Speculation: Colin White's future in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
Center depth is currently out of this world for Sens. Here are all current and future C prospects:

Tierney
White
LBrown
Paul
Stuetzle
Norris
Pinto
Grieg
Chlapik
Kelly

I think it's fair to assume Chlapik and Kelly would be efficient at the NHL level in the 4th line role, same as Nick Paul. I don't think the latter will be on the team for much longer, he's probably going to get traded/let go by the end of the 2020-21 season.

I also doubt that Tierney will be part of the long term plans, Sens are doing a clean up and they will likely want to trade him in a package for something they need (wingers).

This means that the top-2 Center positions will likely be filled by 2 of Stuetzle, LBrown and Norris, all players who have more offensive upside than Colin White. Which means he would slot into a 3rd line center role, but then you also have Pinto and Grieg who will slot in that position; Pinto had a monstrous season in UND last year and plays a very good, all-rounded game and Grieg is a pest that would also be good in that role.

This leaves Colin White in a relatively weird position. What would you do with him? Clearly when Sens extended him for 6 years, they knew that would bring him into free agency. They gave him an OK contract where it's a bit high but it's not an albatross contract. I think at this point, Sens might be interested in trading him in a couple of years down the road, unless he completely changes his game and becomes indispensable for the team - but I don't think so. He could be a huge asset to a team in need of a reliable middle-6 C, a team with extra wingers, which the Sens are in dire need of now, and in the future.

What do you think will happen with Colin White?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Colin White was always seen as a 2/3 and that’s where he is presently.

We have a couple of years to see what he’s made of. Unlike some posters, I don’t think last season represented the zenith of his abilities.

You might also see Stutzle on Norris’ wing.

Too early to speculate and any number of guys on your list could fail to pan out as a centre for the Senators.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He can just sit back and collect the $$$. He needs to reinvent his game to plays as an effective 3RD line C or RW. It’s probably his weakest roll.

In sure we will start the year as a 1C on this team. In reality he should be battling for 2RW or 4RW.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
i think we need to see what happens over the next two years before we jump to any conclusions

right now, Sweatred's view aside, Colin White is an NHL player. There's a lot of guys on that list that have not established that. Until we have an actual log jam of guys, we don't have an issue. The other thing I'd note is that lots of guys come up thru the system as centers and end up as wings in the NHL. There's nothing wrong with having 8 guys dressed that can play centre. We typically see this with team Canada....4 centre slots, typically 7 or 8 guys on the squad that are centers in the league.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
As a side note PD suggested that Timmy will prob start playing LW with the team - so the real competition is between White, Norris, and Brown and the Sens will probably hand White the spot and demote or trade Brown (unfortunately).

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Colin White is the Mike Fisher of the modern day Sens... They'll always have a spot for him, even if he goes to one of the wings.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I feel Colin White is bound for RW in Ottawa. If he can adjust he may become a 2RW.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Keep Colin White... give Logan Brown ice time to prove himself this year that he is worthy of his draft status... If Brown does not step- up his game trade him as he does not fit the character & make up of the team.. During his OHL time with the Spitfires they traded for J.. Lemieux to help kick start Browns heart & passion.... it seems to be a failed experiment... Ottawa should be like Bill Belichick and cut your losses... trade him for a Max Jones & 2nd rd pick draft someone who speaks to the narrative of the team

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Easy. Move him to the wing. Most centers can make that move and do well. That's (one of the reasons) why centers are so coveted at the draft.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Absolutely . There must always be one , and there is no one else left .

it’s either him or Zaitsev , because literally other than like Anisimov (who no one cares about ) and Tierneu there is actually almost no one under contract who has played here that people can whip

If Colin plays well whipping boy will bestowed upon Tierney/Zaistev

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Could be that he was the worst player on the team last year ?
I don't have a whipping boy radar, so I don't know how it works.

Is that how its done? One bad season and then pile on the guy like he's hot garbage?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Colin White is the Mike Fisher of the modern day Sens... They'll always have a spot for him, even if he goes to one of the wings.
except for the hair, looks and thickness. Identical.

Twins.jpg

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't have a whipping boy radar, so I don't know how it works.

Is that how its done? One bad season and then pile on the guy like he's hot garbage?

No .. generally when anyone plays like hot garbage they get treated like hot garbage. Lets hope he has a great upcoming season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Tierny & Anisimov should be traded by the trade deadline so I don't see them as a threat to White. It's the acquisition of Stutzle that could make him expendable if & when they decide to give him a shot at centre. Norris IMO is a top six centre & it could all depend what happens with L. Brown & how the Sens feel about him as a future centre on this team. Personally, I see White as a potential trading piece in a few yrs, if another centre ever steps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad