News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I've never cared for Boomer as a commentator. He was atrocious on MNF back in the day. And him talking smack to Dan Marino when they sat next to one another on the CBS soundstage was ridiculous.

As for Phil Simms, I'll never forgive him for becoming Football Jesus in that f***ing Super Bowl.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

I've never cared for Boomer as a commentator. He was atrocious on MNF back in the day. And him talking smack to Dan Marino when they sat next to one another on the CBS soundstage was ridiculous.

As for Phil Simms, I'll never forgive him for becoming Football Jesus in that f***ing Super Bowl.

Fox needs to do something soon. I love TB, but he's getting old and makes a lot of mistakes now. Jimmy as well. Sad to watch, but it's like watching your grandpa age. One day, everything is fine, and the next you realize that he's not as sharp as he used to be, and it's obvious.

Mike is fine, but Gronk is not good, IMO, and comes across as unprepared, and as a giant dork.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fox needs to do something soon. I love TB, but he's getting old and makes a lot of mistakes now. Jimmy as well. Sad to watch, but it's like watching your grandpa age. One day, everything is fine, and the next you realize that he's not as sharp as he used to be, and it's obvious.

Mike is fine, but Gronk is not good, IMO, and comes across as unprepared, and as a giant dork.

With a lot of these former players turned broadcaster, you can kinda tell who puts in the work, and who doesn't. I'm pretty confident J.J. Watt will do exactly that. I would not be surprised if Gronk does not. Tony Romo initially did but is kinda coasting now and it shows.

Mind you, I have no idea if Terry Bradshaw EVER put in the work :laugh: but he mostly got away with it. I sure hope his health is holding up.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I wish there were some better options for Avs podcasts. I may be slightly picky in that I grow tired of certain voices rather quickly, but DNVR and Locked on Avalanche are tough to listen to for me for different reasons. Hockey Mountain High was my favorite podcasts, but when JJ Jerez jumped to Guerilla Sports it seems to have been a big blow as Aarif doesn't seem very motivated to release solo pods. I'm not as high on the Guerilla Sports podcasts, but they are ok. The new Avalanche Ink podcast by The Denver Post has been decent but they haven't released a new episode in a month.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I wish there were some better options for Avs podcasts. I may be slightly picky in that I grow tired of certain voices rather quickly, but DNVR and Locked on Avalanche are tough to listen to for me for different reasons. Hockey Mountain High was my favorite podcasts, but when JJ Jerez jumped to Guerilla Sports it seems to have been a big blow as Aarif doesn't seem very motivated to release solo pods. I'm not as high on the Guerilla Sports podcasts, but they are ok. The new Avalanche Ink podcast by The Denver Post has been decent but they haven't released a new episode in a month.
Have you heard of the Tell It Avs It Is Podcast?

:sarcasm:

AvBuff

May 1, 2019

I listen to all of the Avs podcasts from time to time. All have their pluses and minuses.

But holy hell, Eric Lacroix is brutal on DNVR - just endless run-on sentences punctuated with "you know" and "know what I mean" every 10 seconds. He's got good information, but it's a really rough listen.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I listen to all of the Avs podcasts from time to time. All have their pluses and minuses.

But holy hell, Eric Lacroix is brutal on DNVR - just endless run-on sentences punctuated with "you know" and "know what I mean" every 10 seconds. He's got good information, but it's a really rough listen.

Yeah I agree. Initially I figured it was a good get for them and a welcome addition to the pod but that wore off fast... once you notice how rambling and semi-incoherent his style is you can't unhear it.

Reactions: AvBuff

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Yeah I agree. Initially I figured it was a good get for them and a welcome addition to the pod but that wore off fast... once you notice how rambling and semi-incoherent his style is you can't unhear it.

In a vacuum, EL's a really good get. Ex-player, scout, Avs management insider. All good - until he starts to talk. Guy really needs a public speaking tutor.

Frankly, Meghan is their best asset.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
In a vacuum, EL's a really good get. Ex-player, scout, Avs management insider. All good - until he starts to talk. Guy really needs a public speaking tutor.

Frankly, Meghan is their best asset.

Agreed about Meghan. She is under utilized on the pod, but even when she's on I don't feel like they've got a very complimentary mix of personalities on there.

Reactions: AvBuff

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Agreed about Meghan. She is under utilized on the pod, but even when she's on I don't feel like they've got a very complimentary mix of personalities on there.

Let's just say the "mix" is less of an issue listening to the podcast. On YouTube, Meghan looks completely out of place: 3 fat guys in t shirts and cargo shorts talking hockey and doing shots . . . and Meghan. Who always looks good and is very articulate , if soft-spoken.

Reactions: LazRNN

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I just can't get into the Avalanche podcasts. The team is so tight lipped, nobody has any news to offer. It's just folks chatting and providing the same insight that we all offer each other here. They just seem to be redundant...but then again, I basically live on here.

It could be that I just don't deal well with listening to things that are presented in an unstructured format.

Reactions: henchman21

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
I just can't get into the Avalanche podcasts. The team is so tight lipped, nobody has any news to offer. It's just folks chatting and providing the same insight that we all offer each other here. They just seem to be redundant...but then again, I basically live on here.

It could be that I just don't deal well with listening to things that are presented in an unstructured format.
I’m the exact same way. The rare time I do start one, I find myself skipping through them and then I just quit

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’m the exact same way. The rare time I do start one, I find myself skipping through them and then I just quit
Yeah, I mean I have no problems listening to an audiobook or news on the radio, but podcasts in general, not just Avs, I can't do. Even Spittin' Chicklets on youtube, I usually watch the intro, skip to the interview and then call it a day.

Reactions: avalanche_country

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO a good analysis podcast is difficult. Too much nuance to the game and it would get dry really quick. Surface level stuff is easy, but is also boring if you are invested enough to say post here. Chiclets is funny at times, but it is more story time than hockey.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Yeah, I mean I have no problems listening to an audiobook or news on the radio, but podcasts in general, not just Avs, I can't do. Even Spittin' Chicklets on youtube, I usually watch the intro, skip to the interview and then call it a day.
Interesting. I love podcasts (but weirdly not big on the sports ones) and love reading but have the hardest time with audiobooks. I could read an actual book for hours on end but struggle to pay attention to an audiobook just on a walk

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Best hockey podcast for infos is Seravalli’s.

It’s not too long, no useless stories. If you can get over the fact that Frank doesn’t know the game and you have to discard his opinion it’s even better. His co-host is good too.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Best hockey podcast for infos is Seravalli’s.

It’s not too long, no useless stories. If you can get over the fact that Frank doesn’t know the game and you have to discard his opinion it’s even better. His co-host is good too.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look him up tonight when I get home from work.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man y'all on here bitch about Altitude but I swear their production is at least one level, if not several, above the amateur-hour circus that is ESPN.

I'm almost appalled at how half-assed "The Worldwide Leader In Sports" has treated the NHL since they got the rights back. Apparently, they accidentally switched to the Avs/Stars game while the Rangers/Canes game was still in progress. It was only 20 seconds but holy shit I'd be losing it if I were a fan of either of those teams watching that.

Also, I absolutely cannot stand their intermission show. They dedicated practically the entire time between the 1st and 2nd of the Avs game talking about the Rangers. And Mess as a commentator leaves me...wanting. I'm just glad they're unable to speak about the Kings anymore because I guarantee you they would be heaping the coverage on them in order to snag those lovely Lakers fans they adore so much.

Is their NBA coverage this bad? Admittedly I try to avoid ESPN as much as I can these days but it can't possibly be like this.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Man y'all on here bitch about Altitude but I swear their production is at least one level, if not several, above the amateur-hour circus that is ESPN.

I'm almost appalled at how half-assed "The Worldwide Leader In Sports" has treated the NHL since they got the rights back. Apparently, they accidentally switched to the Avs/Stars game while the Rangers/Canes game was still in progress. It was only 20 seconds but holy shit I'd be losing it if I were a fan of either of those teams watching that.

Also, I absolutely cannot stand their intermission show. They dedicated practically the entire time between the 1st and 2nd of the Avs game talking about the Rangers. And Mess as a commentator leaves me...wanting. I'm just glad they're unable to speak about the Kings anymore because I guarantee you they would be heaping the coverage on them in order to snag those lovely Lakers fans they adore so much.

Is their NBA coverage this bad? Admittedly I try to avoid ESPN as much as I can these days but it can't possibly be like this.
If it weren't for the games I'm forced to watch on that network, I would completely ignore it. It's been complete garbage for 20+ years.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad