Confirmed with Link: Colin Smith signs AHL contract with Marlies

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Those two guys could have signed anywhere. IMO there is an agreement with the Leafs that if a team wants them on an NHL roster the Leafs will oblige to a trade. The Leafs did it for Panik last year.

Certainly Smith and Holl look like they have some ability play well in the AHL or possibly at bottom tier NHLers.

Smith is on an AHL deal. He can't play for an NHL team on his current contract.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Like Marner, he has nothing left to accomplish at the junior level. What milestones are left for Brooks, a 200 point season?

On paper he looks ready to move on. A lot of them do. I'm simply pointing out that most likely many of them won't. Calm your ****.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
As an overeager, yes.

So are Piccinich and Walker.

Engvall will likely try to make the SHL this year before coming to NA.

I agree, most European players will continue to play overseas as it saves on contract spots. We have lots of room right now but that will change FAST. Also, lots of teams send players back to juniors to be overagers. Unless you are drafting top 2 overall you might as well be patient and try to wring out every drop of potential. Patience is a virtue.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I agree, most European players will continue to play overseas as it saves on contract spots. We have lots of room right now but that will change FAST. Also, lots of teams send players back to juniors to be overagers. Unless you are drafting top 2 overall you might as well be patient and try to wring out every drop of potential. Patience is a virtue.

Walker and Piccinich I see as overagers, Brooks I do not.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Glad they kept this kid around.. Very under-rated playmaker..

Dark Horse Star: Colin Smith Extended 2012-16 Highlights - TML

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Wouldn't be so sure about that. They may not be as experienced (vets) as last seasons club but they will have a deeper line up.

AHL eligible:

Andreas Johnson (RW)
J.J. Piccinich (RW)
Pierre Engvall (LW)
Andrew Nielsen (D)
Jeremy Bracco (RW)
Travis Dermott (D)
Jack Walker (W/D)
Adam Brooks (C)

+ the vets already there and the prospects who don't make the cut.

As other have mentioned, Piccinich, Bracco and possibly Walker will be back in the CHL next year, while Engvall has already signed a 1 year extention with Mora to stay in Sweden.

My assumption of being a lesser team was based on the players they are/will lose vs the players coming in.

- Arcobello and Nylander were both #1Cs at the AHL level last year, and are being replace by Brooks, a full year of C. Smith and now Cliche. That is a definite downgrade. Brooks is a rookie and I would consider 15ish goals and ~40 pts to be an impressive first year.
- The Marlies will likely lose some combination of Leivo/Brown/Hyman/Soshnikov for most of the season. They are being 'replaced' by Timashov & Johnson mainly (some AHL contract guys also). Another downgrade imo.
- The d core is losing Harrington, Percy and probably Brennan, too. They add Dermott and Nielsen. Again, you're comparing rookies (granted high potential rookies) to guys who had at least 2 years of experience, so I think that's going to be a bit of a downgrade as well.
- Goalie is the only position I would expect the Marlies to be improved at this year, just based on Sparks/Bibeau continuing to develop.

Given that the Marlies are likely getting weaker at all skater positions, I'm not sure how you could claim that they won't be worse next year (although maybe you don't agree that they are getting worse at those positions).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad