Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
The big question is how will he handle a long run?

There were comments about him being tired months ago already
Yeah that's definitely the thing in question here. Hopefully he can get some rest time in between rounds to buffer things a bit. I'd like to see Vegas and Dallas go 7 games and so on

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
thats the thing about the uber elite - they can look average and put up 9 pts in 5 gp

Not saying this was his best series, but you can't say he got shut down when he had 9 pts in 5 gp, opportunistic or not

MacKinnon hit 2 posts one of the games at 5 on 5. They didn’t go in but let’s say they did but instead two of his PP assists hit posts but didn’t go in. Very little would have changed regarding the activity on the ice but his interpretation would likely be vastly different.

That’s why this commentary is a little short sighted and somewhat obnoxious"

Reactions: Team Bring It

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
How is it that every other team realized that playing your starter 60+ times every year didn't lead to PO wins besides the Jets?
631bfe6c8f9ec1d934d3d96ac9a72ba6.png

Worked for the Avs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hellabuck would've been had to been superman to win, he wasn't the issue. Look at the Colorado goals scored.

1st - Backdoor play off the rush wide open.
2nd - Trenin allowed to walk right in front unimpeded from below goal line.
3rd - Own goal shot in by dman
4th - High tip, dman didn't tie up the stick
5th - 2on1 pass across slot with two elite players

Maybe he makes a save or two on these in regular season. The Jets team just isn't it and counting on a goalie to play out of his mind and carry you aint it either

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
MacKinnon hit 2 posts one of the games at 5 on 5. They didn’t go in but let’s say they did but instead two of his PP assists hit posts but didn’t go in. Very little would have changed regarding the activity on the ice but his interpretation would likely be vastly different.

That’s why this commentary is a little short sighted and somewhat obnoxious"
he also leads the playoffs in SOG - he was flat out not shut down at all

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Dallas is not a bad matchup for Colorado actually, style wise. The Avs have had their number for years now.

Likewise, Vegas has had the Avs number for years now.
This is the best team Dallas has had in that span though and I think they have the depth scoring to keep up while also having a better goalie

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Lowry: "I thought we played well. The difference is our line gives up 3 against the MacKinnon line."

He did a good job overall, but yesterday they got torched and that's all it takes. One bad game and the MacK line put up 6 points.

Seems like a good captain. Said all the right things. Took some accountability for his line giving up 3.

Also plays really hard each shift.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How did the Jets lose the goaltending duel
Goaltending is voodoo and banking on it is foolish.

I said before the series that the Jets are frauds. They're not really a good team. Mostly propped up by elite goaltending. When they don't get elite goaltending, this is the result.

This happened last year. They overplay Helly in the regular season, then he collapsed in the playoffs.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Gg jets, same to the fans as well. We had some fun banter and managed to actually talk hockey a fair bit which is hard to do when most fan bases want to complain about dirty teams or bad officiating. It was actually the least toxic series among fans I can remember in some time.

Pegs downfall was not playing physical enough imo. Getting the puck deep and hammering our d is a tried and true way to slow them down. I fully expected the jets forwards to do that and am very surprised that they didn’t. Next series will be a lot rougher on our boys I think.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
thought it would take 7 games for the Avs, but the ghost of PLD infected the jets it seems

buzzsaw performance from the Avs

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Was hilarious in hindsight too see the overreaction to the shellacking the Avs got by the jets at the end of the regular season. right before the playoffs started

I told yall, recency bias is a bitch. The avs were always the better team.

Also, Hellebuck is a straight up fraud

Reactions: JKG33

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
This is the best team Dallas has had in that span though and I think they have the depth scoring to keep up while also having a better goalie

Oettinger has had a fairly down season, the Avs have more grit and size than they have at any point with this core. The only thing you worry about with Dallas is who Jamie Benn is going to injure when he gets mad.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They didn't lose because of Hellebuyck, but how can you be happy with a consistent .870 sv% over a series? Relying on a goalie stealing games is a horrible plan, but then again if he actually stole a game, maybe that would've sparked up the team and also got into the heads of Avs a bit.

Which one could he have realistically stolen? Through the critical middle 3 games, the Jets scored 2 goals or less every game. The total goal differential for that 3 game stretch, excluding the 3 empty netters, was 8. There were a few goals in those games Helle would like to have back, but most of them were either grade A chances or deflections/rebounds. Give him 4 back, that would have put him at a respectable .910. It would move his goals versus expected from -1 to +3. And the Jets still need 4 goals from somewhere just to even it up.

Maybe if he doesn't mishandle the puck against Parise in game 2 which lead to the GWG, the Jets could have hung around. But it's so hard to give them the benefit of the doubt, because Manson was scoring on a breakaway 2 minutes later. They hung Helle out to dry over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad