Post-Game Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs. Minnesota Wild l SERIES Discussion l Series Tied 3-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
From now on ALL Series talk goes in here, line combos, PP woes, how good/bad we played, etc. We obviously can mention Injuries in here as well but only as they pertain to the Series itself, anything else more in depth will be taken to the appropriate thread.

As mentioned in another thread there's too much similar discussions going on in multiple threads, so we're going to try and corral it all to here.

What this thread IS NOT about:

-Not an OT Thread
-Not a "Babe" Thread
-Not a thread to Flame other posters (Wild or otherwise)
-Not a thread to wish injury on other players (this should go without saying)

Huis Clos*

12 shots on goal? :biglaugh:

This series is over. Outside of one miracle finish it would be 3-1 Wild.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm with RockLobster. There was way too much to go through to keep up. I agree with all his opening post.

Thanks RockLobster, you babe.. Ooops. :sarcasm:

On topic, rough game last night. Excited to see how Roy takes advantage of last change tomorrow night. I'm still feeling good but man I wish we had Dutchy, Barrie and Malkin.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
12 shots on goal? :biglaugh:

This series is over. Outside of one miracle finish it would be 3-1 Wild.

Minnesota's success comes with their ability to match lines, which is an advantage they only get at home games.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Minnesota's success comes with their ability to match lines, which is an advantage they only get at home games.

HC does have a point.

If not for the Avs turning it up a bit in the 3rd of Game 1 and finishing the way they did it would be 3-1 and Saturday would be a very difficult game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs got out shot 78-34 over the 2 games in Minny, and only lost by a total of 2 goals. Varly will keep this team in every game, they just have to find a way to score 2 goals.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The Avs got out shot 78-34 over the 2 games in Minny, and only lost by a total of 2 goals. Varly will keep this team in every game, they just have to find a way to score 2 goals.

It's honestly a joke to imagine winning a series where you get outplayed this badly.

Varly is great but unless they play better they don't deserve to win.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's honestly a joke to imagine winning a series where you get outplayed this badly.

Varly is great but unless they play better they don't deserve to win.

I really don't care if the Avs deserve it or not, I just want them to win. :nod:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I really don't care if the Avs deserve it or not, I just want them to win. :nod:

I get my enjoyment out of watching us play well and win, moreso than watching Varly get utterly shelled for 60 only for us to squeak out a fluke goal. I'll be happy if we win regardless, but I'm definitely not going to enjoy watching if that's the way it goes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get my enjoyment out of watching us play well and win, moreso than watching Varly get utterly shelled for 60 only for us to squeak out a fluke goal. I'll be happy if we win regardless, but I'm definitely not going to enjoy watching if that's the way it goes.

No doubt it is frustrating, but playoff hockey can be like that. The Avs are banged up and missing their best forward and a solid #3C, get those players back on the ice and the games will look different (I think the game will be significantly different in game 5 anyway). You just have to wade through a little crap to find paradise. ;)

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
No doubt it is frustrating, but playoff hockey can be like that. The Avs are banged up and missing their best forward and a solid #3C, get those players back on the ice and the games will look different (I think the game will be significantly different in game 5 anyway). You just have to wade through a little crap to find paradise. ;)

To me, it's no surprise, these troubles. First year playoffs for a lot of these players, and they lose their focus in game 3, first road playoff game. Since then, it seems like they have lost perspective on who they are. I think returning home in game 5 is exactly what they need.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The negativity on this board is honestly ridiculous.

Everyone's been complaining about Cooke the last 2 days. That's exactly what Matt Cooke wanted and quite frankly the Avs had lost game 4 the days before it even began. That's what losing your focus does and that's why Matt Cooke (for better or worse) will remain employed in the NHL. Mentally, I can't believe the Avs were ever prepared for game 4 with the distractions.

That being said, this is still a series and I expect the Avs to re-engage and take the next 2 games.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

This series was always going to be about Avs treading water waiting for help to arrive. Without the forward depth, it's not a particularly good team.

Huis Clos*

Reminiscent of some of those Buffalo teams with Hasek in net.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on The Fan:

- Wild played better, showed more urgency. It's a learning process.
- teams are 1-15 on the road in the West. It's a different game on the road and the team has to learn to battle and unfortunately they need to experience it and have to bounce back
- he knows they're capable of doing better. Varly was outstanding, gave them chance to get back in these games. They barely touched the puck and only gave up 29 shots. 12 shots isn't impressive though. They love the open ice game but have to learn to play in tight spots. He felt guilty expecting it but they should have put more emphasis on it during the year. Best and worst thing to happen to the team was the highlight goals in game 2.
- would love to have seen EJ pump fake Granlund without a stick, but Granlund made a great play
- PP has to simplify. Wild out pressure down low, need to shoot from the top. Wild scored on their PP on a lucky bounce, Avs could use a bounce on the PP.
- Duchene won't play tomorrow, needs to skate with team first. He's doing really well, better than he thought he was doing. He's not ruling him out for series, says you never know. Mitchell has no chance, post concussion and they aren't sure if its from the Montreal game or what. Says he's not doing well.

Huis Clos*

This series was always going to be about Avs treading water waiting for help to arrive. Without the forward depth, it's not a particularly good team.

That and with Barrie out the team has zero top four defensemen outside Johnson and Hejda.

The bottom six forwards and bottom four defense pairings are getting eaten alive.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't expect a lot of people to remember this, but the Nordiques before they came to Colorado has a couple of 1st round disasters while they were young (this is kinda reminiscent of the Montreal/Quebec series in 93). Young teams have to learn how to win in the playoffs and getting shellacked is a part of that process. It sucks, but it is necessary. If they can muddle through a win in this series, they will be a much better team playoff time next year because of these struggles.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I want to see some changes next game although Roy does handle the matchups better in Denver so things may get back on track:
Lando - Staz - Hishon
ROR - MacK - McGinn
Malone - Talbot - PAP
McLeod - Cliche - Bords

It also pains me to realize how much I miss Johnny Malkin after how hard I've been on him this season.

Please, just please beat the Wild.

If they hit Suter a couple of times, he'll fold like a wet rag......He has for years.

Yeah pretty much would be my gameplan as well. We need to get that puck deep and have Bordeleau making their D nervous...there's not a lot of that going on right now.

This series really reminds of the 1st round match-up against Vancouver in 1996. The Avs were a young up-and-coming team with little playoffs experience but with home ice advantage and the canucks were a veteran team with the likes of Mogilny, Linden, Naslund and Tikkanen only 2 years removed from an appearance in the finals.

The canucks dominated us pretty badly at times in that series as well (although not close to as much as this @Minnesota) and that Avs team was further ahead of where we are at right now (the Krupp/Lefebvre-Clark trades had just happened 1 year earlier) but there are a lot of similarities between that series and this one. All games were extremely close and there were many momentum shifts as well.

The Avs are going to need to make this kind of trade at some point to improve the D. Imagine if the Avs had gotten their hands on Kulikov! He's not perfect and has his share of deficiencies but he's a minute muncher and would be insanely HUGE for us right now.

The Avs can't say that they've given it their all...not the last 2 games anyways. We'll see the character of this team on Saturday. If they play their best, I think we can take the momentum back in the series, if it's more of what we've seen from the past 5 days, it will be over on Monday for sure. I'm hoping we can get the win so that would guarantee at worse a 7th game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Roy on The Fan:

- Wild played better, showed more urgency. It's a learning process.
- teams are 1-15 on the road in the West. It's a different game on the road and the team has to learn to battle and unfortunately they need to experience it and have to bounce back
- he knows they're capable of doing better. Varly was outstanding, gave them chance to get back in these games. They barely touched the puck and only gave up 29 shots. 12 shots isn't impressive though. They love the open ice game but have to learn to play in tight spots. He felt guilty expecting it but they should have put more emphasis on it during the year. Best and worst thing to happen to the team was the highlight goals in game 2.
- would love to have seen EJ pump fake Granlund without a stick, but Granlund made a great play
- PP has to simplify. Wild out pressure down low, need to shoot from the top. Wild scored on their PP on a lucky bounce, Avs could use a bounce on the PP.
- Duchene won't play tomorrow, needs to skate with team first. He's doing really well, better than he thought he was doing. He's not ruling him out for series, says you never know. Mitchell has no chance, post concussion and they aren't sure if its from the Montreal game or what. Says he's not doing well.

That Mitchell news is awful. I know he gets hated on around here but having our 3rd line centre might make a huge difference for us. Secondary scoring just hasn't been there and Malkin would allow us to spread some players out and would allow the 3rd line to have the puck a little more. I really wish Malkin the best and hope he's 100% in October.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't expect a lot of people to remember this, but the Nordiques before they came to Colorado has a couple of 1st round disasters while they were young (this is kinda reminiscent of the Montreal/Quebec series in 93). Young teams have to learn how to win in the playoffs and getting shellacked is a part of that process. It sucks, but it is necessary. If they can muddle through a win in this series, they will be a much better team playoff time next year because of these struggles.

Hextall was beyond brutal and Page took his frustrations out on Sundin and then completely lost the room. As far as I can remember, the gameplay was pretty even that series...Hextall was bad though.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Landy in game 4 played 22 mins, had no shots, 1 hit and 1 penalty. If Avs have any hope to win this series, they need much more from him specifically. Don't tell me "yeah but everyone needs to be better!" He's the leader and captain of this team. Passion is contagious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia