Colin Cowherd: "Soccer is a Big Four sport."

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Doesn't the EPL get better ratings than the NHL in america?

The earlier games (morning here in the US) have virtually no competition in terms of other sports on TV.

From a sports fans' perspective, it's actually a pretty nice buildup to college (American) football on Saturday and NFL football on Sunday.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
the only 2 team sports I watch are hockey and soccer. But if we're talking about league wise, if I catch 10 minutes of MLS in a single year it's a stretch. For me it's still unwatchable unless Miami finally gets it's team for which I would become an instant fan and go to games and watch them on tv. In the meantime, I have too much access to European and South American football to even bother.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think I could basically live with only baseball and soccer. Together they both are on year round. I just dont see soccer getting huge here for a long time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think soccer will surpass tackle football or basketball. If concussions makes tackle football lose a lot of popularity, maybe it could surpass that as well, but I don't think that will happen. I think soccer is the third most popular sport in the USA, but I think it has a long way to go before its close to tackle football or basketball.

In recent years, I'm not as much of a baseball, basketball or tackle football fan. I do watch some important playoff games, some important college games, select regular season games at times, but I'm rarely excited to watch those sports. The exceptions are that I'm a Jets and Mets fan, so I will watch both those teams, and I'm really excited to watch those two teams play, but the average baseball, basketball or tackle football game is just not something that I am really interested in watching most of the time.

I could watch just about any hockey game, soccer game or golf tournament. Those are my three favorite viewing sports in recent years. It helps that I have favorite teams and athletes in those sports, but those sports are much more interesting to me even when I don't really care who wins.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It grows, but even I, as a non NA, have heard that story before. Soccer is supposed to take off since Pele joined NY Cosmos. Meanwhile, when I was in Oregon, the bar keeper of a sports bar slandered me badly when I asked him to turn on a WC match (2014).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Personally I'm ecstatic to not live on a continent where you have to hear about the "big three" boringest sports in the world baseball, american football and basketball. Here in the Czech Republic the only sports that really matter are hockey and soccer, with an honourable mention for non-team sport tennis, and as far as I'm concerned that is the most ideal constellation possible.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Personally I'm ecstatic to not live on a continent where you have to hear about the "big three" boringest sports in the world baseball, american football and basketball. Here in the Czech Republic the only sports that really matter are hockey and soccer, with an honourable mention for non-team sport tennis, and as far as I'm concerned that is the most ideal constellation possible.
Baseball is not a sport tbh

In b4 "try to hit a ball at X mph!"

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Most posters saying baseball isn't a sport would probably opt out a quarter way through the 162 game season from all the nicks and bruises nevermind any potential serious injury.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I don't think soccer will surpass tackle football or basketball. If concussions makes tackle football lose a lot of popularity, maybe it could surpass that as well, but I don't think that will happen. I think soccer is the third most popular sport in the USA, but I think it has a long way to go before its close to tackle football or basketball.

The problem for soccer ever passing the big 3 American sports is that we would have to become a legitimate soccer power with a domestic league that attracts the best players in the world to even think about overtaking them. Soccer offers the cool little difference to the American sports fan where we're actually the underdog, and there is obviously a growing appeal. But at the end of the day in a country with practically unlimited sporting options, the most popular sports are usually going to be the one's we're the best at, or at least were great at at one time (looking in your direction baseball).

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I have a soft spot for baseball. Was the sport I was raised on and played most as a little kid. I barely watch it now days, I do go to some MLB games, so I still pay more attention to it than the MLS.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This shouldn't be surprising for two reasons:

1. He's in California... even with the Kings winning 2 cups they'll never be looked at the same way as the Lakers. It's the same reason football hasn't survived there.

2. The NHL is the marketed the poorest. Forget about the players not being marketed.... the Stanley Cup wasn't even exclusively on NBC which lowers viewership. How can the NHL grow if no one watches the games? And since no one watches the game ESPN refuses to acknowledge its existence. BTW I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time Cowherd has said something like this either.... I also believe he has said that MMA is more popular too

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Colin's a soccer fan and big on the business of sports, and soccer is being pretty heavily promoted by his station so I think that factors in quite a bit. The NHL is dying in America, so I guess it's possible soccer eventually overtakes it. But if he's suggesting soccer is going to emerge into an actual big four sport, it ain't gonna happen. The NHL just might dip so low that there's only a big three.

To each their own, but to say soccer is more exciting than football or basketball is just unfathomable to me. Forget about the fact that there's no scoring (because that's a problem in hockey as well), there's no legitimate action (like scoring chances) for probably 90% of the game. Not to mention you have a sport where you can't use your hands and guys flop like they're getting shot. I know people worldwide are raised with it and naturally like it, but it doesn't have the most scoring, the most action, take the most skill nor athleticism, and the players flop around like pansies and essentially can't use half their body.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
To each their own, but to say soccer is more exciting than football or basketball is just unfathomable to me. Forget about the fact that there's no scoring (because that's a problem in hockey as well), there's no legitimate action (like scoring chances) for probably 90% of the game. Not to mention you have a sport where you can't use your hands and guys flop like they're getting shot. I know people worldwide are raised with it and naturally like it, but it doesn't have the most scoring, the most action, take the most skill nor athleticism, and the players flop around like pansies and essentially can't use half their body.

I think the main difference with soccer is it has the added value of watching a sport you also play, and soccer is one of the easiest sports to play anywhere and the one that most people in the world play. For me it's basically the only sport that's possible to play regularly.

I can understand the position of it being not as exciting as hockey. But for me american football is a sport where nothing is ever happening. For someone who didn't grow up with it it looks like everyone just standing around all the time - ten minutes go by then they play for like 30 seconds and then you have to wait again before anything happens. Basketball has lots of scoring, yes, but it's like the opposite extreme. The teams just go back and forth scoring and occasionally someone misses or gets blocked or the ball gets stolen but for the most part there doesn't seem to be much complexity to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad