GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Saint Louis Blues. November 1st, 2023 @7:30PM MT. AI Filled Cyber Edition

Yes? No?

• Total voters

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
MacKinnon looks like a guy who misses Gabe Landeskog right now. He is putting WAY more effort defensively but he looks unsure on offense.

Though he had a couple of legit gripes with the refs last night for interference/holding penalties that went uncalled.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nuke and RyJo had a rough night
Nuke was whatever, but RyJo had some very good moments of skill in this game. Some good defensive plays as well.

Tufte being so low is weird.
No one was so low last night. -1 is a low score. Avs didn't have anyone close to that. Tufte has some defensively flaws to his game, but I thought he was good on offense and along the boards. He ain't the best shooter though because he didn't do anything with a few high danger chances. The one Girard set him up with was a sick sick play by spinning man.

Reactions: RECKLESS and pont

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Really liked everything about this game. Sitting Drouin and Tatar was overdue and it was great to see Tufte play well. Prosvetov looked solid. Colton and Wood looked good and contributed. Avs kept St. Louis at bay for most the game and ended strong.

Too bad Girard couldn't sink the open net. Would be great to get both Sammy and Bo going.
Bo get going? Dude... watch the games this season.

Byram is the best defender we've put on the ice so far this season. It's increasingly obvious every game that Byram has surpassed Toews as a NHL hockey player. Girard also having a rock solid start to his season.

D Toews is the guy we need to pick it up. His start to this season is a continuation of his poor play vs Seattle. It's a bit vexing given the contract we gave Toews.

Makar just needs to get healthy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Byram is the best defender we've put on the ice so far this season.
It's increasingly obvious every game that Byram has surpassed Toews as a NHL hockey player. Girard also having a rock solid start to his season.

D Toews is the guy we need to pick it up. His start to this season is a continuation of his poor play vs Seattle. It's a bit vexing given the contract we gave Toews.

Lmao

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Byram is the best defender we've put on the ice so far this season.

Not IMO. He's putting up some really good advanced stats but he's making a lot of mistakes too. Not too surprising for a kid who just hit 100 games. He'll get there.

Sorry but Byram has been the worst defenseman on the team this season.

Which defensemen do you think these are?

1698943217510.png
1698943237323.png

Byram and Makar, respectively

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Byram is the best defender we've put on the ice so far this season. It's increasingly obvious every game that Byram has surpassed Toews as a NHL hockey player. Girard also having a rock solid start to his season.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Sorry but Byram has been the worst defenseman on the team this season.
That’s a bold statement when Manson and JMFJ have played meaningful minutes.

Now, Byram being the biggest disappointment relative to expectations would be a fairer statement. He’s in an awkward spot where when he makes a mistake it’s quite a spectacular one that is memorable and most of his good play has been pretty quiet and forgettable from a guy we’re used to being flashier. So end up remembering the bad moments without noticing most of the good.

His good play reminds me of why I’ve like Olofsson - I barely notice him. That’s actually a pretty great quality out of a 4th liner. He’s just out there doing his job and not making mistakes that make me take notice.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Hard to say "the best defender" so far this season when almost everyone is not looking great. Maybe most decent one? Even then Byram had his fair share of bad plays. Manson and JJ being the worst ones. Makar looks like 1st season Makar where he keeps fumbling the puck, fail to clear or missing coverage. Toews has been fine but I see him trying to rush offensively much more often than before which sometimes create an odd man rush. Girard has been surprisingly good though not bad for our whipping boy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Bo certainly hasn’t been the best dman on the team this season… he also hasn’t been the worst. Bo started off pretty rough and its gotten better, but I still don’t think he’s been anywhere near as good as he’s been.

I think there’s a legit argument Girards been our best dman(relative to expectations)to start the year. He’s been quite good, but also its a bit of a problem if he’s the best of the group imo.

Reactions: lionsDen

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Bo certainly hasn’t been the best dman on the team this season… he also hasn’t been the worst. Bo started off pretty rough and its gotten better, but I still don’t think he’s been anywhere near as good as he’s been.

I think there’s a legit argument Girards been our best dman(relative to expectations)to start the year. He’s been quite good, but also it’s a bit of a problem if he’s the best of the group imo.
That’s about how I see it

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t really care who’s the best on the team over a nine game stretch (it’s not Byram).

What I’d like to see is the non established guys that still have potential continue to develop. Byram, Prosvetov,, Tufte… those guys getting better make the team better.

I still follow advanced stats/underlying numbers, but not as religiously as I used to.

JT Compher being touted as a Selke level defensive player by advanced stats guys just never clicked with me from what I saw on the ice. I also find the individual game sheets don’t take into account a lot of things that matter in a game. Puck pressure, matchups, plays in big moments, stuff like that isn’t registered.

I still enjoy seeing posts about the advanced stats on here, because I can test it against what I’ve seen.

I thought all our D looked good last night tbh. Makar dominated the 3rd. Byram made a big breakup in the slot that led to his goal. Girard looked very nimble, which is when he’s always at his best. JJ/Manson looked quite stable. Toews was solid. He hasn’t stood out os much as he usually does this year, but even when he’s quiet he’s doing a lot of valuable things.

Reactions: Azrael89

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
His good play reminds me of why I’ve like Olofsson - I barely notice him. That’s actually a pretty great quality out of a 4th liner. He’s just out there doing his job and not making mistakes that make me take notice.

I just want two things out of my 4th line for the most part; get pucks out and get pucks in deep. Olof does those things adequately well.

If you can add some jam and the odd scoring, all the better.

Reactions: GeoRox89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad