Speculation: Colin White's future in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Colin White was always seen as a 2/3 and that’s where he is presently.

We have a couple of years to see what he’s made of. Unlike some posters, I don’t think last season represented the zenith of his abilities.

You might also see Stutzle on Norris’ wing.

Too early to speculate and any number of guys on your list could fail to pan out as a centre for the Senators.

I agree with your assessment of Stutzle. I'm really hoping I'm wrong about White and that somehow he will find his stride. I've seen a few flashes of brilliance and few games where White looked like he could be unstoppable if he could put it all together, but thus far he has been extremely inconsistent. Last year his play was abysmal. He looked like a 3rd liner at best, but doesn't even have the physicality for that. He needs to show something this year.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
White needs to add some much needed muscle everywhere, hopefully he spent a lot of time in the gym during this long off season. He should get Fisher or Neil to train him or join Gary Robert's gym.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
White will be great for us. After the TDL he went up to 17-18mins a night, and he posted 7pts in 6gp. Then Covid happened at the absolute worst moment for him.

He had worked his way out of his early season funk, which we all know was really freaking hard to watch. He eventually earned the trust of his new coach. And then after Pager was traded he was given the minutes/trust/linemates that are needed to produce positive results. And low and behold, he was exactly the player we had hoped he become.

Now I dont think Whitey is a top line PPG center or expect him to keep that pace up next season. But I do believe hes going to either be a legit two-way 2nd line Center or winger that's good for about 50pts on average.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Colin White is the least of my worries. And, no, he is not half the player Mike Fisher was!

Colin White will end up settling into a 3rd line Center or a Winger, depending if Norris ends up being a 2C or 3C.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Great insight from Simmer Friday how White’s contract will be an issue for every RFA signing with Ottawa. Nice insight from a former league exec about how no one will want to be paid less than him. How that contact absolutely interferes with the internal cap structure on the Sens etc.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
In their 2nd NHL season? Good to know.

That's any team though. Though young, his production was cut in half.

Take any young NHLer and cut his next year's production in half and then go to that teams board. It will be filled with people asking what's wrong with him and why is he sucking.

Literally every sport on the planet, and every team in the planet has a "what have you done for me recently" mentality. That's pro sports for you.

No one is offering Joe Thornton 8 million because he was good a few years ago. Its about what he's done recently.

Sure, his age sucks, but if Thornton was coming off a near ppg season, he would have signed for big money on 1 year contract. But because he played like hot garbage, he got a league minimum offer.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Take any young NHLer and cut his next year's production in half and then go to that teams board. It will be filled with people asking what's wrong with him and why is he sucking.

Literally every sport on the planet, and every team in the planet has a "what have you done for me recently" mentality. That's pro sports for you.

No one is offering Joe Thornton 8 million because he was good a few years ago. Its about what he's done recently.

Sure, his age sucks, but if Thornton was coming off a near ppg season, he would have signed for big money on 1 year contract. But because he played like hot garbage, he got a league minimum offer.

Asking why he's sucking is not the same as saying he outright sucks and is garbage and always making point to let everyone know it.

White has only completed two full seasons, and the sophomore slump is a well known occurrence. Joe Thornton played like hot garbage because he's on his last legs. If he was 30 and had down year he would command more than the league minimum.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Great insight from Simmer Friday how White’s contract will be an issue for every RFA signing with Ottawa. Nice insight from a former league exec about how no one will want to be paid less than him. How that contact absolutely interferes with the internal cap structure on the Sens etc.
Not one of Dorion's best contracts, and you can't fault White for signing it.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

Thorton got a sweetheart deal to come home and try to give some character to TML. But I think it is way past that in Toronto. White has definitely not had a linear development. But we've (Ottawa Senators) invested a lot of time and effort into this guy. He really needs to put it all together. When we drafted him, I recall them talking White being a hard nosed player with skill. So far I've only seen that hard nosed style in a few games. He looks tentative out there. I think he just needs to focus on bringing the heat every night and maybe that will bring the offense.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thorton got a sweetheart deal to come home and try to give some character to TML. But I think it is way past that in Toronto. White has definitely not had a linear development. But we've (Ottawa Senators) invested a lot of time and effort into this guy. He really needs to put it all together. When we drafted him, I recall them talking White being a hard nosed player with skill. So far I've only seen that hard nosed style in a few games. He looks tentative out there. I think he just needs to focus on bringing the heat every night and maybe that will bring the offense.

Have you ever seen him “bring the heat” ... at his best he is a nattering light fly that NHL strength swats away. He’s the kid on the ice that hopes that puck doesn’t come to him and auto dumps it when it does.

I would love for him to add 10-15lbs and deliver 2 body checks a game with some Fisher like defensive play.

Who do you think top NHL forwards would prefer to line up against

1. Watson
2. Paul
3. C.Brown
4. Chaplik
5. Formenton
6. White

He’s the weakest option in a weak bottom 6.

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Have you ever seen him “bring the heat” ... at his best he is a nattering light fly that NHL strength swats away. He’s the kid on the ice that hopes that puck doesn’t come to him and auto dumps it when it does.

I would love for him to add 10-15lbs and deliver 2 body checks a game with some Fisher like defensive play.

Who do you think top NHL forwards would prefer to line up against

1. Watson
2. Paul
3. C.Brown
4. Chaplik
5. Formenton
6. White

He’s the weakest option in a weak bottom 6.

It is not so much about pounds, rather than tenacity. Did size stop Pageau? Pageau is excellent in the face off circle and just about anywhere on the ice. He is a 2-3 center. White needs to act more like Pageau and less like what ever it is he is acting like. He needs to push the pace, carry the puck, and yes, HIT.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Asking why he's sucking is not the same as saying he outright sucks and is garbage and always making point to let everyone know it.

White has only completed two full seasons, and the sophomore slump is a well known occurrence. Joe Thornton played like hot garbage because he's on his last legs. If he was 30 and had down year he would command more than the league minimum.

Asking why he sucks is not the same as saying he sucks? Come on. That's semantics.

The point remains, if jumbo jo just came off a ppg season, he would have gotten paid more. Why? Because the NHL, like any other pro sports league, is very "what have you done for me lately", so if player X (in this case, white) sucks for a year, people will say he sucks.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It is not so much about pounds, rather than tenacity. Did size stop Pageau? Pageau is excellent in the face off circle and just about anywhere on the ice. He is a 2-3 center. White needs to act more like Pageau and less like what ever it is he is acting like. He needs to push the pace, carry the puck, and yes, HIT.

Oh I 100% agree... I just don’t see that character and ability in him at his present strength. He isn’t “strong at his size”.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Asking why he sucks is not the same as saying he sucks? Come on. That's semantics.

The point remains, if jumbo jo just came off a ppg season, he would have gotten paid more. Why? Because the NHL, like any other pro sports league, is very "what have you done for me lately", so if player X (in this case, white) sucks for a year, people will say he sucks.
Its not semantics at all. One is a question, the other is a response. Many here don't disagree he had a terrible year, myself included, but that doesn't mean we all think he sucks. He's had two full season in the league; one good one bad.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Its not semantics at all. One is a question, the other is a response. Many here don't disagree he had a terrible year, myself included, but that doesn't mean we all think he sucks. He's had two full season in the league; one good one bad.

One is a statement and one is a question but both infer that he does in fact suck. The question just digs a little bit deeper wondering WHY he sucks. But both directly imply that he does suck.

Btw, I'm not saying he sucks going forward. I'm just saying he had a sucky season and the way sports work means you'll have a lot of people saying he sucks or asking why he sucks because there's a lot of recency bias in all sports. It's very normal and common.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
One is a statement and one is a question but both infer that he does in fact suck. The question just digs a little bit deeper wondering WHY he sucks. But both directly imply that he does suck.

Btw, I'm not saying he sucks going forward. I'm just saying he had a sucky season and the way sports work means you'll have a lot of people saying he sucks or asking why he sucks because there's a lot of recency bias in all sports. It's very normal and common.
When you say someone sucks, you've concluded that is the type of individual they are, as if there is no room for improvement or change. I don't see a lot of people saying he sucks, but I see a lot saying he needs to be much better though, and I agree with it.

I can agree he had a sucky season. I can't agree that he sucks. Not yet anyway. They are not the same. When we got Andy from Colorado, he was having a sucky season, that doesn't mean he sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad