Colorado Avalanche Power Outage

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
A little weird to put this article up after the Avs have won 4 out of the last 5 games and are finally coming into their own without Varly playing Godlike every night...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To be fair to the author of the article, it was probably written before last night's game. If the Avs lose last night, it has a bit more meaning.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
A little weird to put this article up after the Avs have won 4 out of the last 5 games and are finally coming into their own without Varly playing Godlike every night...

Those four teams are now in NHL #19, #22, #24 and #27. Avalanche lost to #21 in between. If the idea is to avoid being dead last, sure, great work. If the idea is to get to playoffs, then you need wins against top-8 teams in West. The last games against them: Loss to Canucks, loss to Ducks, loss to Blues, loss to Jets and that's it for the last month.

Lets see what are the results now when opponents the next eight games are CHI-DAL-MTL-CGY-WPG-NSH-WPG-STL. Only one of them is against East and only one of them is against non-playoff team (as of today), so six games to show how good they actually are when compared to Western playoff teams.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Those four teams are now in NHL #19, #22, #24 and #27. Avalanche lost to #21 in between. If the idea is to avoid being dead last, sure, great work. If the idea is to get to playoffs, then you need wins against top-8 teams in West. The last games against them: Loss to Canucks, loss to Ducks, loss to Blues, loss to Jets and that's it for the last month.
Would you prefer it if they lost those games? You can only play whose on your schedule. If the Avs want to make the playoffs, they have to beat the teams out of the playoffs too. Right now, this team just needs wins.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, weird timing for this article. The Avs have looked good the past 5 games. They finally appear to have some chemistry. Berra's play has certainly been a bit troubling, but Pickard has been a very pleasant surprise. MacKinnon and Landeskog are trending up. All in all it's definitely a net positive regardless of who we've been playing. Early we could have get blown out by anybody.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
this ^

Guys , give a chance to CS , he's one of my good friend .:)

It's not my article, so I don't take it too personally. I understand the logic behind an article of this nature being published after a win but as mentioned already, it was written before the game last night. Sorry for the confusion.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think the defensive system is (was?) a bigger reason for Avs struggles than wingers not producing, even though all top six forwards should have contributed more offensively.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Lets see what are the results now when opponents the next eight games are CHI-DAL-MTL-CGY-WPG-NSH-WPG-STL. Only one of them is against East and only one of them is against non-playoff team (as of today), so six games to show how good they actually are when compared to Western playoff teams.

What's your point?

Are we supposed to lose against the lower teams because they are lower? Do wins only matter if you face a Top 16 team in the league? I guess every time the Avs face a bad team we should lose on purpose because according to you those games mean nothing.

A win is a win, end of story. We wont beat the Top teams in the league if we cant even beat the lower ranked teams.

I find it funny how theres a few "fans" of this team, who only ever post around here when the team is facing adversity, or struggling. And all that's ever posted is negative comments about how the sky is falling, we suck, fire Roy, fire Sakic, fire Bernie the mascot, etc.

Fact of the matter is this team has now won 4 of its last 5 and could have easily been 5/5 if it weren't for a superstar play from a superstar player. All of this while allowing limited shots on goal( 141 over 5 games, average of 28 Shots per game), and outplaying the opposition in each game.

The Avs last year struggled to do that even against the lower end teams. Were playing a better posession game and overall game then we did last year right now, and the results are slowly starting to show. Now by no means is it time to start penciling in the cup celebrations to our schedules, but things certainly look like they're improving.

Especially once Varly comes back, and we have reliable goaltending as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well with this Chicago-game you saw clearly what I meant: As soon as there is an opponent, result is this.

See what I mean.

Within minutes of the game being over, here you are again.

Its also obvious you didn't watch the game either. That was arguably the best game the Avs have played all season.

You cant win when you're playing against the Refs.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
See what I mean.

Within minutes of the game being over, here you are again.

Its also obvious you didn't watch the game either. That was arguably the best game the Avs have played all season.

You cant win when you're playing against the Refs.

What you meant with what? And yes, I did watch some of the game.

edit. Oh and 45 shots against, outshot by 16 => The best game of the season?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
10 injuries, one to our best defender, one to our great goalie, another to a decent defender in Stuart, and lastly one to a good third line guy in Mitchell. This is a Hawks team that ran over a healthy Oilers team. We have how many Monsters up and only lose by a hair with some help from the refs? This is a team finally showing some resilience and fight. They didn't fold up at all when they easily could have.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What you meant with what? And yes, I did watch some of the game.

edit. Oh and 45 shots against, outshot by 16 => The best game of the season?

And this post makes it incredibly obvious you didn't watch very much of the game.

Let me break it down. Chicago had 6 PP's, the Avs had 2(And should have had at least 6 as well).

Chicago scored 2 PPG's, the Avs scored 0.

So, 5 on 5 hockey, the Avs outscored Chicago 2-1. Not only that, but Chicago had 14(!) SOG on those 6 PP's, the Avs had 2 SOG.

5 on 5 the SOG were 31-27 in favor of the Hawks. The only thing that separated these two teams by any significant amount tonight, was the Hawks 6 PP's vs. the Avs 2 PP's. If you actually watched the game you would know that.

The Avs played better tonight then they did against PHX and CAR for sure. They lost only because of very poor officiating. When a season veteran and classy guy like Tanguay is calling out the officiating, you know it was bad.

member 116861

What were the scoring chances in the end? Altitude posted a stat that said it was 18-16 in favour of Chicago and that was sometime during the 3rd period.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dunno, but I'd venture to guess they were pretty close. I got the SOG stats from the Shot Summary.

It was definitely a pretty even game. The big difference was Refs(6 PP's vs. 2 PP's), and the AHL Dman the Avs were forced to play because of injuries.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was definitely a pretty even game. The big difference was Refs(6 PP's vs. 2 PP's), and the AHL Dman the Avs were forced to play because of injuries.

The AHL d-man looked decent enough to me, surprisingly so. It was the guy that Kane made look like a toboggan to set up the GWG who didn't look all that great.

I'm not saying Stollery was amazing by any means but he was decent enough for a fill-in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad