Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers - Total Domination

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
So, is it too early to order a Beau Bennett jersey?

Like, if I commit to it, does Shero trade him for a winger for Sid the next day?

I got a t shirt with his name on it today. Was debating him or Despres and figured I'd go with Beau because I feel like he's less likely to get traded. I got a Jordan Staal t shirt in April... It was good for all of a few months.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
LA D Jake Muzzin sums up nicely what we could use as an addition in any trade, minus the not being a fighter part. Engo is technically not an enforcer but he still fights. We need another Engo (on either side of the puck, preferably a F):

No, I’m not a fighter, I just didn’t like seeing my teammate get hit like that, so I had to do something about it. So I stepped in and I tried my best. When a teammate is vulnerable like that, you look after your teammate. You don’t want them running around, thinking they can do that all the time. I mean, it’s tough. You know the puck’s in the guy’s skates. You know he’s vulnerable, and he takes advantage of him. I don’t like seeing a teammate get hit like that. So I went in.

ericfg

Sep 3, 2010
Naples, Fl.
10:39

Oh yeah.. SHUT OUT!!! Franchise record. Congratulations Flower!!!
Congrats indeed, MAF. While I am a big Barrasso fan I think MAF is now the best goalie we ever had. I just wish he could be, like, 10% more consistent. If that were so he'd be a top-5 goalie. Right now he floats from there to top-20 (about league average). We all know he 'can do it' (aka that save) but those soff goals and horrendous games/series (vs. Philly last year for one) make me scratch my head sometimes

I was under the impression that MAF was ideologically opposed to shutouts. Good for him, I'm glad he got the record.
That's funny stuff! :yo: He does seem to let in that one, single puck far more often that a top-5 goalie should it seems to me.
But we could be a lot worse off, a lot worse off.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
LA D Jake Muzzin sums up nicely what we could use as an addition in any trade, minus the not being a fighter part. Engo is technically not an enforcer but he still fights. We need another Engo (on either side of the puck, preferably a F):

I agree, but we don't even use the Engo we have now.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Were finally playing like our cup years. Were playing defense and backchecking too!!! Lets hope we dont forget once we hit the playoffs. I wonder why it took them so long to remember how well this style works for the,

Nei1ey*

This is the type of Kennedy we need. Even without the goal, he was tenacious on the fore-check and on the cycle. If he keep playing like this, i hope we don't trade him at the deadline. He's a key component on that 3rd line.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dunno if anyone noticed, but almost positive Sid grabbed the puck at the end and put it in Flower's mitt at the end. More great awareness from the Captain.

(And yes, just making up reasons to praise him at this point)

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
Watching the game, my thoughts through 1:

Sid's vision and passing are better than they've ever been, but he needs to shoot more. That chance in the first minute of the game when he's alone in front of Lundqvist... He can roof it there, unless he feels he's just too close. But I think he's trying to fine tune things a bit too much.

Also, I don't know if this has any merit in reality, but I swear Sid is struggling on face-offs against RHS. I don't know if there's a reason it should be happening, but I swear there's a pattern there.

Teams having trouble dealing with the Pens forecheck. Not much work at all for Flower so far.

Listening to Dupers talk about how the Pens talked about how they needed to be more aggressive on the PK.

WEIRD. I thought there was no proof that they were being passive/needed to be more aggressive. So odd hearing him say that.

It seemed like Root sports had some inside info on the Pens practicing a more agressive PK (There were multiple questions asked about the PK of multiple players in post game interviews over the last few games).

So, I'm glad the Pens are trying to be more aggressive on the PK. After the last Bruins game, I thought the Pens could take a lesson from them. When the Pens were near the top of the PK in the NHL, they were more aggressive. So, I hope the Pens continue to be more aggressive and possibly add someone by the trade deadline that can replace Glass.

MichiganWolverines

Big Mac Attack
Jul 3, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I agree, but we don't even use the Engo we have now.

I do not understand what Dan Bylsma wants from Deryk Engelland. Engelland has played well the last few games. During the Leafs game on Thursday, Deryk Engelland played a solid physical shutdown game. He was clearing the net, pretty good positionally, good decision-making, made solid outlet passes and he was great at getting the puck out of his own end.

Deryk Engelland needs to play with more consistency. But, the team needs his size, physical presence and fighting ability. Mark Eaton is a good extra defenseman, but I do not want to see him in the line-up when Deryk Engelland and Robert Bortuzzo are on the team (if they are not injured).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I do not understand what Dan Bylsma wants from Deryk Engelland. Engelland has played well the last few games. During the Leafs game on Thursday, Deryk Engelland played a solid physical shutdown game. He was clearing the net, pretty good positionally, good decision-making, made solid outlet passes and he was great at getting the puck out of his own end.

Deryk Engelland needs to play with more consistency. But, the team needs his size, physical presence and fighting ability. Mark Eaton is a good extra defenseman, but I do not want to see him in the line-up when Deryk Engelland and Robert Bortuzzo are on the team (if they are not injured).

I'm not defending Bylsma's roster decisions, because I too think Engelland should be dressed, especially with the powder puff 4th line "fighters" we have to provide toughness to the team, but I think a lot of it has to do with the hand he shoots.

With Eaton in, it allows them to go with three lefties on the left side, with only Martin playing his "off" side. With Engelland in, that means that a righty is going to have to play the left side ... which for whatever reason, seems to be tougher for righties to do than lefties on their wrong side.

At least that's my theory.

Personally, I'd rather see Engelland dressed over Eaton. Or at the very least, dress 7 defensemen and scratch Tanner Glass, then just split his 10 or so minutes of ice time up among the other 11 forwards.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
I wouldn't worry about Defenceman getting benched. We have 7 D; all of which the team obviously wants to get playtime so they will rotate, likely between Engelland, Despres and Eaton on healthy scratches. Helps them keep rested, and see the game from above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad