Confirmed with Link: Colin White - Contract Talks (Signed ATO Post #634)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Great shift by White on his goal. Nice patience on the backhand. He has underrated hands imo

Looks very smart, patient and judges the space he is given very well.

Can't wait to see him with the big club.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
White is the kind of player that scores more through traffic than in open ice. He would put up more points playing against 6 opponents than on a perpetual 5-on-0. Playoff ppg > reg season. Real uphill force, clutch, y'know?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's looking like he's a better player than Lazar at the same age.

Regardless, he should still should spend at least one year in the AHL. Better for his development to play as the 1st line center in Belleville than the 4th line center in Ottawa.

Hell if it was up to me Chabot would join White in Belleville for a year.

Based on what exactly?

Oh that's right.

Sweet **** all.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
It's looking like he's a better player than Lazar at the same age.

Regardless, he should still should spend at least one year in the AHL. Better for his development to play as the 1st line center in Belleville than the 4th line center in Ottawa.

Hell if it was up to me Chabot would join White in Belleville for a year.

I doubt he'll be down there for a full year. He's already a fairly complete player and next year will be his draft +3 season. Lazar was on Ottawa for his draft +2 season. He also wasn't as good as White is [not as feisty, not as creative, not as good with the puck]. Players like White don't typically stick in the minors for long, especially when they're already a few years removed from the draft. Some comparables: Nick Foligno and Jaden Schwartz played around 30 games in the AHL; Mike Richards had one playoff run in the minors; Fisher and Ryan O'Reilly didn't play in the minors at all; Bergeron and Dustin Brown only played there because of the lockout; Ryan Callahan was a 4th round pick and still didn't even last in the minors for a full season.

In the case of a lot of these guys, spending their initial time in the NHL playing lesser minutes on the 4th line didn't seem to hurt them long term. You can gain a lot from spending time with NHL players and coaches, and even if you're only playing 12 minutes a game, that's 12 minutes against the best players in the world. I think if you're good enough, those lesser minutes won't kill your future. I wouldn't want him playing with Neil and Kelly mind you, but that won't be the case anyway [I hope..].

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I fully expect White to earn a spot on the Sens in training camp. He's ready for the NHL. Both he and Chabot are making the team out of camp. Looking forward to it. It'll be one of the most interesting rookie classes we've ever had.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did you happen to read the rest of the post I quoted by any chance?

I mean it appears twice on this page.

Well. The other thing he said that this could be a response to was "he should spend another year in bingo." But if not sure that deserves such a heated response.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nice patience for sure.

Obviously I don't include everyone on here (especially considering the point I am trying to make) but why are so many black & white regarding development.

To hear people suggest White or anyone needs 2-3 seasons in the AHL seems out of touch. Players require different development paths and those paths can change in 1 off-season.

Players good enough to be in the NHL should be in the NHL and if they aren't then we leverage whatever development options we have a avaliable.

In White and Chabot I will anticipate they can both start in Ottawa next season but if they aren't good enough they can be moved up and down at will...why not wait and see what happens before declaring what is best for them or the Senators now?

All that said...if White plays well again tonight I won't be surprised if he finds himself to Ottawa on Monday.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Playing in the NCAA changes the dynamics a bit. On one hand, he has played against men for two years and thrived. On the other hand, the NCAA schedule is pathetically light...the NHL grind hits those college guys like a tsunami by January.

I guess it depends on how quickly he can adjust to running a marathon over a sprint.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lazar was looking like he had the tools to be Fisher light in junior.

The wheels came off in the NHL . .. really coulda used more seasoning in retrospect.

I don't think Lazar would have turned out better had he played another year in Junior then spent time in the AHL.

Maybe White would benefit from a year in the AHL but coming to that decision requires so much more information than we have access to.

That's why advanced stats matter so much to people who want to talk like they know: it makes them feel like they have that missing piece of data required to make those calls.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think Lazar would have turned out better had he played another year in Junior then spent time in the AHL.

Maybe White would benefit from a year in the AHL but coming to that decision requires so much more information than we have access to.

That's why advanced stats matter so much to people who want to talk like they know: it makes them feel like they have that missing piece of data required to make those calls.
Some Advanced stats people and some non advanced stats people alike have suggested he needed more development time.

Oh. And. Some Advanced stats people and some non advanced stats people have also said more development time would not have helped him.

Some advanced stats people and some Non want white called up.

Some advanced stats people and some non want him in the AHL for a while longer. It's almost like belief in advanced stats (hilarious. They're just numbers It's not a matter of faith) isn't affecting anyone's decision on development.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
I fully expect White to earn a spot on the Sens in training camp. He's ready for the NHL. Both he and Chabot are making the team out of camp. Looking forward to it. It'll be one of the most interesting rookie classes we've ever had.

Totally agree. The Sens are in dire need of talent and skill - both these kids have way more than a few vets ahead of them.White - ONLY forwards w more right now - Hoffman, Turris, Ryan (if he ever gets it together), Stone.

Chabot - On D - Karlsson, Phaneuf (experience only), Methot (barely).

They should make the team out of camp unquestionably if we are going to progress and compete as a team. System is fine to get to the playoffs. Talent is what wins crucial games in the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad