Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs Calgary Flames (P1 v WC2)

Who wins

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn't be surprised to hear some of those people remain critical of the team for not actively trying to pick twice in the top ten

They could win the Cup this year and there will be people who will slag management for not tanking it just a little while longer. Thankfully I'm fairly certain none of them post here though.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
When did they implement that rule about moving down in the draft based on playoff performance? Seems like a silly rule to me, but of course I never said so before because the potential of it affecting the Avs didn't manifest until now...

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
When did they implement that rule about moving down in the draft based on playoff performance? Seems like a silly rule to me, but of course I never said so before because the potential of it affecting the Avs didn't manifest until now...
Been in play for a long time

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I honestly believed both the Jackets and Avalanche were going to be so worn out scrambling to get into the playoffs they’d be easy pickings. Could not be more pleased about being wrong.

I’m thrilled and completely shocked. They dominated from Game 2 on. So much fun to watch.
They dominated game 1. They were unlucky to lose that game.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Why make the playoffs just to get bounced in the first round? Tank for better picks. Amirite?
This applies to last year too. I have zero doubts that the playoff experience gained in last year's series against Nashville was key to our winning the series this year. Baby steps. I don't believe that tanking for Dahlin would have left us in a better spot right now than squeaking into the playoffs to get bounced by the top seed. Holes in the roster aside, that playoff experience and winning culture is big.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
They could win the Cup this year and there will be people who will slag management for not tanking it just a little while longer. Thankfully I'm fairly certain none of them post here though.

Well yeah man. It’s not worth it to maybe win the Cup this year when tanking would guarantee at least 5 chances at maybe winning the cup in the next 10 years!

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Who would choose to tank over winning the cup? Lol

Reactions: avsfan09

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
This applies to last year too. I have zero doubts that the playoff experience gained in last year's series against Nashville was key to our winning the series this year. Baby steps. I don't believe that tanking for Dahlin would have left us in a better spot right now than squeaking into the playoffs to get bounced by the top seed. Holes in the roster aside, that playoff experience and winning culture is big.

PO experience makes you focused and hungry.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Who would choose to tank over winning the cup? Lol

I mean, they're obviously not the majority, but I do believe there's a decent-sized contingent in every fanbase that thinks EA NHL is applicable to real life, and that you can just go from tanking to contender, there's no real progression. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's kinda what Buffalo was going for when they ran aground on purpose then tried to build back up in a hurry. So by that rationale, you should tank as long as possible, acquire as many top-end players as you can, then and only then do you start hitting it. I might be heading into straw man territory here though so I don't want to make too fine a point on this.

Reactions: Avs

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I'm still just a tad bitter the Avs had to rely on a concussed #2 goalie and minor-league #3 goalie for that series. f*** Tomas Jurco all the way back to Europe for that shit he pulled late last season on Varly. I think even the Hawks were annoyed with him for doing that. I think the Avs stood a good chance to take that series all the way too the limit had they still had Varly, given how shaky Rinne was in that year's playoffs.

That said, I still think it was awesome that, at least for one game, the throw-in/salary dump portion of the Duchene deal won a playoff game in impressive fashion for the Avs.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I mean, they're obviously not the majority, but I do believe there's a decent-sized contingent in every fanbase that thinks EA NHL is applicable to real life, and that you can just go from tanking to contender, there's no real progression. Hell, I'm pretty sure that's kinda what Buffalo was going for when they ran aground on purpose then tried to build back up in a hurry. So by that rationale, you should tank as long as possible, acquire as many top-end players as you can, then and only then do you start hitting it. I might be heading into straw man territory here though so I don't want to make too fine a point on this.
I definitely wanted us to tank before we made our insane run, but that's only because we had lost 18/23 games and were hopeless. Once we started to climb back up, obviously playoffs were the goal.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

I think it's even more important to become a winning regular season team like Nashville, San Jose, Winnipeg, etc... These teams make the playoffs solidly every year. That would give the locker room a lot of confidence, winning culture and obviously better matchups. And to become a winning regular season team the Avs need to add this offseason.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's even more important to become a winning regular season team like Nashville, San Jose, Winnipeg, etc... These teams make the playoffs solidly every year. That would give the locker room a lot of confidence, winning culture and obviously better matchups. And to become a winning regular season team the Avs need to add this offseason.
Oh for sure, there's stils more mountain to climb with this roster construction. All I'm saying is that more high picks isn't the answer and playoff hockey is what makes a true contender, not shiny talent in your prospect pool.

Reactions: Avs

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I definitely wanted us to tank before we made our insane run, but that's only because we had lost 18/23 games and were hopeless. Once we started to climb back up, obviously playoffs were the goal.

8-0-2 in in our last ten games of the season and with missing a few key players was an amazing run for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad