Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Total Domination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Yes, because Engo's presence really would have been an on ice deterrent. :shakehead

Engo's place is in the press box. This is something that should be addressed by addressing size and grit in the top nine, not by dressing the Pens 7th best defenseman for the sake of his supposedly being some kind of deterrent.

Even though Eaton's played a few good games, he's not better than Engelland. Doubt any GM in the league would rather have Eaton over Engo, as evidenced by Eaton being out of the league up until a few weeks ago.

That being said, I'd put Engo on the 4th line instead of Glass. He can't possibly be any worse.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It did seem like they were going after Sid more than usual early on. Maybe they still would have with Engo in there but it may not be a coincidence that it was happening with him out of there.

I'm all for adding more size and grit in the bottom 6 but it isn't there right now and that lineup is super soft without Engelland. I'd have him in there even if it meant playing 7 D. Not much loss in doing that since the 4th line sucks anyway. Just scratch one of those guys.

I don't know why this team doesn't just go with 7D, scratch Glass and double shift Crosby (and Malkin when he's back) whenever the 4th line is due up.

Win-win-win. Crosby/Malkin make that 4th line dangerous, Engelland dresses, and Glass doesn't.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Eaton, Niskanen and Despres all with around 15 minutes TOI. Tanger and Martin with 25+ and Brooks with nearly 23.

I would definitely say Shero is in the market for Letang's partner. Can't see them going into the postseason without 4 guys they trust to play 20+.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I don't know why this team doesn't just go with 7D, scratch Glass and double shift Crosby (and Malkin when he's back) whenever the 4th line is due up.

Win-win-win. Crosby/Malkin make that 4th line dangerous, Engelland dresses, and Glass doesn't.

Yes please.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Also the funniest thing about TK's goal is that it screwballed perfectly in. Lundqvist had the entire short side covered. Hillarious. TK with the snipe.

Lol he should have never shot the puck from that angle. When he wound up I remember saying "No...don't". Can't complain about it now though.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

23 minutes each for Crosby and Malkin and 15 for Sutter?

Well, that's cup-winning coaching. I'll never understand why the top two guys don't get more minutes.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013

Hell, if we have 7D, throw Despres on a 4th line shift or two during the game. You put him up there with Crosby/Malkin and Vitale to dig out pucks, they're not just grinding *****es down, they're dangerous off the rush.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I didn't think of that - but you, sir, win. Great call. You can even move ANY winger who is getting less time and get them out there to act as a 4th line. It doesn't have to just be a center.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
RE: Sidney Crosby

In the games against Boston and Rangers today he hasn't gotten a point but he's looked incredible and had chances where he's missed when he should've scored or been let down by team mates. Does anyone else think that he could break the 70 point barrier this season? He's on 47 so far with I think 29 games played.

He's due a big game where he gets a hat-trick I reckon.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

half of that duo is missing. I'm guessing they go with 7D as soon as Geno is healthy.

Missed the game. Sid had no points. He sucks? Lazy?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
RE: Sidney Crosby

In the games against Boston and Rangers today he hasn't gotten a point but he's looked incredible and had chances where he's missed when he should've scored or been let down by team mates. Does anyone else think that he could break the 70 point barrier this season? He's on 47 so far with I think 29 games played.

He's due a big game where he gets a hat-trick I reckon.

Sid and Geno haven't scored in 2 of the last 3 games and we have won both of them that wouldn't of been possible earlier in the season with the way our defense was playing. Its good that pens are playing good defense and don't need their stars to put up 2 or 3 points a game to win their gonna need to win allot of playoff games like this if they want to make a long playoff run.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sid and Geno haven't scored in 2 of the last 3 games and we have won both of them that wouldn't of been possible earlier in the season with the way our defense was playing. Its good that pens are playing good defense and don't need their stars to put up 2 or 3 points a game to win their gonna need to win allot of playoff games like this if they want to make a long playoff run.

this is what I want us to do. Play like we did in 2010 without Sid and Geno. Except with Sid and Geno :laugh:

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Even though Eaton's played a few good games, he's not better than Engelland. Doubt any GM in the league would rather have Eaton over Engo, as evidenced by Eaton being out of the league up until a few weeks ago.

That being said, I'd put Engo on the 4th line instead of Glass. He can't possibly be any worse.

Engelland has played forward before. . . Did it with Hershey a few times when they were winning championships.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
+++ Fleury steals the franchise record for blank sheets from Bar*******
++ Martin had a fantastic game. Hands down.
+ Orpik for actually showing up
+ Team can find a way to win without a single point coming from Malkin, Crosby or Neal.

- Eaton didn't look too good today. Seeing him fan on that open one-timer on that 2 on 1 early on was just... :fail:
- Crosby letting Girardi into his head. No points after the **** he pulled? Come on, Sid.
- Glass. Can this dude do anything right? Why can't we just run 11 forwards and 7 defensemen already?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
+++ Fleury steals the franchise record for blank sheets from Bar*******
++ Martin had a fantastic game. Hands down.
+ Orpik for actually showing up
+ Team can find a way to win without a single point coming from Malkin, Crosby or Neal.

- Eaton didn't look too good today. Seeing him fan on that open one-timer on that 2 on 1 early on was just... :fail:
- Crosby letting Girardi into his head. No points after the **** he pulled? Come on, Sid.
- Glass. Can this dude do anything right? Why can't we just run 11 forwards and 7 defensemen already?

You're giving Girardi credit for Sid not scoring?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah I don't understand that. Sid was unreal after DG did that. Puck just didn't go in. Hank made HUGE saves.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
So, is it too early to order a Beau Bennett jersey?

Like, if I commit to it, does Shero trade him for a winger for Sid the next day?

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
+Beau. He really is wow-ing me; he is now carrying the puck with authority and confidence; meanwhile, he continues to be tough/physical in puck battles, and his vision/passing/skill are shocking. From a creativity and play-making standpoint, I can't think of any of our forwards outside of Sid/Geno who I would say are showing more in that department. His play today moved -- in my opinion -- from the "pretty darn good, for a rookie" level, to simply "pretty doggone good, period." His confidence has really come on -- each game. You can see it. Jitters were there the first couple...fumbling pucks off of his stick, etc. Now -- he is asserting himself. He is beginning to remind me of how Jagr started to show his skill early on in his first season. Beau makes VERY few mistakes; does all the little things well. I am fully impressed, and he should not sit, nor move off the second line.

+MAF. Super game; didn't look shaky even ONCE, IMO. Steady, confident, and well-positioned.

+Martin. Excellent, tenacious, smart game.

+Duper. What a goal.

+Despres. He should never sit another game this year.

+PK. It's a different unit out there, the past few games. Problem = solved.

+Overall D play. Improved recently, to a great degree, IMO.

+Sid and his line, AGAIN.

-Glass. He had a bit more hustle today, I thought, but he has ZERO, from a "skilled" perspective, and just needs to be scratched.

-Sid having to respond HIMSELF to getting punched in the head, but...
+for the team remaining disciplined despite the cheap shot.

As has been said, there's a fine line, and I don't like cheap shots -- even to avenge a cheap shot. BUT -- I DO think we need to have a line or two, which contains a player or two who can ramp up the physicality BETWEEN the whistles when one of our guys (especially Sid/Geno) takes a cheap shot. A couple of shifts of really tough, aggressive checks as "payback," would perhaps send the message, without having to engage in a way that results in instigator/retaliatory penalties that put us short-handed. I guess I'd like to see the Pens disciplined, smart, and no dumb penalties, but with a swagger that says -- "don't jack with our superstars, got it?"

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I kind of like this idea of splitting Sid and Geno on the PP. Haven't thought about that before, but as I think about it, it is interesting. It would be PARTICULARLY interesting if we had one more highly skilled forward, but even as is, what would you all think of this:

Units have the same forwards as the top two ES lines...

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Martin-Letang

Bennett--Malkin--Neal
Despres-Nisky

It perhaps could be argued that since both of our star centers are most familiar with their own linemates, that they could carry the familiarity/chemistry to the PP in a potentially positive way. You could switch which unit goes out on the PP depending upon which line is most rested at the time of the penalty. If Sid's line was on most recently, Geno's PP unit goes on. Or, vice versa.

If we somehow got Iginla, moved Dupers to the third line, and then inserted Iginla as Sid's other wing on the PP -- those two units would TERRORIZE opponents, IMO.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Watching the game, my thoughts through 1:

Sid's vision and passing are better than they've ever been, but he needs to shoot more. That chance in the first minute of the game when he's alone in front of Lundqvist... He can roof it there, unless he feels he's just too close. But I think he's trying to fine tune things a bit too much.

Also, I don't know if this has any merit in reality, but I swear Sid is struggling on face-offs against RHS. I don't know if there's a reason it should be happening, but I swear there's a pattern there.

Teams having trouble dealing with the Pens forecheck. Not much work at all for Flower so far.

Listening to Dupers talk about how the Pens talked about how they needed to be more aggressive on the PK.

WEIRD. I thought there was no proof that they were being passive/needed to be more aggressive. So odd hearing him say that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I kind of like this idea of splitting Sid and Geno on the PP. Haven't thought about that before, but as I think about it, it is interesting. It would be PARTICULARLY interesting if we had one more highly skilled forward, but even as is, what would you all think of this:

Units have the same forwards as the top two ES lines...

Kunitz-Sid-Duper
Martin-Letang

Bennett--Malkin--Neal
Despres-Nisky

It perhaps could be argued that since both of our star centers are most familiar with their own linemates, that they could carry the familiarity/chemistry to the PP in a potentially positive way. You could switch which unit goes out on the PP depending upon which line is most rested at the time of the penalty. If Sid's line was on most recently, Geno's PP unit goes on. Or, vice versa.

If we somehow got Iginla, moved Dupers to the third line, and then inserted Iginla as Sid's other wing on the PP -- those two units would TERRORIZE opponents, IMO.

mentioned this in another thread where this was brought up:

You've put the 3 best PP one-timers on the same line and left Sid's unit to muck and grind in a PP situation. I think you need to put one of the one-timers on his unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad