GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs. Washington Capitals [Not so Epic GDT...]

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Watching the highlights last night probably doesn't do enough justice but it looked like damn near every Capitals chance/goal happened with MacDermid on the ice "defending."

How he lost Sheary in front of the net on their first goal blows my mind. The Avs can't get healthy fast enough so he takes a seat.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Team turtled tonight in the 3rd but that's not on all on Bedar. He can't control how the players play. Also the Caps were hungry tonight. Not every game is going to be flawless.

You don't coach a team to a cup with a 16-4 record and .902 sv% with "historically bad adjustments" no matter how good your roster is. I've been on HF for a decade and quite frankly that's gotta be one of the shittiest takes I've ever seen on here. He's a great coach, maybe not the best, but he is up there.

I've never stated that Bednar is the worst coach. I have never called for his firing. I have stated, and remain resolute in the opinion that he is terrible at making in game adjustments. For crying out loud, even Ryker, the new Harry Carey of Hockey, stated it was a shortcoming in a recent broadcast. I believe it was Liam McHugh who identified it as a criticism during a national game.

There is also the matter of fundamentals. This is a 'buck stops here' issue. Why has every Bednar team been awful at face-offs? Clearing from the defensive corners? Playing with only 6 men on the ice? I'm all ears for someone to mention one technical aspect of coaching in which Bednar excels. Sure, he is a players' coach. The again, is he only a old players' coach? Name a youngster not named Makar who Bednar has brought to stardom, or even a starting position.

As for winning the cup proving coaching prowess, would not the same coaching responsibility be assigned to a team which wins the President's Cup yet bows out in the 2nd round in an embarrassing manner? If Bednar is a great coach, I am looking for specific reasons. Apparently the Jack Adams voters are looking as well. ( Cassidy won in his President's Cup year, btw.)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've never stated that Bednar is the worst coach. I have never called for his firing. I have stated, and remain resolute in the opinion that he is terrible at making in game adjustments. For crying out loud, even Ryker, the new Harry Carey of Hockey, stated it was a shortcoming in a recent broadcast. I believe it was Liam McHugh who identified it as a criticism during a national game.

There is also the matter of fundamentals. This is a 'buck stops here' issue. Why has every Bednar team been awful at face-offs? Clearing from the defensive corners? Playing with only 6 men on the ice? I'm all ears for someone to mention one technical aspect of coaching in which Bednar excels. Sure, he is a players' coach. The again, is he only a old players' coach? Name a youngster not named Makar who Bednar has brought to stardom, or even a starting position.

As for winning the cup proving coaching prowess, would not the same coaching responsibility be assigned to a team which wins the President's Cup yet bows out in the 2nd round in an embarrassing manner? If Bednar is a great coach, I am looking for specific reasons. Apparently the Jack Adams voters are looking as well. ( Cassidy won in his President's Cup year, btw.)
You can't be serious.

When the Avs are healthy, look at the system he has installed. It's damn near unstoppable. It's not his fault the Avs have been decimated with injuries and the guys getting called up simply can't play up to that system. So guess what? He adjusts. The Avs have been a significantly more defensive team this season and the proof is in the numbers. He has adjusted the style accordingly because he knows he can't use his preferred system with the lineup he's been given.

The Avs have given up the second fewest scoring chances and sixth fewest high danger chances against this season. They also have the second lowest shooting percentage at 5v5.

Add all that up and it's amazing to see this team is now 3rd in the Central and on a 6 game winning streak.

Then just look back to last season's playoffs. Nashville the Avs exerted their will, St. Louis too. Edmonton was on an absolute heater and the Avs without their starting goaltender continued to exert their will. Then you get to the finals and no team breaks a system down better than Tampa Bay. So what does he do? Adjusts the Avs style of play to clog it up and break the Lightning down just as much as they were breaking the Avs down. You could see it as the series went on, things got WAY more defensive. You think it's the players doing this on their own whim?

If you don't like Bednar, that's fine, but you'd be a fool if you don't realize this guy is a top-3 coach in the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Was nice to watch a game live and finish it for the first time in weeks. George was great... team was having some issues though. Kinda stole this win and was reminiscent of the beginning of the season. When teams are on winning streaks, they tend to win some games they should and the opposite is true on losing. Hopefully the Avs can correct the issues and keep the streak going. Nice being out of the Wild Card spot now too.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Was nice to watch a game live and finish it for the first time in weeks. George was great... team was having some issues though. Kinda stole this win and was reminiscent of the beginning of the season. When teams are on winning streaks, they tend to win some games they should and the opposite is true on losing. Hopefully the Avs can correct the issues and keep the streak going. Nice being out of the Wild Card spot now too.
Be honest how slow is Erik Johnson live lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

FTR the team is not terrible at 3-on-3 anymore. It's a valid criticism that it took THIS long for the Avs to finally understand how to operate in OT (and I've said for years he had a perfect player in EJ for the extra session who created odd-man breaks all the damned time but never used him), but the adjustments have been made.

I've been a Bednar fan since that first disastrous year, but I'll be the first to say I don't think he's an elite coach. I reserve that for the Trotzes and Quennevilles (and yes, the Coopers) of the NHL, and right now two of those guys aren't even in the league. He's still an excellent coach who built the perfect system for the kind of hockey and roster Sakic envisioned when he took the job. I doubt there was anyone who could have done better.

But let's talk about adjustments, because yeah, he's slow to make them in-game, but he sure as hell has had to make a TON of them between games this season because of injuries. I don't see how he doesn't get due credit for having a team near the end of January in a divisional playoff spot when he's pretty much been missing an entire defensive pairing the whole season, his captain and best two-way player, and his two best players for stretches.

No coach is good at every aspect of the job, not even Scotty Bowman.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Slow... but I meant live on TV, not tape delay :laugh:

I'm likely hitting up the game Saturday and then the game on Valentine's Day (thanks NHL for making that day super easy on me with my wife being a Tampa fan).
Holy hell, the finals must have been fun at your place. Where was my invite?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Really happy for Bednar. Not only for the first year but for things he was having to deal with as late as like last Nov/Dec when his job status was still being questioned. Best coach in Avs history by far. Yes, that includes Q.

I only got to see the first period and I thought they played pretty well other than when best player in the world Sheary was on the ice. Sounds like things flipped in the third but that's okay. Got the win.

Newhook gaining confidence is a great thing to see. Playing well and getting rewarded for it. His goal was against a AHL level goalie yesterday but still nice! I liked the burst of speed.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This x100, we've got Englund, Hunt, MacDermid and MacDonald all minor leaguers to 7th dmen at best.

Toews who has carried. And then EJ and G who just bumble around out there most nights.

The fact we're are 4-0 with this dcore is mind blowing.
Hunt is not a minor league defenceman, he absolutely deserves the 6th spot and Avs better hold onto him for next season. He looks great in Bednar's system.

Just watched the game. Kuemper is a terrible goalie. WTF was that on the Newhook goal? Looked like Roman Cechmanek
I said the same thing! It looked like he lost his balance at the worst time, but how do you do that as an NHL goaler?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really happy for Bednar. Not only for the first year but for things he was having to deal with as late as like last Nov/Dec when his job status was still being questioned. Best coach in Avs history by far. Yes, that includes Q.

I only got to see the first period and I thought they played pretty well other than when best player in the world Sheary was on the ice. Sounds like things flipped in the third but that's okay. Got the win.

Newhook gaining confidence is a great thing to see. Playing well and getting rewarded for it. His goal was against a AHL level goalie yesterday but still nice! I liked the burst of speed.
Buddy. I don't know what the f*** got into this guy last night but he straight up did whatever he wanted on the ice every shift. Looked like Paul Kariya circa late 90s.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hunt is not a minor league defenceman, he absolutely deserves the 6th spot and Avs better hold onto him for next season. He looks great in Bednar's system.

I said the same thing! It looked like he lost his balance at the worst time, but how do you do that as an NHL goaler?
Yah I have really liked Hunt since the call up. Hes the one guy whose taken full advantage of the injuries. Having him as a 7th is fine by me or a 6th if we load manage EJ. Hunt has 3 goals since the call up I think? That puts him what tied for 3rd in goals amongst our D?

Buddy. I don't know what the f*** got into this guy last night but he straight up did whatever he wanted on the ice every shift. Looked like Paul Kariya circa late 90s.
Guentzel, Rust, Sheary. The Pens find these gems the way the Avs used to.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Watching the highlights last night probably doesn't do enough justice but it looked like damn near every Capitals chance/goal happened with MacDermid on the ice "defending."

How he lost Sheary in front of the net on their first goal blows my mind. The Avs can't get healthy fast enough so he takes a seat.
He’s awful. He should never be used on D, he’s wayyy easier to hide at forward.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Mcdermaid is so damn slow that he can't keep enough momentum to make hard hits even with his massive frame.. but his skills on the blue line is oddly decent (for his role).

I still think Englund is more talented and should play more. Both mcdermaid and MacDonald can sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad