News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Cable companies are seeing great threats to their business model with streaming services. Which means they have a great incentive to lock in content at a lower price so if/when they need to dramatically cut prices down the line they have retain higher profitability. Altitude has a huge disadvantage when it comes to negotiating since they are a standalone operation. They do not have the leverage of being part of a network of cobranded channels for each region like AT&T Sportsnet. The cable companies know this and use it to skim margins off of channels like them. It sucks no one in Avalanche broadcast region can watch them legally but all that does is put more people off to both players.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dater is going to be on Orlando and Sandy every Wednesday. Dater I'm meh about, but it will be nice to hear Clough and Orlando talk hockey (and give the Broncos a ****ing rest).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dater is going to be on Orlando and Sandy every Wednesday. Dater I'm meh about, but it will be nice to hear Clough and Orlando talk hockey (and give the Broncos a ****ing rest).

Clough has some knowledge of the sport, but listening to Orlando talk hockey is rough lol

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I really don't understand what you mean when you say "If Altitude was really all about increasing their profits the paid subscription would be the way to go." You don't think they are about increasing their profits? If not, what is the motivation for Altitude here? A paid/separate tier for them is not only different than how they treat their own RSN's (which aren't on separate tiers), but would also wildly limit their distribution, which would hurt with advertising revenue and carriage fees. It wouldn't make them more money... it would severely reduce the amount of money they receive.

To help you understand, let’s say Altitude wants to X dollars for their content. A cable company is going to figure out x/# of viewers to equate out what that’s going to cost and if your cable bill is 80 or whatever maybe it’s $84 post Altitude deal or $4 per viewer. Cable company’s gotta eat that or pass it on to consumer. Meanwhile your 200 other freaking crazy # of cable channels are asking for raises every 2-3 years as well. So Altitude is definitely competing for cable dollars and the cable company has to figure out if it’s worth it or not. In a sports package offered by cable if they were to offer Altitude in a $10 or $20 package or whatever, Altitude is only competing with 5-10 other companies in that package for money. And it’s pretty simple to raise those paid packages to customers vs the general package.

Altitude definitely loses viewership on a sports package - you’re totally right. So the part about eating their cake - they want a raise despite low viewership. They want premium channel money but want to stay on the general cable offering. The cable companies definitely have to assess whether the # of viewers actually merit the cost increase. Especially since (hate to admit this but) there’s a lot of people that never turn the Altitude channel on. It’s the same scenario by which you probably don’t want to pay extra for the Lifetime or Hallmark channels. The only way to really hash things out equally is to go by viewership numbers across all channels. Unless Altitude wanted to go to its own sports package. Then it’s only really competing against other sports channels for slices of a pie.

There was a great write up by a guy in the Denver Post a few weeks ago and he pretty much explained this and hit the nail on the head. Altitude really needs to backup their desired increase by having the viewers and they just don’t.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
To help you understand, let’s say Altitude wants to X dollars for their content. A cable company is going to figure out x/# of viewers to equate out what that’s going to cost and if your cable bill is 80 or whatever maybe it’s $84 post Altitude deal or $4 per viewer. Cable company’s gotta eat that or pass it on to consumer. Meanwhile your 200 other freaking crazy # of cable channels are asking for raises every 2-3 years as well. So Altitude is definitely competing for cable dollars and the cable company has to figure out if it’s worth it or not. In a sports package offered by cable if they were to offer Altitude in a $10 or $20 package or whatever, Altitude is only competing with 5-10 other companies in that package for money. And it’s pretty simple to raise those paid packages to customers vs the general package.

My cable provider (and I think all 3 of these) already break out the bill for regional sports fees. This didn't just come into existence with Altitude, and hasn't gone away now that they've been dropped. So, I get what you are saying, but right now it's literally not making even a cent of difference. If fact, the cable companies are simply pocketing now what they used to pay altitude before.

There's also the matter of how these companies deal with their own RSNs. When DirectTV's contract comes up with ATT Sports net, the negotiation for carriage fees is literally going to be between an owner and a subsidiary. So that line item you are talking about effectively becomes profit (i.e. whatever they "pass" onto you, goes right into their pockets) and I simply don't believe an equal profit consideration is being given to Altitude because it's NOT pure profit for them.

I think you are heavily underestimating the amount of money here. Even at 10 to 20 dollars, I don't think we are talking about the same amount of money that a sports fee on every subscriber in the region provides. This is precisely why altitude is saying that a "direct to consumer streaming option" isn't viable. For those that demand that this be included, it would cost way more than 10-20 per subscriber to get back in the black. Like it or not, the entire RSN model (not just altitude) is predicated on minimum number of subscribers, just like the other 200+ channels in the package. This also puts up a wall against gaining new fans/subscribers as the price to dabble becomes prohibitive.

Altitude definitely loses viewership on a sports package - you’re totally right. So the part about eating their cake - they want a raise despite low viewership. They want premium channel money but want to stay on the general cable offering. The cable companies definitely have to assess whether the # of viewers actually merit the cost increase. Especially since (hate to admit this but) there’s a lot of people that never turn the Altitude channel on. It’s the same scenario by which you probably don’t want to pay extra for the Lifetime or Hallmark channels. The only way to really hash things out equally is to go by viewership numbers across all channels. Unless Altitude wanted to go to its own sports package. Then it’s only really competing against other sports channels for slices of a pie.

Again, everyone wants a raise. Just inflation alone suggest that. But I get that you don't always get what you want. And to that effect, Altitude backed off from their initial ask of getting a moderate increas and simply tried to extend the status quo. Not sure how you reconcile that with your argument. But you are talking "premium channel money"... do you have actual numbers for that, or is this just a guess? I haven't been able to find numbers, which is why I'm asking. I honestly have no idea what Altitude is asking for or what Cable is countering with (other than rough percentages).

If we believe that Altitude is no longer asking for a raise, and will simply accept the terms of the previous deal, what exactly is the holdup then?

There was a great write up by a guy in the Denver Post a few weeks ago and he pretty much explained this and hit the nail on the head. Altitude really needs to backup their desired increase by having the viewers and they just don’t.

Again, this is a fact of life for every RSN. It's not just altitude. There is a reason why hard numbers of viewership isn't being provided by the cable companies. Just cherry picked stats that makes the overall viewership look "bad" with absolutely no comparable RSN numbers being given. This is what you'd expect when you are taking a hard position in negotiations, so it's not really surprising.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It's one thing to ask for an increase, but for the cable providers to lowball them at 50% is equally ridiculous. If Altitude's numbers were so abysmal, those previous increases never should have happened.

This. I'm convinced that this isn't about money. This is about rights. It's weird that people don't see that.

Reactions: Babel Salamander

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
This. I'm convinced that this isn't about money. This is about rights. It's weird that people don't see that.

That makes sense since many of the cable companies also own regional sports networks. See Comcast with NBC Sports Regional Networks or DirecTV/AT&T with AT&T Sportsnet. They want content that streaming services cannot provide and that is increasingly only live sports. It makes business sense for the cable companies to push Altitude to the breaking point on their current deal and have them hand over the rights. It is not about thinking they are paying too much money to carry Altitude but rather missing out on the opportunity for two ascending teams in a growing market to be part of their own regional networks.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That makes sense since many of the cable companies also own regional sports networks. See Comcast with NBC Sports Regional Networks or DirecTV/AT&T with AT&T Sportsnet. They want content that streaming services cannot provide and that is increasingly only live sports. It makes business sense for the cable companies to push Altitude to the breaking point on their current deal and have them hand over the rights. It is not about thinking they are paying too much money to carry Altitude but rather missing out on the opportunity for two ascending teams in a growing market to be part of their own regional networks.

This is where rampant, unregulated capitalism is a bad thing (really though, it's always, always, ALWAYS a bad thing). They're trying to drive Altitude out of business and sell to one of the RSN conglomerates they have an actual stake in. It's not that Altitude is not part of a larger national chain--it's that they don't exert any form of control over them.

Again, I'm not trying to paint KSE and Altitude as some sort of Bob Cratchit, but trying to freeze out a station to force it out of business is simply not negotiating in good faith, and it's not proper business practice. If the cable companies are THAT scared of cord cutting, there are other ways of trying to control costs that don't involve buying up/ruining RSNs.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Catching up with former Avs: Ryan O’Byrne

Good stuff from Dater--this is actually the kind of stuff he should be aiming for instead of trying so hard to get that inside scoop. Apparently O'Byrne is still good friends with Tyson Barrie (didn't even know those two played together much) and still keeps in touch with guys like his old defensive partner John-Michael Liles. He works for Gatorade now, went back to school and got his MBA. I always liked the guy, even though he had Guenin-like skill with the puck.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Catching up with former Avs: Ryan O’Byrne

Good stuff from Dater--this is actually the kind of stuff he should be aiming for instead of trying so hard to get that inside scoop. Apparently O'Byrne is still good friends with Tyson Barrie (didn't even know those two played together much) and still keeps in touch with guys like his old defensive partner John-Michael Liles. He works for Gatorade now, went back to school and got his MBA. I always liked the guy, even though he had Guenin-like skill with the puck.
I imagine he keeps in touch with Barrie through that BC party scene connection.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Every time I see this thread pop up I think its to announce an Altitude TV deal...

Might have to wait a few more weeks. Avs clearly aren't enough to get things moving but the Nuggets open their season on the 23rd so lets if that can get it done.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
This whole Don't Block my XXX campaign is just so stupid. Its getting annoying, how much is Altitude paying for having billboards up all around town, local TV spots all day long, all the online advertising, etc.? All for something that TV providers are just going to laugh at. Like they care when customers call in or sign petitions. If they really want a chance to get serious on this, they need to be a lot smarter. Pick a day on the calendar and call it cancel day. Tell all subscribers to call and cancel their service on that day if Altitude isn't on any more. Literally flood the providers with cancels and make sure you mention why you are canceling. If you can't corral enough people to make it matter, then give up Altitude, you will never get a deal done. This trickle of a few hundred people canceling a week on random days is getting them nowhere.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This whole Don't Block my XXX campaign is just so stupid. Its getting annoying, how much is Altitude paying for having billboards up all around town, local TV spots all day long, all the online advertising, etc.? All for something that TV providers are just going to laugh at. Like they care when customers call in or sign petitions. If they really want a chance to get serious on this, they need to be a lot smarter. Pick a day on the calendar and call it cancel day. Tell all subscribers to call and cancel their service on that day if Altitude isn't on any more. Literally flood the providers with cancels and make sure you mention why you are canceling. If you can't corral enough people to make it matter, then give up Altitude, you will never get a deal done. This trickle of a few hundred people canceling a week on random days is getting them nowhere.

They don't really have a choice. And whatever they're paying is a fraction of what they'll pay if they end up taking the providers' lowball deal.

The fact that these three providers are colluding with one another is yet another thing that isn't talked about. That shouldn't be allowed either.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They don't really have a choice. And whatever they're paying is a fraction of what they'll pay if they end up taking the providers' lowball deal.

The fact that these three providers are colluding with one another is yet another thing that isn't talked about. That shouldn't be allowed either.

It’s stupid on both ends. The collusion from the big 3 is ridiculous, but the incessant whining from altitude is also pretty obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad