GDT: Colorado Avalanche host the St. Louis Blues @ 8:30pm MT for Game #2 of the West Division Playoffs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
One guy who needs to get it goin' is Burakovsky. Very disappointed in his transition game thus far. When he's on he's an absolute killer in that regard, as he proved against the Stars last postseason. Maybe Bednar will finally put him and Saad back together--I think they work really well and frankly don't like him with Donskoi...those two are just too similar to one another IMO.
Hot and cold streaks. He finished the season on what, an 8 game point streak? I doubt he generates a single point this 1st round lol but that should bode well for if we get to the 2nd round and he heats up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hot and cold streaks. He finished the season on what, an 8 game point streak? I doubt he generates a single point this 1st round lol but that should bode well for if we get to the 2nd round and he heats up.

But he will disappear in the finals and then get exposed to Seattle in favor of Kadri who gets a hat trick in every game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kinda weird that the MacKinnon point shot has been so effective in this series.

I didn’t really like it in the regular season, but that set play is absolutely killing the Blues.

Yeah I'm a little surprised those shots are getting through so easily. No complaints of course.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I didn’t love Bednar’s coaching job last night.

I didn’t like the lines when Kadri went out and he started playing Nemeth over Makar in the second half of the game.

It’s probably not a coincidence that the Blues started to take over when he puts so much faith in a lesser defenceman.

Makar only played 21:21, which is his lowest TOI in the last 28 games. Unacceptable. The only time Nemeth should be around 17 minutes is when the Avs take 6/7 penalties in a game.

Also... keeping the top line under 20 minutes doesn’t make any sense to me. Burakovsky and Saad were both under 13 minutes too. Some weird usage last night from Bednar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
One guy who needs to get it goin' is Burakovsky. Very disappointed in his transition game thus far. When he's on he's an absolute killer in that regard, as he proved against the Stars last postseason. Maybe Bednar will finally put him and Saad back together--I think they work really well and frankly don't like him with Donskoi...those two are just too similar to one another IMO.
I agree, both Burakovsky and Donskoi are guys who try to find open ice or positions to score from, rather than being playmakers (though Bura has some playmaking), so them together doesn't really work that well. Donskoi needs to play with a C who can distribute the puck and find him in good positions, and historically with the Avs he's done well production wise whenever he's played with a playmaker, whether that was Mackinnon or Jost - but typically much worse with Kadri and Compher neither of who are playmakers.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I didn’t like the lines when Kadri went out and he started playing Nemeth over Makar in the second half of the game.

It’s probably not a coincidence that the Blues started to take over when he puts so much faith in a lesser defenceman.

Makar only played 21:21, which is his lowest TOI in the last 28 games. Unacceptable. The only time Nemeth should be around 17 minutes is when the Avs take 6/7 penalties in a game.

Also... keeping the top line under 20 minutes doesn’t make any sense to me.

I don't necessarily blame him for wanting to protect his two best players (he rotated MacKinnon out of there for a bit as well) when he knows damned well Chief is telling his players to take runs at everyone. It would've been fine had they not decided to turtle at the same time.

I don't think the Nemeth idiocy happens, or at least there's a lesser chance of it, had other guys been doing their jobs. A couple key moments in last night's game surrounded Sammy Girard, who had to tornade like crazy because NO ONE was getting open for him to dish it. He turned it over both times, but I don't blame him on those occasions. Guys just started standing still and leaning back a lot, and that's simply not what this team does.

Reactions: klozge

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Also... keeping the top line under 20 minutes doesn’t make any sense to me.

I think its due to how St Louis hopes to punish the Avs so it may pay dividends late in the series.

If the series goes 6 games or more, Bednar's probably trying to save wear and tear.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think its due to how St Louis hopes to punish the Avs so it may pay dividends late in the series.

If the series goes 6 games or more, Bednar's probably trying to save wear and tear.

That’s a fair point and if you can win and keep guys a little more rested it’s certainly a good thing.

I just hate seeing guys like MacKinnon and Makar being underutilized.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That’s a fair point and if you can win and keep guys a little more rested it’s certainly a good thing.

I just hate seeing guys like MacKinnon and Makar being underutilized.

Well, I think for a lot of people, itd more about Nemeth/Graves being minimized so there aren't so many costly mistakes. It seems like 2 or 3 of their goals have been due to careless passing by Nemeth.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW for all the talk about Nemeth's stupid outlet pass to no one, what about that idiotic pinch down low he made (and completely failed to secure the puck) that left Girard and Jost behind to defend the resulting break the other way, and G as a result was completely unable to cover Hoffman on the far side? That was nearly as bad a brain fart as the other thing IMO.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
BTW for all the talk about Nemeth's stupid outlet pass to no one, what about that idiotic pinch down low he made (and completely failed to secure the puck) that left Girard and Jost behind to defend the resulting break the other way, and G as a result was completely unable to cover Hoffman on the far side? That was nearly as bad a brain fart as the other thing IMO.
He made multiple stupid decisions imo. Mistakes happen. Even dumb, silly, unprovoked and highly dangerous mistakes happen. Multiple dumb, silly, unprovoked and highly dangerous mistakes should not happen regularly. They do, though, when it comes to Nemeth in 2021, they do.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Bednar has said that Nemeth does things on the PK that no other defenceman on the team can do.

I legitimately don’t know what he means by that, but I don’t think it’s enough for him to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with bringing Nemeth back is that he's comfort food for coaches. They can always motivate playing him over better players because he can play on the PK, no matter how much it hurts the team overall.

Avs are built on speed and puck movement. Nemeth is the antithesis of what we need.

Reactions: klozge

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
That first Landeskog goal was so beautiful to see especially with Oreilly looking so stupid. One captain stayed loyal to his team, and the other seemed to always want to leave.. As an RFA and UFA... Clearly Oreilly never liked Colorado for whatever reason. I always love seeing Mackinnon or Landeskog hit him to the ice.

We are lucky we got Landeskog, we need to keep him an Avalanche for life

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
TBH Berube is a pretty terrible coach.

I've always believed that to be true. Just ridiculous how everything just fell into place so perfectly at the beginning of 2019 all the way through the playoffs.

Berube and Carlyle IMO are two of the worst if not the worst coaches to have their names on the Stanley Cup. Just goes to show you that it might take elite talent to win it all, it doesn't take elite coaching.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The problem with bringing Nemeth back is that he's comfort food for coaches. They can always motivate playing him over better players because he can play on the PK, no matter how much it hurts the team overall.

Avs are built on speed and puck movement. Nemeth is the antithesis of what we need.

Yeah, I agree. Proof positive that you shouldn't always indulge your coaches.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I've always believed that to be true. Just ridiculous how everything just fell into place so perfectly at the beginning of 2019 all the way through the playoffs.

Berube and Carlyle IMO are two of the worst if not the worst coaches to have their names on the Stanley Cup. Just goes to show you that it might take elite talent to win it all, it doesn't take elite coaching.

Yeah 2019 just looks all around fluky for the Blues (that series against Dallas should have went the other way), but credit where credit is due. They won and earned that Cup.

Agreed... elite coaching is nice, but it is more about the talent on the team and if they are rolling at the right time.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah 2019 just looks all around fluky for the Blues (that series against Dallas should have went the other way), but credit where credit is due. They won and earned that Cup.

No arguments here, every championship is won with at least a modicum of luck, Avs are no exception to this. I just think it's so weird how EVERYTHING came together perfectly. Armstrong went out and brought in a bunch of talent, and nearly every gamble (O'Reilly especially) worked. Schwartz did jack shit during the regular season and then turned into Phil f***ing Kessel once the playoffs started. No surprise on O'Reilly, still pissed off that Buggalo gift wrapped him for Armstrong like they did, but good for Army for taking advantage of a dumb franchise and GM. Lastly, the goalie who started out fourth on their depth chart finally gets a start because of injuries and what not to all the other guys and becomes the franchise netminder they so desperately needed. That's hockey for ya...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad