Colin Cowherd: "Soccer is a Big Four sport."

Jul 26, 2007
Vermont
I think we can agree that they are two of the most difficult positions, but I still think catching is more difficult, probably from experience. Respect to keepers though.

Catchers have to know their pitching staff and know scouting reports for the opposing batters to call the game. They have to frame 80-100MPH pitches to make balls look like strikes, block pitches in the dirt, and throw out base stealers. Then on top of all that, they have to get up there and hit at least ~0.250, which is in fact the hardest thing to do in sports.

No, it's not. Unless you mean in the four main North American sports, which even this is still debatable.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
No, it's not. Unless you mean in the four main North American sports, which even this is still debatable.

Yes, it is. You have about 150-200 milliseconds to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. You have that little amount of time to recognize a fastball, breaking ball, changeup, etc and then actually execute a perfect swing. For comparison, it takes 400 milliseconds to blink.

What? Hitting a baseball is obviously harder than putting one of these in the back of the net even once in your career:

Yeah, lets compare one specific extraordinary goal to the average hit in baseball. That'd be like me comparing a 550ft homerun to a penalty kick.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Yes, it is. You have about 150-200 milliseconds to decide whether or not to swing at a pitch. You have that little amount of time to recognize a fastball, breaking ball, changeup, etc and then actually execute a perfect swing. For comparison, it takes 400 milliseconds to blink.

Yeah, lets compare one specific extraordinary goal to the average hit in baseball. That'd be like me comparing a 550ft homerun to a penalty kick.

pfft, anyone can hit a Mantleesque tape measure home run in little league, it's basic baseball :sarcasm:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What? Hitting a baseball is obviously harder than putting one of these in the back of the net even once in your career:

Yeah, it definitely is. I can hit that shot with no keeper in the net.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And I'm pretty awesome against a pitching machine once I've got a couple of beers in me ;)

Ep9EEoy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad