Proposal: Colorado - Anaheim

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Ok, cancel out Byram and Gibson (remove EJ too since he’s only there to balance Gibson’s income). Are you sincerely going to debate that Barron + Kaut + 1st + Compher is a bad offer for Rakell and Manson?
Compher's contract is a big no thanks. that 1st is a late one so not that much interest there. I think we'd get more value moving Rakell and Manson separately than for two prospects that I don't see as huge upgrades over what we have now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Compher's contract is a big no thanks. that 1st is a late one so not that much interest there. I think we'd get more value moving Rakell and Manson separately than for two prospects that I don't see as huge upgrades over what we have now.
Very good

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The last prospect even close to Byram’s value which was traded was Brannstrom (he wasn’t that close to Byram but still the closest) who was the main piece of a trade for an extended Mark Stone. Yet you think it’s fair to suggest not only Byram for two pending UFA’s but major pieces added to Byram on top of it?

Um... what? I never said Byram for Rakell and Manson. Manson's value is more the 27th pick. Ducks would want Byram for Gibson with retention (Gibson isn't a pending UFA... unless you think 6 years left is pending). Rakell and Manson would be available for significantly less. For Ottawa, Stone was a pending UFA... no guarantees he was going to re-sign with the Senators (he actually probably wasn't). I can guarantee you Gibson will be here next season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Um... what? I never said Byram for Rakell and Manson. Manson's value is more the 27th pick. Ducks would want Byram for Gibson with retention (Gibson isn't a pending UFA... unless you think 6 years left is pending). Rakell and Manson would be available for significantly less. For Ottawa, Stone was a pending UFA... no guarantees he was going to re-sign with the Senators (he actually probably wasn't). I can guarantee you Gibson will be here next season.
My bad. I read you say Rakell and Manson (not Gibson) and then list all those players which I thought was a proposal of your own not including Gibson but you were actually just breaking down the initial offer. My apologies.

Reactions: lwvs84

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No reason to retain on Gibson. $6.4 mill is a fair number. Think the OP deal is too convoluted.

Rackell doesn't need to be involved. Maybe Manson for his style of play makes sense.

Gibson and Manson for Byram, Compher (to offset cap hit, it's $3.5 mill for 2 more years but the cash is $1 mill higher in totality) and other young pieces, like Barron and a 1st makes sense.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
No reason to retain on Gibson. $6.4 mill is a fair number. Think the OP deal is too convoluted.

Rackell doesn't need to be involved. Maybe Manson for his style of play makes sense.

Gibson and Manson for Byram, Compher (to offset cap hit, it's $3.5 mill for 2 more years but the cash is $1 mill higher in totality) and other young pieces, like Barron and a 1st makes sense.

Under the assumption that the Ducks keep the 3rd overall and not land Eichel, it would depend on who the Ducks get at the draft. If the draft a LHD, it won't be someone as good as Byram probably but someone good enough that the position is no longer a need (then a guy like Newhook would be a lot more desirable). If they get Beniers/Guenther/etc., this deal makes more sense. I would try to get one of the young RHD, though, just because that's where the Ducks major weakness is in their prospect pool. They have Drysdale (looking like a future top pair RHD) and Andersson (who might be a 3rd pair RHD), but not much else in the NHL/AHL. Any deal for young players wouldn't be made until draft day because of the uncertainty of who will be available at 3.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
That’s an opinion. But yeah, sure, Bo Byram won’t help.

Bo Byram? Sure. The rest of everything else? We trade send away one of Anaheim's top wingers, toughest dman, and franchise goalie for.....

a rookie defensemen - a good one i'll give you -
a late 1st
and a bunch of tv static.

Is it better than the hodgepodge of nonsense that gets shotgunned on this board where ducks fans have the luxury of paying other teams to take gibson? Maybe. Hell, we still are paying you by sending EJ's contract this way.

But again, it's all a moot point since Gibson and the Ducks hands are tied together.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The rerun here is more than fair for Anaheim when you consider what Palmieri and Zajac went for to NYI.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's Grubauer only chance at a big payday tho. He's already 29, don't see him taking a huge discount considering the season he got, and his age.

I think he'll be asking for an 8year 7/8M per kind of deal. Witu Landy at around 8/9 too, can the Avs sign everyone?

Avs shouldn't pay up on either of those deals. Maybe Landy at $8m if you can't get him any lower. There's very few goalies I'd pay that much for and Grubauer isn't one of them. Say goodbye.

Reactions: Avs44

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To Denver
- Gibson (1M retained)
- Rakell
- Manson

To Anaheim
- Byram
- 2021 1st
- Grubauer’s rights
- EJ’s salary (he lives in Newport and can LTIretire)
- Martin Kaut
- Drew Helleson/Justin Barron
- Compher/Donskoi

As I'm trying to understand the value here,

Manson for Helleson/Barron
Rakell for 1st + Kaut
Gibson for Byram

Compher/Donskoi worth zero, E.J. basically worth zero if he's insured and on LTIR, Grubauer's rights worth zero.

Is that how others read it?

They're not all perfectly even (I'd say Rakell is worth a bit more) but are they close enough?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Doesn't Colorado play a really good defensive game? They can get away with a lesser goalie than Gibson. They needed better depth d-men, a smaller deal around Manson (either extended and/or retained 50% for next season) would be cheaper. He'd add a physical, defense first d-man to the back end.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As I'm trying to understand the value here,

Manson for Helleson/Barron
Rakell for 1st + Kaut
Gibson for Byram

Compher/Donskoi worth zero, E.J. basically worth zero if he's insured and on LTIR, Grubauer's rights worth zero.

Is that how others read it?

They're not all perfectly even (I'd say Rakell is worth a bit more) but are they close enough?
I thought of it as

Byram + EJ for Gibson

Barron + Kaut for Rakell

1st for Manson

Compher is in to negate some salary if the latter to, as we see with nearly every futures trade ever orchestrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad