GDT: Colorado Avalanche@ Winnipeg Jets 10/26/14 1 PM MDT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Not really. How would he have any scoring chances when MacKinnon is looking lost and Landy is the guy setting up in front of the net? Last season it was ROR crashing the net or setting up around the circles for a one-timer while Duchene did the work down low and set him up. I've noticed O'Reilly setting up behind the net a la Stastny and controlling it very well, but nothing is coming of it because the opposition is throwing everything they can in front of the goalie and frankly, Landy and MacK aren't doing enough to get to rebounds and/or loose pucks. I realize that's not necessarily their game, but they should be better in that regard.

Not enough is said about how well the Wylde's strategy of clogging up the slot worked against the Avs. It's clear, to me at least, a lot of other teams have adopted that tactic and it's working very well in shutting down the offense. Roy's not really doing much to make adjustments and it doesn't help that MacKinnon just doesn't look right at all. Landy still isn't 100% either.

To be honest I'd like to see them at least try a Landy-O'Reilly-Briere line. There at least you have three guys who know how to work the puck down low and a guy who currently is better able to put the puck in the net.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Those Calder winners have been struggling. He needs them to perform up to their potential so that he isn't carrying the line.

Well, if we had to pick one of the three to lead the other two by being the first to perform up to his potential and "carry" the others a bit, wouldn't we choose the most experienced player who's getting paid the most?

Look, I totally get that MacKinnon and Landeskog aren't playing very well either. I simply don't get all of the excuses being given to O'Reilly, but not the other two. Or any of his teammates. Just him. He hasn't played all that well this season, and IMO it's really quite obvious. Why is it such a big deal to acknowledge this?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know why people call Avs a fast team. They don't have that many fast players anymore.

Duchene, MacKinnon and Mitchell are fast. Landeskog, EJ, Barrie and Redmond are reasonably fast. But that's it. MacKinnon looks a bit sluggish. I don't think he's created a single breakaway this season.

They're not playing like a fast team right now, or they don't have fast players anymore? Barrie and Redmond are both very fast, and McGinn is underrated in his speed.

They just haven't been clicking as a team most of the season. When you're not supporting each other and your passes are off the mark, you don't look fast.

They'll be fine once they get back on track. They played at one of the quickest tempos in the league last year, and it's not like Staz was a speedster.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Well, if we had to pick one of the three to lead the other two by being the first to perform up to his potential and "carry" the others a bit, wouldn't we choose the most experienced player who's getting paid the most?

Look, I totally get that MacKinnon and Landeskog aren't playing very well either. I simply don't get all of the excuses being given to O'Reilly, but not the other two. Or any of his teammates. Just him. He hasn't played all that well this season, and IMO it's really quite obvious. Why is it such a big deal to acknowledge this?

I vote pick the Captain to lead the line. He was the higher draft pick, so should be the more talented guy. And he is 4th year, not really significantly different than 6th year. Not like he is making much less than ROR either. (Especially if you look at total value of contracts...Landy~$49.725m/10yr, ROR~$24.7m/7yr).

No excuses for either of them (I will give Nate 'some' slack, 2nd year is tough for many). Or the D, or Roy. They ALL have been less than expected. Barrie is dong fine offensively, but has been a hole on D.

The top line (along with everyone else) is still not producing like it should. As of right now, projections:
Duchene, Iggy, Barrie = 64pts
ROR, Tangs = 46pts
Mack, McG = 36pts
Landy, Briere, Johnson = 27pts
and worse.

That tells me that NOBODY is doing well. Or at least as well as they should.

Given known chemistry, I think they should try:
90-9-92
40-29-12

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

How do you expect someone to live up to their potential when they are not in a potential maximizing role? RoR should be the one getting scoring chances, not setting up others.

MacK gets no excuses. That dude is completely lost right now. He is extremely clumsy with the puck and he is never open in transition. Both RoR and Lando have tightened up their games. MacK is still no better though.

Lando has been improving recently. Been playing faster, getting into good position, and doesn't have stone hands like early. He gets the same "excuse" as RoR. But like RoR, he can't carry a line. MacK has got to provide that great playmaking skill he has if that line is going to maximize its potential and have everyone score like last year.

Maybe he gets all the excuses because you guys can't admit that he has been playing better and better since the start of the year, or in this case you are expecting him to be something he is not. Is he at the top of his game? No. But he is playing a lot better than you guys are willing to admit. You are expecting him to be something he is not just because of his pay. The dude should not be the main playmaker on a line that is expected to produce at a high level. That's not an excuse, that's just the plain truth.

And it's not just him. Duchene (no chemistry for awhile), McLeod (needs a center), Talbot (needs a C), Iggy (start of year, typical Iggy), all "excused" for their play and slow starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad