Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs Calgary Flames (P1 v WC2)

Who wins

• Total voters

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
There's a stark contrast happening in net this season and it's fascinating to watch. At one end of the rink you have Mike Smith who is doing what Flames fans wanted from Brian Elliott the last time they were in the playoffs, make a save! He's doing whatever he can to make the save resulting in the over dramatics we're seeing on a consistent basis. In a way it's reminiscent of Tim Thomas during the Bruins Cup run. The goalie makes the save and the team clears the rebound. What his team is lacking is the offensive punch the Bruins had that year.

Grubauer is impacting the game not only through saves but through his rebound control. He's not forcing the Avs to consistently be looking to gather up rebounds. The Flames offense has it tough because they are faced with the issue of taking the shot and that ending their offensive time. They are essentially left with the choice of holding onto the puck hoping for the perfect shot or taking the shot and knowing there's a high chance of their offensive push being ended right there. It's beautiful to watch someone so calm rarely scrambling and giving themselves the best chance to make the next save. That Compher rebound goal doesn't happen on Grubauer because he wouldn't be doing a barrel roll giving up the top part of the net.
But how would Smith get any attention if he's not rolling around on his back and/or playing air guitar with his glove hand and/or knocking his helmet off and shaking his shaggy mane all over the place?

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
But how would Smith get any attention if he's not rolling around on his back and/or playing air guitar with his glove hand and/or knocking his helmet off and shaking his shaggy mane all over the place?

Dont forget knocking the net off because the puck went by him in ot

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This series was all about confidence and momentum.

The minute MacKinnon scored that OT goal in game 2, I’ve never seen such a turnaround from a team in a long time. Just complete domination from the Avs since their first win. Had Calgary won that OT game they would’ve had the confidence that they could win this series with two wins under their belts. But, they didn’t. Grubauer stood on his head and MacKinnon grabbed his first point of the series. He never looked back. 8 points in 4 games is absolutely ridiculous.

You guys were just simply the better team. I HATE resting our players, just hate it. And, while we were doing that you guys were already having a playoff-like mentality, and it really showed.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I was wrong about this series. I thought the Avs would have a tough time unless Smith didn't play well. He ended up being the Flames best player and the Avs had an easy series.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I was concerned in the first couple periods tonight cos we weren't doing a good job of trapping the neutral zone and we for sure need to prevent easy zone entries but the goaltending stood up and the Flames then started getting undisciplined. I do feel bad for them in terms of that goal which imo should've counted cos I'm lenient on goaltender interference and that was partly on EJ but they're a super-dirty team so I'm not gonna feel bad either.

The 1st line was always gonna show up, it's really the team effort on D that won us this series imo. That plus just playing harder and outplaying the Flames at ES for most of it (including the first half of game 1 imo). Anyways they're gonna find it really tough if they have to play Vegas but I just wanted to see this team win a round this year and anything else is gravy so I don't care.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I'm just still astonished. I felt this series was gonna be mostly Flames with us able to take a couple games, but it was the exact opposite. Mack was dominant, Lando was doing everything but scoring all series, Rants got going by game 3 and was a huge part of it. Compher, Nieto, Wilson, Calvert were all huge for us. Not a single D-man was bad in the series (even EJ picked it up) and Grub was just amazing.

I honestly feel bad for Smith, he stood on his head up until tonight and couldn't get any help in front of him.

The rest should be good for the guys and hopefully we can have G back for round 2 fully healthy because he was our best D until he went down. But they better be ready because Vegas/SJ are a whole other animal compared to what they faced in this series. But I won't be surprised if they win another series either if they can keep this up.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The series was a preview of things to come. Once the youngsters develop and the #4 pick joins the team the Avs will steamroll opponents.

Entering another golden era for the franchise thanks to Sakic
And this is where I disagree. I don't think this is a preview, I think this is already the beginning of the movie. Avs probably won't win the Cup this year but it's not completely silly to think they actually might do it anymore. They have the top forwards and they have good depth. Depth isn't perfect but it's not bad at all. They have one of the better Ds in the league now and Grubauer is rock solid these days. The next round will be a big test but if Bednar continues to coach the way he did against the Flames many things are possible.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Congrats, Avs fans. I'm a huge Grubi fan from his time in Washington so I'll be pulling for him and for you guys. Without him the Caps don't win the Cup last year, and I had a few drinks with him at Cafe Milano during the famous Cup celebrations in Georgetown. Great dude and glad to see he's doing so well for you guys after a rough start.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
And this is where I disagree. I don't think this is a preview, I think this is already the beginning of the movie. Avs probably won't win the Cup this year but it's not completely silly to think they actually might do it anymore. They have the top forwards and they have good depth. Depth isn't perfect but it's not bad at all. They have one of the better Ds in the league now and Grubauer is rock solid these days. The next round will be a big test but if Bednar continues to coach the way he did against the Flames many things are possible.
Sure the Avs are already solid and can win more rounds. However, this is not the peak Avalanche team under Sakic. The Avs are going to improve and wreck teams.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010

I agree. This team dominated at least 3 of 5 games against the #1 seed in the west. Have the Flames played particularly well? Probably not, but obviously the Avs made it pretty tough for them.

What makes me the most optimistic is that our top guys (MacKinnon and Rantanen) came up big in huge moments and gave us late (OT) goals in games we deserved to win.

This team played with a good structure, using every player to their best. Even guys like Nemeth and Cole looked rock solid, Calvert, Nieto, pretty much everybody on the team brought something to the table.

Let's see where the momentum of the last 15-20 games can carry us. I am positive this team has everything it takes to be a tough challenge for any team in the play offs right now. Would be great to at least get a split in the first couple road games in round 2 and see where we can get from there!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
tumblr_pqarfmuYlZ1tbnw1ro3_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad