I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Sad to see him go just because he seemed extremely well-liked by his teammates
Hope we put the cap/money savings to good use

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
For a guy this young to miss out on 10 million, ostensibly because of a shoulder injury, is disappointing.
The shoulder injury was just one factor of many. He didn'y play that well with a good shoulder.
The only reason this buy out makes sense is because they only have to pay out 1/3rd of his contract.
I think that is obvious. If Murray had a 1/3 buyout he'd probably be gone to.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Putting aside the whole buyout situation. We basically just lost a 20 something young center who was a former 1st round pick not too long ago and still has plenty of good hockey to give.

The buyout was probably the best decision (still TBD) but in hindsight, this will be looked back upon as bad asset management once again.

The blame is equal however, I am not blaming Dorion for the initial contract which had some logic at the time.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sucks for him that injuries did him in. I still believe he has a good NHL career ahead of him. Seems that 1/3 buyout was too enticing. Hopefully this means were going big game hunting this off-season.

The shoulder injury was just one factor of many. He didn'y play that well with a good shoulder.
He also had a nagging groin injury his 2nd season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Easy to say now. Not easy to say when the contract was signed. He is definitely better than some posters think he was and he has battled injuries. Something some posters just simply dont understand. The only reason this buy out makes sense is because they only have to pay out 1/3rd of his contract.
Exactly. If that's a normal buyout, I don't think we buy him out.

Another important thing to remember is that White was the first long contract we signed after the rebuild started. Chabot said it was a factor for him to commit for 8 years.

Reactions: bert

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Also, I'm pretty sick of hearing the term "asset management". Y'all also need to understand the term "risk management", which often conflicts with asset management.

OccidentalSoothsayer

Dec 7, 2017
New Westminster, B.C.
Had to make the move if they couldn't trade him.

He can play and if he can get a few off seasons in a row to properly train he will be a good middle 6 guy for just about any team.

The timing and severity of his injuries are just brutal...right from the broken arm in the last preseason game of his rookie season to the shoulder and concussion.

He hasn't been able to stay healthy long enough to train like an elite athlete let alone a pro. He isn't a 2nd line C but with his speed and defensive awareness he will have a few teams looking at him in FA.

Dude stayed his rookie year by breaking his arm blocking a shot in a preseason game against the Leafs.

Is know as RatRink for wanting to be around the rink so much. He didn't pan out but that's an ill-informed opinion.
His off-season workouts are lacking and it shows in his physique

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sad to see him go. Who knows what he would have been like this year. However, he wasn't worth his contract and that's on Sens brass. Hope he finds a good team in the league

otown

Sep 4, 2009
He hasn't made one play that showed serious skill since he was drafted. Played like a soft grinder in college and didn't change in the NHL
More often than not NCAA players are over-valued. Always an exception to the rule but White wasn't one of them!

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
No doubt about it, he‘s going to get another contract and things will work out for him. Although I liked him as a player, I was surprised that the Sens used that pick to get him. I thought there were better players to get. The Sens have flubbed on some high picks in the past 6 years e.g. Lazar, White, Brown, Gagne, and Boucher (imho) to name a few.

i hope that they can get a couple of difference-makers this summer and a coup of studs in the draft. Otherwise we will be just a tweener team.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It seemed to me that most people at the time of his signing felt that it was a risk. If it paid off we have another Batherson steal. If not we have an easy cheap buy out. Seemed like a good risk which if it pays off leads to impressive looking asset management.

Tough series of breaks for Whitey, he could still carve out a decent career yet

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
I hate to say it but I knew this draft pick was going to be bad immediately following his draft interview which starts at 4:15 in the link below (how inarticulate he was um ya know). I had a buddy from uni who's brother played on BC with White and said he was the biggest beauty and naturally athletic but had absolutely no brains.

Interestingly enough I find Byfield has the same pattern of speech as White... we'll see how his career turns out.

Reactions: SquidNasty

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Putting aside the whole buyout situation. We basically just lost a 20 something young center who was a former 1st round pick not too long ago and still has plenty of good hockey to give.

The buyout was probably the best decision (still TBD) but in hindsight, this will be looked back upon as bad asset management once again.

The blame is equal however, I am not blaming Dorion for the initial contract which had some logic at the time.

White was drafted 7 years ago.. He will be turning 26 next season.

Reactions: DueDiligence

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Too bad it didnt work out. White seems like the kinda guy you want to be buddies with. Hope he can find a role somewhere.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sometimes you just have to move on. Best of luck to White, who will undoubtably get another deal.

He’ll get to choose his destination from now on as a UFA will he not?

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Bert you’re one of the best posters here. Appreciated
Oh God no, he's terrible. He has some good fundamental knowledge from being around awhile but his perspectives are very dated. He also resorts to calling people "toxic" or "pathetic" when they disagree with him. Hard pass.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I hate to say it but I knew this draft pick was going to be bad immediately following his draft interview which starts at 4:15 in the link below (how inarticulate he was um ya know). I had a buddy from uni who's brother played on BC with White and said he was the biggest beauty and naturally athletic but had absolutely no brains.

Interestingly enough I find Byfield has the same pattern of speech as White... we'll see how his career turns out.

I'm all for deep dives, but using speech patterns to predict performance is a bit of a stretch. Articulate hockey players are the exception, not the rule.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Bad asset management but at least Doh didnt add a 2nd rounder to buy him out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad