Line Combos: Colorado Avalanche/Patrick Roy - System Analysis

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could provide a system analysis of the way the Colorado Avalanche play, at least at even-strength, to the best of their ability.

I'm looking for how they forecheck, set-up in the offensive zone, play in the neutral zone (i.e. enter the zone and prevent zone entries), in-zone defence and break-out.

Are there any systems guys/girls here who can provide a strong write-up??

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This would be a good thread for Henchy to provide the in-depth analysis that I've received from him in the past.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No offense if OP's intentions are sincere, but I hate this thread already.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It has been discussed here in the past over the years (I think I have more than a few write ups out there), but Roy is one of the more system flexible coaches in the NHL. From my failing memory we have used at least 3 or 4 different neutral zone systems this season, 3 different breakout setups, 3 different defensive zone coverages, and 2 different PK setups just this season. Going over the past 3 seasons... you can probably double or triple those numbers. The most consistent thing the Avs do is zone entry... other than they vary and tweak a lot of things.

The Avs are the polar opposite of Winnipeg when it comes to philosophy... Winnipeg wants to stay very strict and rigid in their system beating teams with their structure, the Avs want to be flexible and try to use their skill and variability to exploit weaknesses. Both philosophies have their pros and cons.

I have a deeper opinion on all of this, but I'd probably cause a bunch of issues for the mods by going into it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It has been discussed here in the past over the years (I think I have more than a few write ups out there), but Roy is one of the more system flexible coaches in the NHL. From my failing memory we have used at least 3 or 4 different neutral zone systems this season, 3 different breakout setups, 3 different defensive zone coverages, and 2 different PK setups just this season. Going over the past 3 seasons... you can probably double or triple those numbers. The most consistent thing the Avs do is zone entry... other than they vary and tweak a lot of things.

The Avs are the polar opposite of Winnipeg when it comes to philosophy... Winnipeg wants to stay very strict and rigid in their system beating teams with their structure, the Avs want to be flexible and try to use their skill and variability to exploit weaknesses. Both philosophies have their pros and cons.

I have a deeper opinion on all of this, but I'd probably cause a bunch of issues for the mods by going into it.

I wanna read this. Do it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs system is pretty simple, rely on goaltending then score goals anyway possible, defense is optional

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You people just want to watch the world burn... :laugh:

I say just do it (if you have the time).

If it gets out of hand, TV or I will shut the thread down and handle other things as she and I see fit.

If anything, having someone who's intelligent about that stuff (as I believe you are, given the conversations you and I have had) might actually dispel some of the patently incorrect information that floats around these boards.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I will give him credit for being flexible, as henchman said. He doesn't mind going from one thing that doesn't work to another that doesn't work.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I say just do it (if you have the time).

If it gets out of hand, TV or I will shut the thread down and handle other things as she and I see fit.

If anything, having someone who's intelligent about that stuff (as I believe you are, given the conversations you and I have had) might actually dispel some of the patently incorrect information that floats around these boards.

Pssh, this board have incorrect notions?

Actually...

:popcorn:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
We're currently running a 1-3-1 defensive structure that collapses into the slot. On the PK it's more of a spread out box where 3 players collapse down and one stays out high.

That's from a high level, if you wanted to get overly technical and try to analyze the "system" you'd be hard pressed to determine exactly what the Avs do. I'm sure there's a prevailing pattern, since a winger does tend to pressure the puck carrier and rotate out with the other winger as it gets into the neutral zone.... but it's not very consistent.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We're currently running a 1-3-1 defensive structure that collapses into the slot. On the PK it's more of a spread out box where 3 players collapse down and one stays out high.

That's from a high level, if you wanted to get overly technical and try to analyze the "system" you'd be hard pressed to determine exactly what the Avs do. I'm sure there's a prevailing pattern, since a winger does tend to pressure the puck carrier and rotate out with the other winger as it gets into the neutral zone.... but it's not very consistent.

Seems to me no matter what the structure is they always collapses. Feel like Grapes yelling at the TV to cover the point men.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They have typically collapsed when they are playing variations of zone systems... when they have used man-to-man, it has typically been very high pressure which caused issues with the poor skaters throughout the lineup. I don't believe that Roy ideally wants to be so passive defensively. Having poor skaters on defense and a number of lines causes patchwork solutions.

I might at some point (no promises) type up a deeper write up on my opinion here, but I'm not going to do it now. I'd rather there be a discussion on the topic than a bunch of 'you're wrong' or 'that's dumb' sort of thoughts that would be sparked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad