Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Rangers SLOP FEST!!!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It doesn't help that he literally waits until someone is in front of him before he shoots.

It's hard when you have 3 stars like Crosby/Malkin/Neal on the powerplay to just bury your head and fire away. That's what made Sarge such a huge asset on the powerplay. He was so comfortable, he'd take it into his own hands instead of forcing the puck to our stars.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
It's hard when you have 3 stars like Crosby/Malkin/Neal on the powerplay to just bury your head and fire away. That's what made Sarge such a huge asset on the powerplay. He was so comfortable, he'd take it into his own hands instead of forcing the puck to our stars.

All he has to do is get the puck to the net. Hitting shin pads does nothing except lead to shorthanded chances. I don't care if the goalie has a clear look at the puck. Letang absolutely needs to get the puck to the net at a better rate than he has been - we know Sid or Neal can deflect pucks just fine.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Put Malkin on the RHB, Letang on the LHB, Crosby behind the net/rover and Neal in front. Let Morrow QB the PP from the umbrella.

Morrow has a cannon, is a sick passer, doesn't hesitate and is a true presence on the PP teams will have to respect.

He doesn't **** around. The puck is literally off his stick in a heartbeat. He makes decisions before he gets the puck, unlike Captain Clutch.

What u described is what i have claimed the team has missed for years now. Good power plays are direct The NHL PK is too good to think you will simply out pass them from a flat setup.

Having a guy who uses his shot is key. When you shoot, the PK must react, you have more players in position to retrieve rebounds or pucks of boards. And upon retrieval the PK is running around, transferring coverage, running back to assignments. That is when you get over commitment, and much better lanes open up. Suddenly a fake one timer has guys leaping for blocks

Think to the caps old power play when it was awesome. All i remember is shot after shot coming from Ovie, and me squeezing my couch in tension. Our guys were sliding all over to get blocks and we would end up out of position.

The shot forces movement from the PP too. Something we also desperately need.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What u described is what i have claimed the team has missed for years now. Good power plays are direct The NHL PK is too good to think you will simply out pass them from a flat setup.

Having a guy who uses his shot is key. When you shoot, the PK must react, you have more players in position to retrieve rebounds or pucks of boards. And upon retrieval the PK is running around, transferring coverage, running back to assignments. That is when you get over commitment, and much better lanes open up. Suddenly a fake one timer has guys leaping for blocks

Think to the caps old power play when it was awesome. All i remember is shot after shot coming from Ovie, and me squeezing my couch in tension. Our guys were sliding all over to get blocks and we would end up out of position.

The shot forces movement from the PP too. Something we also desperately need.

Morrow just needs to keep playing steady hockey and get himself on the short list.

Then when he is up people can make up their own minds about him.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Morrow just needs to keep playing steady hockey and get himself on the short list.

Then when he is up people can make up their own minds about him.

I agree with you that Morrow will be big for the PP - in time. Considering the absence of blue liners who could otherwise do the trick on the NHL roster, he might even help there now.
But with what he has done so far in WBS; how much development is still needed defensively and how little he has done on the PP down there... I think he is one for next season.
Which would be more than fine also.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with you that Morrow will be big for the PP - in time. Considering the absence of blue liners who could otherwise do the trick on the NHL roster, he might even help there now.
But with what he has done so far in WBS; how much development is still needed defensively and how little he has done on the PP down there... I think he is one for next season.
Which would be more than fine also.

Something really bad would have to happen for him to be up this season.

I don't like really bad things.

They are... bad.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Letang isn't bad on the PP, and he's a righty... so there's absolutely zero chance he's off of it.

Remember last year when he was out? The PP was abysmal... and you can't spell Abysmal without Byslma.

I don't know where that last part came from or why I threw it in but I just noticed that and I may be drinking.

Letang is bad on the powerplay. He in no way, shape, or form should be QB'ing.

If there was an adequate replacement anywhere, Letang would have been off the top unit a long time ago.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
It's pretty hypocritical of you to ***** about MAF almost getting scored on in the OTT game and completely disregard all the Pipes the Rags hit last night.

But hey, haters gotta hate.

It's worth noting that the first post came off a redirection that no goalie would have stopped. The second one was one he could have prevented. In the end being responsible for one post against is a pretty good day.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just noting that a shot that hits the post isn't even considered a shot. It's considered a missed shot. A shot has always been defined as a puck that would have been a goal if a goaltender was not in the net.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The only problem with Morrow is he's yet another lefty on a PP full of lefties. Where does Morrow go when he gets up here? Then there will be 4 players that all like to occupy the same general area of the ice.

We'll still need a righty to provide a onetime option on the left side of the ice.

Morrow will take Gonchar's spot eventually. Letang could then play in Sullivan's spot but with less puckhandling responsibility hopefully. Less decision making would go a long way to helping him look good there imo.

The problem then comes when we realize we have to make one of our 3 star scorers the net front guy or sit one of them. Or go without a net front guy. Sid could obviously do everything Kunitz does but better, but I don't know if they want him to. Hopefully by the time Morrow is in the equation, we have that net front guy. I hope by the time Morrow is here we'll be looking at having two legit PP units.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Morrow will take Gonchar's spot eventually. Letang could then play in Sullivan's spot but with less puckhandling responsibility hopefully. Less decision making would go a long way to helping him look good there imo.

The problem then comes when we realize we have to make one of our 3 star scorers the net front guy or sit one of them. Or go without a net front guy. Sid could obviously do everything Kunitz does but better, but I don't know if they want him to. Hopefully by the time Morrow is in the equation, we have that net front guy. I hope by the time Morrow is here we'll be looking at having two legit PP units.

Neal is a big body who can play in front of the net, then slide to the circles to get off his one timer.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Neal is a big body who can play in front of the net, then slide to the circles to get off his one timer.
true. And that was a nice deflection the other night obviously. I just haven't really seen him play the net before but he should be good at it. He'd be a lot more dynamic there than Kunitz as long as he's willing to take the abuse.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
true. And that was a nice deflection the other night obviously. I just haven't really seen him play the net before but he should be good at it. He'd be a lot more dynamic there than Kunitz as long as he's willing to take the abuse.
And there is no rule the the net front guy has to park there and take abuse, having a couple guys, sid and neal, near the crease who are mobile enough to skate in front of the goalie when the shot is released is just as effective.

Wonder what it would take to pry gonch out of ottowa, he would be a great stopgap/ mentor til morrow is ready.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
With Spezza out for the remainder of the season basically, they may well become sellers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad