GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs. Washington Capitals [Not so Epic GDT...]

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Mcdermaid is so damn slow that he can't keep enough momentum to make hard hits even with his massive frame.. but his skills on the blue line is oddly decent (for his role).

I still think Englund is more talented and should play more. Both mcdermaid and MacDonald can sit.

Not only that but MacDermid can only really lay effective hits on guys when he's on the forecheck. In the defensive zone he's really easy to knock down because he simply isn't that steady on his skates. Cody McLeod 2.0.

When he's on the point he has an okay shot when he can actually get it going but he also has a tendency to whiff spectacularly and create turnovers. He's just a really bad hockey player.

I still don't get the Englund hate. Apart from one instance in the first period where he was waaaaay too aggressive in the neutral zone trying to gap up with a Caps player and let someone sneak in right behind him (Georgiev and Compher bailed him out) he was perfectly fine. He wins his fair share of puck battles down low, doesn't try too much, and usually makes the safe play. He's a decent skater too, I don't see him get walked too often. I have no issue whatsoever if he's the 6D going forward. I'd much rather it be him than MacDermid.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I like the discussions on these depth guys.

Hunt is already locked up for next season at 762,500. Because of his play, I actually think he should be considered the #6 of the team right now. And should be expected to make the team out of camp next season. He should get as many PP2 minutes as possible. I don't know if I want him manning the point or down in one of the circles for the one-timer, but his shot is such a huge plus the Avs really need to try and take advantage of it.

KMac is signed thru next season at 987,500. He's versatile. There are not a lot of people who can suit up as a winger one night and a defensemen the next and provide consistency. Yes, we would all like him to be better, I think he needs to work with a power skater and try to do something with his foot speed. He would be sooo much better if just a bit quicker. But the boys seem to love him and he's the perfect nacho guy when running a 21 man roster. You can give older guys a night off when healthy, and well let's face it...we will never be healthy again.

JMac is signed thru next season at 762,500. I like him a lot more as a forward than a defenseman. I also don't like him very much as a forward. He's depth. He's somewhat versatile. He's signed thru next season. I hope he has a great season, but I would prefer for him to be leading the Eagles to the Calder Cup. He just seems like such a meh player to me at the NHL level. Just absolutely nothing really going on when he's on the ice.

As for Englund, I'm not sure that I'd call him a #6. With the right partner, I suppose he'd be fine. I have absolutely no problems with him as a #7 or deeper. He's a guy I really haven't minded since his early season runs at our goalies. He plays mostly a net neutral game. He's safe, knows his limitations and does his best to stay within them. He allows us to tread water while the other guys rest up and I suppose that is about as much as you really should be hoping for from a depth guy. He's an UFA this summer. Not sure if he's in the future plans or not. I can't see a huge raise over 750,000 he's making this season personally but to be honest on a non-contending team, he probably can actually make the roster out of camp, get regular minutes and make more money. I wouldn't mind him back depending on cost, but I can see him getting a better offer and wouldn't blame him in the least.

Who was the other depth defensemen we signed last spring/summer? Aamodt? (sp?) Has anyone seen him play? I'm thinking he's either been injured or is a work in progress as we haven't seen him on the Avs yet with all these injuries.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Hunt is already locked up for next season at 762,500. Because of his play, I actually think he should be considered the #6 of the team right now. And should be expected to make the team out of camp next season. He should get as many PP2 minutes as possible. I don't know if I want him manning the point or down in one of the circles for the one-timer, but his shot is such a huge plus the Avs really need to try and take advantage of it.

KMac is signed thru next season at 987,500. He's versatile. There are not a lot of people who can suit up as a winger one night and a defensemen the next and provide consistency. Yes, we would all like him to be better, I think he needs to work with a power skater and try to do something with his foot speed. He would be sooo much better if just a bit quicker. But the boys seem to love him and he's the perfect nacho guy when running a 21 man roster. You can give older guys a night off when healthy, and well let's face it...we will never be healthy again.

JMac is signed thru next season at 762,500. I like him a lot more as a forward than a defenseman. I also don't like him very much as a forward. He's depth. He's somewhat versatile. He's signed thru next season. I hope he has a great season, but I would prefer for him to be leading the Eagles to the Calder Cup. He just seems like such a meh player to me at the NHL level. Just absolutely nothing really going on when he's on the ice.

As for Englund, I'm not sure that I'd call him a #6. With the right partner, I suppose he'd be fine. I have absolutely no problems with him as a #7 or deeper. He's a guy I really haven't minded since his early season runs at our goalies. He plays mostly a net neutral game. He's safe, knows his limitations and does his best to stay within them. He allows us to tread water while the other guys rest up and I suppose that is about as much as you really should be hoping for from a depth guy. He's an UFA this summer. Not sure if he's in the future plans or not. I can't see a huge raise over 750,000 he's making this season personally but to be honest on a non-contending team, he probably can actually make the roster out of camp, get regular minutes and make more money. I wouldn't mind him back depending on cost, but I can see him getting a better offer and wouldn't blame him in the least.

Who was the other depth defensemen we signed last spring/summer? Aamodt? (sp?) Has anyone seen him play? I'm thinking he's either been injured or is a work in progress as we haven't seen him on the Avs yet with all these injuries.

Ya I think Englund and hunt have supplanted McDonald.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Watching the highlights last night probably doesn't do enough justice but it looked like damn near every Capitals chance/goal happened with MacDermid on the ice "defending."

How he lost Sheary in front of the net on their first goal blows my mind. The Avs can't get healthy fast enough so he takes a seat.
He was abysmal.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Of those three depth D, I prefer Hunt the most. He’d be my 7 when the D core is healthy.

MacDermid’s foot speed is a huge liability. I’m not an Englund guy either. He can’t do anything with the puck and reads the ice poorly defensively. Personally, I like MacDonald better than both those guys.

All these guys should be playing as little possible when the defence is healthy though. We’re going to see a massive difference when Byram/Manson send them to the press box.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Of those three depth D, I prefer Hunt the most. He’d be my 7 when the D core is healthy.

MacDermid’s foot speed is a huge liability. I’m not an Englund guy either. He can’t do anything with the puck and reads the ice poorly defensively. Personally, I like MacDonald better than both those guys.

All these guys should be playing as little possible when the defence is healthy though. We’re going to see a massive difference when Byram/Manson send them to the press box.
It'd be down to Hunt or Englund for me depending on what's needed more. I don't think Hunt adds much outside a rocket for a shot. And Englunds well. There lmao.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

The thing I like about Englund, besides staying within himself, is that his close quarter jostling around the net is underrated. Of their current active D, he's best at this. The problem is how do you capture this statistically? He won't score as much as Hunt but I have to wonder if this isn't more consistently impactful even if it's not evident statistically.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
The thing I like about Englund, besides staying within himself, is that his close quarter jostling around the net is underrated. Of their current active D, he's best at this. The problem is how do you capture this statistically? He won't score as much as Hunt but I have to wonder if this isn't more consistently impactful even if it's not evident statistically.
According to Natural Stat Trick, they are within one hundredth of a percentage point of each other for XG% (50.35% and 50.34%).

But Hunt has significantly more offensive zone starts than Englund, who has a disproportionately large amount of defensive zone starts.

They both are holding their own and both bring something different to the ice.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
According to Natural Stat Trick, they are within one hundredth of a percentage point of each other for XG% (50.35% and 50.34%).

But Hunt has significantly more offensive zone starts than Englund, who has a disproportionately large amount of defensive zone starts.

Watch, Girard is traded this summer and Englund-Hunt becomes our new cost effective 3rd pairing for next season.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

I’ll add this about Englund and Hunt. When the their players come back, Englund will still probably be best at jostling around the net and calming things down. But Hunt’s shot and skating will take a back seat to the returning players... for whatever that’s worth.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Watch, Girard is traded this summer and Englund-Hunt becomes our new cost effective 3rd pairing for next season.

You have to wonder if they might be playing above themselves somewhat (and maybe each might turn into a pumpkin down the road). But it’s just reality. The 11 million on a 3rd pairing is an ugly truth regarding the 2C situation.

I’m being a little hypocritical. I thought the idea of leveraging the Avs D as yielding an effect of an extra forward might work. But it’s problematic in that it requires everyone to be healthy. And, to be fair, it also would have been helpful if Girard could have stepped up more.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You have to wonder if they might be playing above themselves somewhat (and maybe each might turn into a pumpkin down the road). But it’s just reality. The 11 million on a 3rd pairing is an ugly truth regarding the 2C situation.

I’m being a little hypocritical. I thought the idea of leveraging the Avs D as yielding an effect of an extra forward might work. But it’s problematic in that it requires everyone to be healthy. And, to be fair, it also would have been helpful if Girard could have stepped up more.

What do you mean turned back into a pumpkin?

I feel like those guys very much are pumpkins right now.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
The moment we unshakled Girard from EJ he looks better. He needs more O zone time which hes not going to get beacuse we are blessed with toews and Makar. Thats why we are not able to give Girard the role he needs. Like he hasn't looked great this year but if he is put into a role that fits him he will be great. I don't think we can trade Girard unless Byram can stay healty for a season. Hunt and Englund are a serviceable bottom pair but barely. I like Hunt more on the role but neither has much upside.The issue is I don't think EJ will hang them up just yet so we will probably sign him to a team friendly deal to be a bottom pair guy. So j think one of Hunt or Englund is going to be off the team soon enough. All that to say unless we are getting back a great player I don't think Girard is expendable as you guys think.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
The moment we unshakled Girard from EJ he looks better. He needs more O zone time which hes not going to get beacuse we are blessed with toews and Makar. Thats why we are not able to give Girard the role he needs. Like he hasn't looked great this year but if he is put into a role that fits him he will be great. I don't think we can trade Girard unless Byram can stay healty for a season. Hunt and Englund are a serviceable bottom pair but barely. I like Hunt more on the role but neither has much upside.The issue is I don't think EJ will hang them up just yet so we will probably sign him to a team friendly deal to be a bottom pair guy. So j think one of Hunt or Englund is going to be off the team soon enough. All that to say unless we are getting back a great player I don't think Girard is expendable as you guys think.
This might be irrelevant now lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad