Player Discussion Colin Miller

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
In ways, it's akin to the Scandella and Montour acquisitions - in the moment it may look good but the reality of their play (and the issues of the team) left all three as disappointing in their time in Buffalo.
Looking back at it, all 3 of those guys are guys you try to acquire for a playoff push. They are not core guys you build around.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
In ways, it's akin to the Scandella and Montour acquisitions - in the moment it may look good but the reality of their play (and the issues of the team) left all three as disappointing in their time in Buffalo.
When you try fix a rotten, putrid stew by adding fresh vegetables to it all you do is waste time and money and ruin the vegetables. Kevyn Adams dumped out the stew.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Too bad. I liked the trade when we got him, and thought he was a better player than he actually is. We are starved for right shot D, and it's just weird that we will be pushing him out the door soon.
Miller has been servicable. I think we are not to the point in our build talent wise to be concerned with how many at each spot to much. To me we are still at the phase of..... can we upgrade from Miller? Can we get a better vet, or higher potential prospect that can fill that roster spot? If so.....dooooooo iiiiittttt! :)

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Seems like they were trying to avoid sugery for Miller if they could. He's now out 6 weeks.

That leaves him 8-9 games at most to prove his health before the trade deadline. Maybe play him in the first 5 and then sit him before being traded?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It seems to me the kind of deal using Miller that would get a first would really be a pick upgrade swap. Like Miller with 50% retained to swap our 3rd or 4th for a late round 1st from a playoff team. If you are adding to pick total then a 1st seems like a stretch.
Why would a trading partner agree to that? As opposed to simply trading a lower-round (mid-round) pick? If the market rate is, e.g., a 3rd-rounder, and a trade partner lacks a 3rd rounder, I'd see them either:
a) offering a 2nd rounder as overpayment
b) offering a 4th plus an additional 5th, 6th, or 7th this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel bad for the guy with the injury and then COVID waylaying him. He's playing for his next and perhaps final NHL contract and he isn't able to get into the lineup. Does he get consideration to retain as the RHD going into next year? I know where I shake out on that idea - that I would like them to look elsewhere - but the possibility remains with how they've talked about him at times as a mentor for the younger guys.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I feel bad for the guy with the injury and then COVID waylaying him. He's playing for his next and perhaps final NHL contract and he isn't able to get into the lineup. Does he get consideration to retain as the RHD going into next year? I know where I shake out on that idea - that I would like them to look elsewhere - but the possibility remains with how they've talked about him at times as a mentor for the younger guys.

If they sign him as a 3rd pairing, then yes. Although I’d prefer if he was hitting the corner glass for another team.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He'd be my last resort if I couldn't trade or sign an upgrade

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I doubt he would want to be back here next season. But, you never know.

I never even think about re-signing him when it comes to talking about RHD moves for next season.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I mean, if the criteria for bringing UFAs back is just whether they're good in the locker room and not whether they're good on the ice (or even on the ice), then welcome back Cody Eakin! So, I'm with you -- I hope they look elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad