Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Stupidest post of the thread.

Congratulations!

Yeah, there was a time the team with the better defense and goaltending would win the series. Wild I know. But the way the game is now, you can outscore your flaws. Not always, but you can.
...and we have a new champion!!! Same as the original champion!

You sir are a two-time champion!!!

Must be fun to CLEARLY NOT watch a playoff series but then post some expert analysis on a forum.

I've never watched a game of soccer in my life but I think I'm going to go find a Manchester United forum and post that if they run faster, they would probably win more and also maybe stop kicking the ball like way over the net.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Tough crowd. They swept the Oilers in 2021. Vegas won the SC last year.
They swept the Oilers when he saved like 14 goals above expected over four one-goal games and then got swept in the next round when he did not. Such is the life of the Jets--if Hellebuyck isn't god mode they get folded.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
...and we have a new champion!!! Same as the original champion!

You sir are a two-time champion!!!

Must be fun to CLEARLY NOT watch a playoff series but then post some expert analysis on a forum.

I've never watched a game of soccer in my life but I think I'm going to go find a Manchester United forum and post that if they run faster, they would probably win more and also maybe stop kicking the ball like way over the net.
Unless the other team kept fouling them and playing physical and slowing them down because the game was being called that way.

I watched the whole series. I knew before the series Colorado was going to win. They're built for the way the game is currently played. If you fail to understand that there was a time scoring 5 goals a game wasn't a viable strategy to win games. Used to be hard to score 5 goals a game. Wasn't something you could count on doing consistently no matter how good you were. Look at Ovechkin's early Washington teams. He would've won a Cup sooner than 2018 if the game was played then the way it is now. Instead their defense and goaltending would cost them come playoff time. Sorry if this is too hard to understand.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
After watching Hellebuycks post game comments, I don't think you can put all the blame on him. As he said that he didn't see half of the pucks that went past him.

Reactions: Devonator

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They didn't lose because of Hellebuyck, but how can you be happy with a consistent .870 sv% over a series? Relying on a goalie stealing games is a horrible plan, but then again if he actually stole a game, maybe that would've sparked up the team and also got into the heads of Avs a bit.

Less teams are going to be willing to invest huge dollars into " star" goalies I think for reasons like what just happen. If they go cold the wrong time the series is sunk before it began. You can shake off potentially a lot easier if a core forward or defenseman is off their game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
After watching Hellebuycks post game comments, I don't think you can put all the blame on him. As he said that he didn't see half of the pucks that went past him.

When I heard that I couldn't tell if he was burying his own teammates for screening him or not doing enough defensively.....or if he was just complimenting the skill of an Avs team that unleashed a barrage of offense on the Jets all series long, putting up 5+ every single game.

Ray Mercer

Oct 3, 2018
The Jets had a great regular season but they don't have anywhere near the talent Colorado has. Makar and Mackinnon are generational talents. Ehlers, Scheifele and Connor are finesse players that don't have any grit and will never succeed in the playoffs with tight checking. Hellybuyck is taking a lot of heat but most of those goals he had no chance on.

Reactions: hn777

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
When I heard that I couldn't tell if he was burying his own teammates for screening him or not doing enough defensively.....or if he was just complimenting the skill of an Avs team that unleashed a barrage of offense on the Jets all series long, putting up 5+ every single game.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be impressed with his presser if I was a jets fans. Maybe he’s just not great in front of a camera but to me he directly called out his D and coaching staff, said he was playing as good as he ever had. Not a great interview imo. In realty he wasn’t the problem, but saying these things after a historically bad series stats wise isn’t a great look.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

I don't think he's blaming his teammates. I think he's just crediting the avalanche for how well they played in front of him for screening him And not letting them see pucks.

But I still feel bad for the guy. He's likely going to win the vezina this year and unfortunately got destroyed in the playoffs. If he was on his game, he easily should have been the difference maker in the series.

The Avalanche clearly had a game plan on how to score on Hellebuyck and they executed very well.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah, I wouldn’t be impressed with his presser if I was a jets fans. Maybe he’s just not great in front of a camera but to me he directly called out his D and coaching staff, said he was playing as good as he ever had. Not a great interview imo. In realty he wasn’t the problem, but saying these things after a historically bad series stats wise isn’t a great look.
I don't think the fans have a problem with their player speaking out the truth. His teammates? That's a different topic.

I don't think he's blaming his teammates. I think he's just crediting the avalanche for how well they played in front of him for screening him And not letting them see pucks.
Credit the Avs, or blaming his teammates. It's the same side of a coin of which the other half is putting the blame on himself.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I feel bad for Bowness......can't think of any other figure, short of Bettman himself, who's been in the league as long as Bowness has without managing to win a Cup.

This might've been his last kick at the can, although I'm sure he'll still retire when he's ready and spend time with family again.

Reactions: Mr. Fancy Pants

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Credit the Avs, or blaming his teammates. It's the same side of a coin of which the other half is putting the blame on himself.

I do agree that he should have said straight up that he needs to flat out be better. That way it sounds like he taking more accountability for not performing like the goalie that he is.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I do agree that he should have said straight up that he needs to flat out be better. That way it sounds like he taking more accountability for not performing like the goalie that he is.
I frankly think Hellebuyck is right, it was mostly the Jets as a team that caused him to look so bad. But you don't say that aloud. You bite your lip and take responsibility.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing whoever the Avs next opponent can take out of this - figure out a way to move the puck cleanly out of their own zone. Josh Morrissey was it. Logan Stanley was not.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I’ve thought this would be the worst possible matchup for Winnipeg and not surprised really by the result.
I totally agree with this sentiment....the moment I saw the bracket for the Jets, I knew they were not escaping the first round....and that isn't a shot against an excellent Jets team but the reality that was facing them at the hands of a recent Stanley cup team with high high end talent...the Avs could easily win it all this year though Dallas and Vegas will have something to say about that.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
441243028_834240832085002_4362873740330174836_n.jpg

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Hey everyone! You know that idiot who said that the Jets had 20 players who were better than all but Colorado's top couple of guys?

That was me! I'm that idiot!

So I'm here to eat crow. I was wrong. Very wrong. That's what happens when you base your opinion on limited observation. I only saw the Avs three times this season, all against the Jets, and quite frankly, they sucked. I should have kept my mouth shut, though, because they they dominated the Jets in every area in the playoffs, and they deserved to win, so congratulations to all of you Avalanche fans. Your team is playing incredibly entertaining hockey right now, and I hope they win the Cup.

I don't usually embarrass myself this way, because most of the time I keep my mouth shut and don't make predictions. It makes me crazy when other people here who obviously never watch the Jets show up and make stunningly stupid and inaccurate comments about them, so what did I do? The exact same thing.

Anyway, I'm owning it. My bad. Colorado dominated Winnipeg in every way. Hopefully the Jets will learn something from it, and get better. You've got a fast, exciting team, Colorado. Good luck from here!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Hey everyone! You know that idiot who said that the Jets had 20 players who were better than all but Colorado's top couple of guys?

That was me! I'm that idiot!

So I'm here to eat crow. I was wrong. Very wrong. That's what happens when you base your opinion on limited observation. I only saw the Avs three times this season, all against the Jets, and quite frankly, they sucked. I should have kept my mouth shut, though, because they they dominated the Jets in every area in the playoffs, and they deserved to win, so congratulations to all of you Avalanche fans. Your team is playing incredibly entertaining hockey right now, and I hope they win the Cup.

I don't usually embarrass myself this way, because most of the time I keep my mouth shut and don't make predictions. It makes me crazy when other people here who obviously never watch the Jets show up and make stunningly stupid and inaccurate comments about them, so what did I do? The exact same thing.

Anyway, I'm owning it. My bad. Colorado dominated Winnipeg in every way. Hopefully the Jets will learn something from it, and get better. You've got a fast, exciting team, Colorado. Good luck from here!
Congrats! It takes a big man to come back and admit you were wrong. Hope more people were like you. Jets have a very good team but it was just a bad matchup for them. They would have fared much better against a slower team like Dallas IMO. Good luck next year.........except against us of course. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad