Player Discussion Colin White RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Based on Baghdad Brucey's last propaganda hit, the groudwork is being laid and it looks like we may need to worry about the Colin White negotiations:

"A GM’s work is never done, so Dorion has a few issues left on his plate to deal with in the summer months. First, he has to get restricted free agents Colin White, Nick Paul, Michael Carcone and Christian Wolanin signed to new deals. Of that group, White might be the most difficult to sign and will be the most interesting to watch."

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It is interesting because there are arguments to be made for a bridge and arguments to be made for a long term deal. Unlike a guy like Wolanin who, IMO, should 100% be bridged. There's no reason to fret that any of these deals won't get done.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Colin White isn’t even an RFA, he’s a 10.2c.

He has no RFA rights and can’t sign an offer sheet, his only course of action is sitting out.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
It is interesting because there are arguments to be made for a bridge and arguments to be made for a long term deal. Unlike a guy like Wolanin who, IMO, should 100% be bridged. There's no reason to fret that any of these deals won't get done.

I don't think anyone is fretting over a short term deal not getting done. He's a non-arbitration eleigible RFA, the ball is firmly in the Sens court here. The issue is that this is a team that has shown an unwillingness (over the last few seasons) to sign players for their UFA years. Another bridge deal with a talented young player could easily give the impression that CW is on his way out the door once he's 27-28.

FYOUS could change all of that if it's real, but given where the team is currently at I wouldn't blame anyone for seeing a short term deal being the proverbial writing on the wall when it comes to White's long-term future in Ottawa.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It is interesting because there are arguments to be made for a bridge and arguments to be made for a long term deal.
This team just can't keep throwing out bridge deals until the player hits UFA eligibility. If you like the player and can identify him as some you want as part of your core going forward, pay up! Get this guy signed and give the vocal minority a reason to get excited and maybe even buy tickets.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Colin White isn’t even an RFA, he’s a 10.2c.

He has no RFA rights and can’t sign an offer sheet, his only course of action is sitting out.
The there is absolutely no reason for this then:
"White might be the most difficult to sign and will be the most interesting to watch"

Reactions: derriko

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This team just can't keep throwing out bridge deals until the player hits UFA eligibility. If you like the player and can identify him as some you want as part of your core going forward, pay up! Get this guy signed and give the vocal minority a reason to get excited and maybe even buy tickets.
I agree with that, I just see the argument for a bridge as well. I would sign him for 4-5 years (whatever doesn't bring him to UFA)

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think anyone is fretting over a short term deal not getting done. He's a non-arbitration eleigible RFA, the ball is firmly in the Sens court here. The issue is that this is a team that has shown an unwillingness (over the last few seasons) to sign players for their UFA years. Another bridge deal with a talented young player could easily give the impression that CW is on his way out the door once he's 27-28.

FYOUS could change all of that if it's real, but given where the team is currently at I wouldn't blame anyone for seeing a short term deal being the proverbial writing on the wall when it comes to White's long-term future in Ottawa.
I think Melnyk won't last long enough as owner to even see if FYOUS is real or not. Hopefully a new owner is in place once guys like White are due for their third contract.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think Melnyk won't last long enough as owner to even see if FYOUS is real or not. Hopefully a new owner is in place once guys like White are due for their third contract.

You're probably right, but until a sale happens I gotta go with the information available to me.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

The prelude to FYOUS is technically here with guys like White and Chabot needing new deals. I'm not sure Eugene realized this when he spouted off about it.

These deals should be slam dunks if he's truly serious about FYOUS. I'm not holding my breath, tho. I don't see how enough has changed financially for him to all of the sudden begin jacking up payroll.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
The there is absolutely no reason for this then:
"White might be the most difficult to sign and will be the most interesting to watch"
The only thing “interesting” is if he sits and/or requests a trade.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
White has very little leverage. He can't sign an offer sheet. If he sits out this year, there's a possibility he will miss two years of his career if there is another lockout.

I guess it's possible that White's camp has an inflated view of what he should get. In which case, the Senators would be right to stand strong. I think people are going to have a hard time giving the team the benefit of the doubt because of our recent history with money and players.

It's hard to really comment on now because it's so vague. It'll be really disappointing if it turns into a situation where we have to trade a secondary young player (not even one of our superstars like Chabot or Tkachuk) over an inability to square away the money side of things. I'm a bit surprised, since learning White was not eligible for an offer sheet, I didn't think there would have been any issues in re-signing him.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think it should be difficult, because he has very little leverage. But I do want him to be happy and get paid fairly. I don't want a Zaitsev deal, but would be happy with 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
White has very little leverage. He can't sign an offer sheet. If he sits out this year, there's a possibility he will miss two years of his career if there is another lockout.

I guess it's possible that White's camp has an inflated view of what he should get. In which case, the Senators would be right to stand strong. I think people are going to have a hard time giving the team the benefit of the doubt because of our recent history with money and players.

It's hard to really comment on now because it's so vague. It'll be really disappointing if it turns into a situation where we have to trade a secondary young player (not even one of our superstars like Chabot or Tkachuk) over an inability to square away the money side of things. I'm a bit surprised, since learning White was not eligible for an offer sheet, I didn't think there would have been any issues in re-signing him.
There has been nothing to suggest there will be any issues, that's the thing. One little opinion line by Garrioch, who is not a very good writer anyway, saying it would be the most difficult doesn't mean anything. There is nothing difficult about it other than both sides determining long term or short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad