Line Combos: Colorado Avalanche/Patrick Roy - System Analysis

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Are we really doing the 1-3-1 anymore?

I see them line up with it every game I watch... :dunno:

Hench brings up a good point about the man-man coverage. Which then tried to evolve into zone defense but failed miserably. Now it is mostly 1-3-1 through the neutral zone, everyone collapses in the defensive zone and the guy closest to the puck chases the puck carrier, rotating positions in some type of pseudo man-man and zone defense.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I see them line up with it every game I watch... :dunno:

Hench brings up a good point about the man-man coverage. Which then tried to evolve into zone defense but failed miserably. Now it is mostly 1-3-1 through the neutral zone, everyone collapses in the defensive zone and the guy closest to the puck chases the puck carrier, rotating positions in some type of pseudo man-man and zone defense.

Leaving the point wide open for him to make a 2 second decision whether to shoot or set up a play.

Edit: I think Roy has a brilliant mind however, a brilliant narrow mind.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Narrow minded coaches are absolutely willing to change everything multiple times a season. The science checks out on that one.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Narrow minded coaches are absolutely willing to change everything multiple times a season. The science checks out on that one.

I think sometimes he lets things drag on for too long. Just a personal opinion. Not sure why a simple "why do you think he narrow minded? He's done this *evidence he has an open mind* would not suffice. And I'd rebuttal. You know, a conversation.

I love Roy, he's developed players very well and he's done great things for this hockey club. I just think some aspects are silly. Why do our defenders constantly go for a two line pass when there is a player much closer for the easy pass. The flick is another example that should simply be eliminated. Never have I seen a team do it as much as we do. I mentioned it in my post above but how he leaves the point completely open due to forwards collapsing is far too risky as well. Again just an opinion.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No, haven't done it for a while. We have also been more aggressive in the neutral zone forechecking.

They haven't abandoned it, but the puck side winger is being far more aggressive and collapsing on the puck. It is looking more like a hybrid 1-3-1/2-2-1 right now. I think Roy will go back to being more passive in the neutral zone here soon.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Roy's strength as a coach comes from his ability to manage most of his players well. His passion to win also rubs off on the guys in the locker room. He's as much of a player's coach as you're gonna see in the NHL.

As far as systems and tactics, he almost always gets out-coached. He relies way too much on the individual skill our top draft picks possess, rather than creating an effective offensive plan based on his opponents, or harnessing some of his forwards' strengths.

It's very frustrating to watch Mack and Dutchy fly into the offensive zone at top speed only to lose the puck or try to make a pass through 2-4 back-checkers. Nobody goes to the net consistently unless it's Skille or McLeod. Nobody is patient with the puck except Soda. They force passes way too often. There are just so many things wrong with the way our forwards play in the offensive zone and that falls on the coach.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
From my analysis this system relies heavily on players getting tired and trapping themselves in the corner.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Is there any strategy once they enter the o-zone? i can't figure it out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't agree with everything Roy does. In fact I disagree with a lot. In saying that though, Roy has coached this time into a lot of wins this year. Games where if Patty didn't adjust and make the changes he did we would have lost the game.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Add me to the list of those who would be interested in reading any write-up hench wants to do.

I'm pretty weak when it comes to seeing and understanding systems so I always love systems write ups.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't agree with everything Roy does. In fact I disagree with a lot. In saying that though, Roy has coached this time into a lot of wins this year. Games where if Patty didn't adjust and make the changes he did we would have lost the game.

I'm with you on this. Roy isn't perfect and there are somethings that I wish he would do differently, but he is a very big part of this team being back in contention for a playoff spot. There are games where he made adjustments that won the game. There are games where he comes up with a great gameplan that shift the balance (his gameplan against Kane during that game where the Avs broke the streak was phenomenal).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Very good at man management and in-game adjustments. Tactically, not a big fan so far with the type of hockey he wants his teams to play. It doesn't take a genius to identify that our style of getting badly outshot every night and blocking a million shots is a recipe for long-term failure. He's good at getting something out of his players, reads the flow of a game well, and knows how to adjust, but overall I just hate the way we play hockey.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
You want to see a drastic improvement in this team's possession numbers and overall shot totals? Fix the breakout. There is no reason for the forwards to be out near the redline when Holden is still behind the net with the puck.

100ft passes don't work consistently. If team's are going to forecheck you hard, provide the passer with a 2nd, or 3rd, option. Skate it out if you have to, just stop flipping the puck to centre. EJ very rarely used to do this, and now he does it 3 times a game at least.

It's a turnover, no matter how you slice it.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
You want to see a drastic improvement in this team's possession numbers and overall shot totals? Fix the breakout. There is no reason for the forwards to be out near the redline when Holden is still behind the net with the puck.

100ft passes don't work consistently. If team's are going to forecheck you hard, provide the passer with a 2nd, or 3rd, option. Skate it out if you have to, just stop flipping the puck to centre. EJ very rarely used to do this, and now he does it 3 times a game at least.

It's a turnover, no matter how you slice it.

Oh, I like you. I spent far too much time dissecting the problems with our breakout in a lengthy posts back in October/November. Not much has changed. Frustrating beyond belief.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The classis Barrie/EJ flick through the middle is the most frustrating thing this team does. Especially when most of the time there are simple 8-12 foot passes available with those players moving north. It hurts to watch that but I don't think that has anything to do with Roy's strategy. It's Brutes and EJ trying to be creative.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Very good at man management and in-game adjustments. Tactically, not a big fan so far with the type of hockey he wants his teams to play. It doesn't take a genius to identify that our style of getting badly outshot every night and blocking a million shots is a recipe for long-term failure. He's good at getting something out of his players, reads the flow of a game well, and knows how to adjust, but overall I just hate the way we play hockey.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that this is how Patrick wants them to play.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
You seem to be operating under the assumption that this is how Patrick wants them to play.

He's been the coach of this team for 3 years. This is either the style the coach desires or we have the dumbest set of players in the league, since they all play nothing like the system they are taught. This isn't something new. They've had 3 years to get the system down. So, is this the system, are our players slow, or are our coaches incapable of installing and teaching their players? Which is it?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
To an extent he doesn't have the players yet to play the way he wants to play.

The only players that the Roykic regime didn't bring in are Duchene, Landeskog, Mitchell, McLeod, Johnson, Barrie, and Varlamov. Are those players the problem and can't play his style? Everybody else was chosen by him and Joe. Sorry, I'm not buying the personnel excuse.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They haven't had 3 years to get the system down... the system has change ~9-10 times over the past 3 years. A serious argument can be made that Roy's flexibility in systems are part of the shot and breakout issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad