Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: POWERPLAY GOALS, ZAR, EMPTY NETTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Caps are so bad. They haven't played a good game out of the three and yet we've barely won. It's embarrassing they were even in this game. Shows how bad we are too. Vanacek was really bad tonight too.

It's funny watching the BART line control the puck against their top lines but not even get within sniffing distance of a shot. It's fine if that's your fourth line, but they need to produce something if they're our third.

+ Rust putting some chances away
+ Movement on the PP finally. How fricken hard was that? Did NHL superstars really need to be told that you have to skate and try to score in order to score? SMH. Who would have thought that the threat of actual shots would open something up down low.
+ Matheson did the thing! Smooth play on the goal, otherwise stayed out of trouble.
- Letang still trying to do way too much with the puck. Where the coaching at?
+/- POJ is playing like a very talented rookie. Glad he's got the chance to play through it with the injuries. I hope he gets to keep playing when we're healthy, but he's making 3-4 unforced mistakes of the type the coaches always hate every game.
- Why isn't Kapanen on the PK? Especially when it's doing so badly? Could use a boost there and it's one of his biggest weapons. Sully going galaxy brain. This is almost as bad as left wing Iginla.
+ Marino. Much better tonight, even with the booboos he made. He's pretty dominant skating the puck out even if he's not a threat offensively. He really is right handed Dumo.
+ Ceci?? Played with a lot of confidence.
+ Guentzel starting to look like Guentzel again. Could've easily had another one or two.
+ Jarry was NHL quality tonight. Not at fault for any of the goals.

Great post. And didn't mention the 2nd line once, which I and everyone here is guilty of harping on.

But there's much more to the game.
BART did generate a goal so there's that. I remember last year despite all the slobbering about them they stunk at generating actual quality scoring chances. However I think this year Teddy (and dare I say ZAR?) may be evolved as offensive hockey players. We can hope.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don’t see them moving Zucker with the 1st we traded for him floating unprotected.

Nor would burying him on the 4th line rather than try to get some value back for him to build a better team and keep that pick from being lotto territory.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
When you see people posting that Crosby makes the team worse

In general this is an incredibly stupid take, I agree.

In the specific case of last year, when Sid came back and played defense with total indifference that rubbed off on the team and actively hurt us.

Moving forward though I want to see Sid best set up to succeed as he is our best player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What is Zucker and what kind of center would he fit well with?

Or is his best position as a line-driver for a solid 3rd line? His physical tools in hands and skating are there but his offensive IQ is average.

Hypothetically Zucker-Blueger-Kapanen is an amazing 3rd line but that leaves a void with Malkin.

at this point, I’d rather have ZAR and Tanev play with Geno...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we can get a functioning line with Zucker - McCann - Sceviour that won’t be L4.

Sully will play BART over that line all day.

No shame in moving on from Zucker. He still has value but may not be the right fit for what we need. This would almost be an exact replica of Perron/Hags. Get a less productive player but better fit, improve the team but lose out on a potentially great pick like Barzal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sully will play BART over that line all day.

No shame in moving on from Zucker. He still has value but may not be the right fit for what we need. This would almost be an exact replica of Perron/Hags. Get a less productive player but better fit, improve the team but lose out on a potentially great pick like Barzal.

The shame is if we miss the playoffs and the trade doesn’t work out you’ve lost a lottery unprotected 1st and the player.

Also, Zucker fits here. Just not with Malkin. I dunno, I just let it play out versus trading him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The shame is if we miss the playoffs and the trade doesn’t work out you’ve lost a lottery unprotected 1st and the player.

Also, Zucker fits here. Just not with Malkin.

You get the player you traded Zucker for? I mean, yeah you don’t abandon hope on the season because of that lotto pick looming over your head, but that’s in the past. You try to build the best team you can now and move past it.

Jake and Sid ain’t getting separated so it is what it is. If Zucker doesn’t fit with Malkin, he’s running out of use for this team at 5+ mil.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You get the player you traded Zucker for? I mean, yeah you don’t abandon hope on the season because of that lotto pick looming over your head, but that’s in the past. You try to build the best team you can now and move past it.

Jake and Sid ain’t getting separated so it is what it is. If Zucker doesn’t fit with Malkin, he’s running out of use for this team at 5+ mil.

Maybe we move him for Bennett and a 1st?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
+to @Zirakzigil for all the Anne Hathaway gifs
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad