together very well, so adding a depth player - or two, or seven - isn't going to solve it. They're playing poor hockey. All of them.

Not true. Duchene is fine. Mackinnon has had moments but is being dragged down by his linemates.

Avs fan on the main boards campaigning for Landeskog to be traded and/or stripped of the C...some of our fans :facepalm:

Ya that's me. Not for stripping him of the C, but he's the only player who can be traded for a #1 D and who isn't contributing that much to the offense. I don't understand the infatuation with Landeskog. Every time the puck touched his stick tonight the play died.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Berra is not an AHL goalie either ;)

Fair enough, but Berra likely just moves the Avs from a borderline lottery team to one that misses the playoffs (given a full season of said goaltending).

The way this roster is put together requires excellent goaltending to succeed, ala last season. Not decent or above average goaltending. Excellent goaltending.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Not true. Duchene is fine. Mackinnon has had moments but is being dragged down by his linemates.

Who is Duchene playing well *with*?

And wasn't MacKinnon playing with Landeskog/O'R starting the game tonight? If that's so, who in Hades should he be playing with as an alternative? That's 135 points from last year's roster on his line.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Who is Duchene playing well *with*?

And wasn't MacKinnon playing with Landeskog/O'R starting the game tonight? If that's so, who in Hades should he be playing with as an alternative? That's 135 points from last year's roster on his line.

I don't get your first question, and I don't have a clue who Mackinnon should be playing with. Landy is currently dragging the line down because his passes are errant and he tries to dangle through too many guys even though he can't. RoR looks soft and loses every single puck battle.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm done putting blames on players. Management signs this players, and if they are stubborn enough to not realize that that defense needs a major change, let them finish at the bottom again.

I just wonder how Sakic will go about making a coaching change after few more years of being awful.

Look what the Islanders did, they needed to improve their defense and they did aggressively. I'm actually jealous of such management that see a problem and do things to actually fix the problem unlike the Avs who either too stupid to see the problem, or they see it but being stubborn because they think they can win with MacKinnon and Duchene since their mentality is, offense wins games as long as goalie stops everything.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Fair enough, but Berra likely just moves the Avs from a borderline lottery team to one that misses the playoffs (given a full season of said goaltending).

The way this roster is put together requires excellent goaltending to succeed, ala last season. Not decent or above average goaltending. Excellent goaltending.

Are we talking about all season or just Tuesday? I'm not ready to write Varly out of the whole season. I'm sure there will be injuries to them again but I guess I'll assume Varly still plays a majority of the season. If that changes then my expectations will change.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't get your first question, .

Argh, sorry bud. Maybe I'm not explaining this very clearly. Perhaps it's a chicken-egg argument, but I believe the problem is the whole system the whole team is unsuccessfully playing. Duchene is perhaps doing some decent things individually, but his chemistry isn't really good with anyone, and if that's the case, how can he be "playing well"? That is the problem with the whole team, IMO. There is no chemistry on any line or pairing at all. Ugly team hockey.

and I don't have a clue who Mackinnon should be playing with. Landy is currently dragging the line down because his passes are errant and he tries to dangle through too many guys even though he can't. RoR looks soft and loses every single puck battle.

I'm wondering how long Roy can stick with the MacKinnon-at-center thing. It's clearly not working at this point, and I know that Roy believes it clearly must work at some point. It's part of the problem, IMO.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Are we talking about all season or just Tuesday? I'm not ready to write Varly out of the whole season. I'm sure there will be injuries to them again but I guess I'll assume Varly still plays a majority of the season. If that changes then my expectations will change.

No, I'm simply saying that if the Erie goaltenders are all Colorado has, a loss to Florida is quite plausible.

My comments about 'bottom third' et al, are simply hypothetical extrapolation of current injuries.

m0ngr31

I'm done putting blames on players. Management signs this players, and if they are stubborn enough to not realize that that defense needs a major change, let them finish at the bottom again.

I just wonder how Sakic will go about making a coaching change after few more years of being awful.

Look what the Islanders did, they needed to improve their defense and they did aggressively. I'm actually jealous of such management that see a problem and do things to actually fix the problem unlike the Avs who either too stupid to see the problem, or they see it but being stubborn because they think they can win with MacKinnon and Duchene since their mentality is, offense wins games as long as goalie stops everything.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm also curious to know what PAP did to piss off Roy so much. Doesn't seem like any of our forwards this season are playing defensively better or less lazy than PAP last season. Was it seriously just the top 6 thing? Which I can't imagine it being that big of a deal for him since we started with 3 scoring lines...

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Argh, sorry bud. Maybe I'm not explaining this very clearly. Perhaps it's a chicken-egg argument, but I believe the problem is the whole system the whole team is unsuccessfully playing. Duchene is perhaps doing some decent things individually, but his chemistry isn't really good with anyone, and if that's the case, how can he be "playing well"? That is the problem with the whole team, IMO. There is no chemistry on any line or pairing at all. Ugly team hockey.

I'm wondering how long Roy can stick with the MacKinnon-at-center thing. It's clearly not working at this point, and I know that Roy believes it clearly must work at some point. It's part of the problem, IMO.

I agree with everything you're saying. Duchene is basically that good that he can achieve some things by himself, but overall the team is playing like a hot pile of crap. Mackinnon at C might not be a good idea. I don't know.

Avs need to gut the defense and rebuild it, quickly. Islanders made some nice moves to acquire some defensive quality, but nothing that great. I really think a blockbuster trade involving Landeskog would accelerate this team in the right direction. I mean, who else can be traded?? And who else has such a high perceived value in the league that simply doesn't match the production?

RoR is a trade piece but he would never get that top end D-man we need.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Berra is supposed to play on Tuesday according to Chambers. If you believe he got his information from the Ouija Board (possible) then forget everything I've said.

LOL. Yeah, Chambers' information needs to be checked and rechecked several times prior to believing it as fact.

If so, it's good news. Hockey teams play quite differently in front of goaltenders in whom they have confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad